D2D Recap

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Nosi, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, I have nothing to apologize for. And, I have no pm's from you. Maybe you should check yours.
    We would all have had that info if you would have simply put it in this thread.
    Not really. "My experience is not very reassuring when dealing with cops of almost any ilk." And I agreed.
    Still, like it or not, was the best hammer we had here if enough peeps did report it.
  2. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Figured you would say that,,,,,,:nod

I sent it to you again.

Best hammer? You might wish to believe that, although I don't, never did.

I see the cops as the worst possible hammer, they only give a shit after someone has been hurt, before they could care less. No one has been hurt.

A public forum is not a place where I want to publish someone's personal contact info in, you can post it now that you have it.

Without proof of who was driving the vehicle, liability for his troubles could be directly related to this forum. Wise? You may think so, I don't wish to.

Go right ahead.....

Passed along through PM's and email is at least private info, not as much risk of trouble.
  3. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again? You never sent it to me before.
    I wish you would make up your mind. You contradict much of what you say in the PM.
    You also make a lot of claims about who knows what, but supply nothing to back it up.
    I want info that I can trust. I am done with this bs.
    D2D recap my ass. Turned to shit.

4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Temper temper,,,,
    :poser

They aren't my facts and never claimed them to be. And as you may have already found I will not answer the question "what is your goal"

From the beginning I have let it go as it will, I am not going to set a goal. That is your job, not mine.

Set your own damned goal....

My facts are stated, in my write up of being cut off.
    I never saw the guys face.

I was trying to assist in getting the word out, but by no means is it my information or my job to do so.

Try something new, take over and run with it.....Make us all proud..
  5. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    The objective really should be that this type of driving behavior ends before it results in a motorcyclist being injured or killed. It really doesn't need to be a fight, because as far as I know, nobody has been hurt yet. If this isn't the case, then its an entirely different situation.

Don't under estimate how much corporate types worry about liability. I know I'm repeating myself, but If an employee (or contractor) does something that injures somebody, thats bad. But if somebody gets hurt after the organization has been warned (in a manor they know is provable in court), then the victim, or their family is going to own them. They know that, and worry about that.

So really, if whatever organization is responsible for the lead driver is notified of the drivers actions, it is very likely they will take action on their own to fix the situation. They certainly know who the driver is, as the date, location, and description of the vehicle has been provided to them. I doubt they are going to release the driver information to anybody without a court order, but really it isn't necessary at this point. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any kind of admission of guilt or apology, it's just not going to happen, for the same reasons I mention in paragraph two.

I think that requesting a picture of the guy could be perceived as intimidation, so I suggest treading lightly at this point. ..of course it really doesn't matter what I think, I'm not an attorney. These are just my observations, nothing more.

Maybe the mods can move the posts from #124 on to a new thread, so as not to detract so much from the original subject.
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    You may be right on this subject, but I don't see the reason to tread lightly? Why?
    I thought it would be better than to blame the entire group to ask right up front for proof of who it was. Knowing it wouldn't be possible for them to out him. Then the entire group would be at fault by their own hands.

Why would you suggest an entire thread split?
    You gotta be kidding? OK, You got me,, I see the humor now!
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I have not ignored this issue in my standard Gusgus fashion I have been sending out emails.
    This is the latest answer with all contact info removed.

Hi Gusgus, (name changed for protecting the innocent :scratch )

Your question about bikes on the Dawson Ferry was forwarded to me from our WHERE Alaska website manager in Toronto.
    I followed up with Dawson Ferries by phone. The fellow I spoke to was unaware of the problem you mentioned with the RVs, and said as far as he knows, bikes are still treated as separate vehicles and parked as “filler” -- just as they are on the BC Ferries routes we travel.
    So I hope he’s right.

Good luck with your adventures!
    Cheers from
    Louise Phillips
    EDITOR
    Journeys West, Where Alaska & Yukon, The ESSENTIAL Vancouver

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]
  8. KLR650Canuk

KLR650Canuk Rasshøl

Oddometer:
    We passed these guys several times on the Alaska Highway between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson. I remember them because I have never heard of an "Excel" road barn before, and we passed a whole bunch of them. We stopped about every hour for a short stretch on the Iron Butt portion of the ride, so we seemed to pass the same cars and trucks several times.
    Maybe we pissed them off by passing (and re-passing) them on bad roads in the rain :flip , but it seemed a hell of lot safer to have these assholes in my mirror than getting stuck behind a convoy.
    We drove straight through to Dawson City that night(and the next morning), so that was the last we saw of them (Luckily).

Maybe this is the one good reason to "carry", eh? I would sanction that GusGus, a sidearm to fire a warning shot over the bow of RV'ers.:2guns
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Now that is some funny stuff, wait a minute I need to stop laughing!

OK that's better. ..
    Did you have any sort of incident with the excel jerk? The one we speak about is the one running a Freightliner with a large barn following closely behind as he crossed the centerline to thwart our acquisition of first place,(in front of him).
    He was the leader of the gang.

I didn't even think about how this fellow was acting until after we arrived home and the stories began to surface. Then we all realized it was the same guy, and the same vehicle. I much prefer this reality of not knowing at that time, as I might have been willing to force the issue.

But I would also appreciate if you would pass on to our Canadian friends(yes I said friends) to pay close attention to this group as Steve Bennet is the "convoy" leader each year of the excel motorbarn club and he has a less that sparkling admiration for motorcyclists.

Plus my belief is an area wide awareness, as well as public pressure from our biking buddies could help us all ride a safer road, without SB on it!
  10. KLR650Canuk

KLR650Canuk Rasshøl

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

They did not try and run us off the road, but I remember that they did not look very happy when I passed them. I thought that they were just miserable asshole types who are never happy.
    I do remember the tractor pulling a 5th wheel, but there was no incident.

We have enough to look out for on bikes, now we have to watch for motorists running us off the road.:boid
  11. Bretta on Shadow

Bretta on Shadow Bretta

Oddometer:
    I don't remember the road barns' brand names but I do remember the action:
    heading back to Anchorage from Dawson City, passing many of those succkers and each one seemed to have an agenda to pull to the left as we attempted passing.
    I would 'get' a space of two or three feet to complete the pass with the Top O' the World Hwy sloping away beside me....
    We thought it was just our two bikes but when we got to Chicken, other people talked about the same problem.
    As about 40 RVs were lined up for gasoline, we pulled to the front of the line where a new friend was filling up - I bought his gas to fill up with him....
    Now hearing all this I hope we pissed off all 40 of the road barns!!!! (or at least their drivers).