D2D Recap

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Nosi, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Nosi

Nosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Home safe, can't wait to see all the great pics! Wish it was as nice in Anchorage as it was in Dawson:cry

Great to finally meet all of everyone from the forums, I can't wait to do that again.
  2. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    <--- Made it back safe & intact as well.

That was a fun ride, put me down for 2008 !!!
  3. Skyd1v

Skyd1v ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, y'all! Looking forward to the pics.:D

Blue skies/
  4. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    +1

Had a great time, wish I was still up there. Pix on the way...
  5. jimblack

jimblack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great ride. Made it home last eve with AKDUC. Don't ever believe that those KLR thumpers only cruise at 70mph...........
    Enjoyed meeting all the riders in Dawson. First time to Dawson in the summer.
    Great ride.

4200 miles on 07 GSA in 2 months.
  6. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    The bike was in the barn at 2300 hours last night after a 'saddle sore 1000' ride from Dawson (leaving @ 0645 hours YK time) to Anchorage via Whitehorse-Beaver Creek-Tok-ect--1087 miles in 18 hours with 8 fuel stops. And the 'day-long' proves you can have the saddle time with out the sore! Saw more bikes than cars on the roads.
    Good seeing you all in the Klondike!
    Congrades to Nosi! Did the GPS help guide you home?
  7. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul...

Congrats on your successful SS.....I am jonesing for some pix of D2D???:deal :webers :lift :grinner :velvt :jose :lol2 :brow :kbasa :dg :0-0 :type
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Awesome return trip with the exception of a "little get off" by one of our group. :eek1 Glad she's ok. Bike's just a little scratched and broken but got her home ok. Barb said while sliding through the gravel she was actually thinking something to the effect of how glad she was wearing ATGATT as opposed to a t-shirt clad gal seen earlier. :deal

Here's a first photo with some big D2D "players" in it. Fighter and crew handing out this year's D2D stickers. Here they're giving one to Nosi, aka Brian, who was overall winner of this years bike games on his new little DR. And he had to be talked into entering! Notice the Garmin Zumo (graciously donated by GlacierCraft Scott) that Brian won only an hour earlier is already mounted complements of Beezer Tom and crew! :D

[​IMG]
  9. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Well the penguin and I did a Dawson to Wasilla yesterday that was a long 2up ride but made it. we were playing tag with Barb and she had a little get off on the new ride.:eek1 :eek1
  10. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Made it back to the barn at about 7:30 last night. Tag teamed it back with a bunch of folks who managed to catch the motorhome parade between the boarder and Chicken. I've never seen so many road barns on that stretch of road before! I traveled a goodly portion of the way back with Nosi, but he decided to stop for a little kip at a pullout around the Nabesna junction. I think it may have had something to do with celebrting a new Zumo too much the night before. Anyway, I figured he'd be able to navigate back so I kept on toward home. Thanks to the group as a whole for another fun D2D!
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    We Pass over 75 road barns ( I like that name) on the Tayler thats way more then I have seen there and thay are getting bigger:eek1 :eek1 mostly bus type I guess the gas price's aren't high enuff yet.
  12. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Paul called me this afternoon and wanted me to thank everyone for there help. I passed his bike that was trailered in from Tok. He should have it at the time of this posting, Thanks guys. And a big thanks to Pam (Legion's wife) for the evac ride to the hospital.

As suspected Pauls shoulder is toast. Separated bad enough to require surgery and have it wired back together. I still cant believe he rode that way from Chicken! :eek1

Im not going to bother him tonight. But plan a visit tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted.
  13. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Update? I didn't hear about Paul.....Which Paul is injured?
  14. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Paul who?:eek1

15. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Can't recall his screen name. He's a fellow engineer and friend from the railroad.
  16. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Bummers for sure.....
  17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Red Haired with a Goatee?

Was riding a KLR. (I think?)

What happened????

Green shirt, blue shorts, wearing sunglasses
    [​IMG]
  18. AKTroy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

He wasnt smiling quite so much later. Flat tire 50 miles out of Dawson and then the ''get off'' just outside chicken.

From what I gathered he lost it in a "soft curve" and ended up down an embankment. Still upright and OK. Then opting not to wait for help, guns it trying to hop the embankment and lost it.
  19. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, that does seem part of the AdventureRider poster....sometimes shit happens...but, you always hate to hear when it does.
  20. lawdog

lawdog RYOB (Ride Your Own Bike)

Oddometer:
    You're right, that's him. He was pretty banged up when I into him in chicken but he felt pretty sure he could make it home. As it was, my wife and her sister (the unofficial Dust to Dawson "road angels") was already trailoring a GS for Hal who had a blown clutch seal. We offered to trailer the KLR from Chicken to Paul's home in Palmer. He wanted to make a go himself so we said we would look for him on the side of the road just in case he changed his mind. Once we arrived in Tok we got the word of the upcoming trip to the hospital. We loaded his bike on the trailer and delivered it to his wife around 1515 hrs today, the GS was safely home by 1545. One test item I got to experience was the "Air Hawk" seat cushion that the GS gladly offered. I can't yet put into words how much better it made my KLR seat. Let me just say that an "Air Hawk" is probably in the future for me. I had a fantastic time meeting all those I had only read about. I hope to meet you again in the future. However, my Air Force commitment is taking me away this fall to parts yet unknown. Blessings to all, Lawdog.
    P.S. Big congrats Nosi!!:clap