D2D Recap

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Nosi, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    You know that caravan of RV's some of you blew by on the Top of the World Highway? Would they by some chance have been "5th wheelers"? Does the name Excel bring back a memory or two? If so, I may have an amusing story to tell you....
  2. Paulmer

Paulmer F' this, I'm going riding

Oddometer:
    Well, at least I kept the spirit alive !
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Oh man, sorry about the surgery. I hope that shoulder heals well and fast
  4. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I just got a call from Dave who remembers seeing Excel on the back of a lot of those boxes, so here’s my story ...

It was 6:45 AM about a week after D2D and I was in line to board the 6:50 AM bus to go through Denali NP when this guy turned to me and said that this was a ‘private charter.’ Okay. I turned around and headed back to the front desk at the McKinley Chalet whatever when a uniformed driver came out. I showed him my ticket and asked what bus I was supposed to be on ... he pointed back at the one I’d just left. Turned out a group had bought 52 tickets on the bus that had 53 seats, and I was the odd man out. Determined to get my tour of Denali, I got back in line and got on the bus. Oh yeah, I was pissed. This joker, Stan, was the ‘host’ of the group and he didn’t want me on his bus ... tough! While listening to Stan complain to the driver to no avail, I sat down in the only seat available next to ‘grandma’ with my jaw set and temper barely in check. It was going to be an interesting 8 hour tour....

So much for the setup, now the fun part. After a while the somewhat cliquish group relaxed a bit and I asked a couple around me about the groups affiliation. “Excel”, they said, “fifth wheelers group” on a planned “trip through the Yukon and Alaska”, they said. “Really? How’s that work?”, I asked. Well, in short, they’re given a destination and a time to be there and they get there. Stan, is somehow affiliated with the manufacturer and in charge of it all. It’s weird to me, but after the first stop it started to makes sense. While walking back to the bus with the driver (and guide) we both stopped to admire the fact that they were all dutifully back on the bus ready to go without any coaxing. Figures ... sheep. Now during the next segment of the ride I overheard someone complaining about how rough the Top of the World Highway was and those damn motorcycles kicking up dust ... a light came on in my mind and what must have been an evil smile crept across my face ... I ask if they were in Dawson City and when? They tell me and then in a raised voice loud enough to be heard through most of the bus, I told them that was my group that passed them! Silence. Old Stan wouldn’t even look around. He looked straight ahead as I lectured the hapless about paying attention to driving their own rigs and not to worry about the motorcycles and, of course, I explained about gyroscopic effects of the wheels and how we use them to stay upright! We need to move for them to work! Boy, did I enjoy that!!! Poor old Stan was in for a long 7 ½ hour ride. After that I was in his face at every opportunity because old Stan made a mistake when he tried some physical intimidation that got him an elbow to the ribs. I made his life miserable. Especially with his comments about how caribou like to stay on the ice ‘because they can hide there’ ... Right. Anyway, from that point on I felt like a wolf in a heard of sheep and I’m sorry to say, I enjoyed it a little too much. So any of you who wanted a say ... I said it and they took it like sheep for almost 8 hours....
  5. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

GREAT STORY HARRY,
    I wonder if "Stan" was the same prick driving the FreightLiner/coach combo with the vanity plates that said "EXCEL". He pulled seriously to the left the first time I overtook his fat ass, but I figured he hadn't seen me. I stopped somewhere and later caught up to him again. The pencil-dick pulled the same shit a second time. I roosted him pretty hard and most likely peppered his high-dollar windshield.
    Ace told me "Stan" pulled the same crap on him. I'll have to do a search on this clown and see where his group is going next year.

Hey Stan..... remember me??? Fite
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Perfect !

Not sure how a sheep takes it but I'm certain several here will. After the wolf thing I can see why ole Stan didn't want anybody else on the bus. :1drink
  7. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Damn, I wish I knew if that was Stan in the Freighliner, odds are it was. I told this story last night at a dinner party and I was surprised how pissed I still was. I mean old Stan was surly way before he found out I was a biker. And you're right about him being fat, Fighter.

Now, Legion, what I meant by sheep taking it was about them suffering me in silence knowing I was the enemy and they couldn't do a damned thing about it. Really, there wasn't a pair on that bus.
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Sweet Harry
    What a great story.:lol3 :1drink :clap
  9. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    That is such a great story. MaGus and I are still laughing. I am actually a bit jealous, that would be so fulfilling.

You are da man!

Damned Sheep anyway!

EXcel huh? I'm with you fighter, find him!

Send him some email from ADVrider, this should chap his lilly white plump ass......:poser
  10. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good on ya Harry.
    Globie and I played tag with the Excel group also. In fact I think it was one of that group that asked the deck hand on the ferry why the motorcycles were at the head of the line.

By the way Harry, sorry I missed you in Anchorage.....But the cabin has a nice new metal roof. Thanks for the call....next year for sure!
  11. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I always have some regrets at the end of a trip, Dennis, but I seem to have more of them after this one ...

Fighter, I am sorry I didn’t know more about the Excel groups antics as I would have been more attentive, a lot more justified in my anger and believe me, more focused. While you were dealing with them up on Top’ I was back in Dawson City tracking down a short in my electrical system! It was only after hearing from Mike and Barb and this thread that I knew about the convoy problems. I’ll do a little checking, too....

Dennis, Barb, Don, Mike, Dave, et al, I blamed the good weather for my not sticking around Anchorage and heading up to Denali, but I now know that I should have stayed a little longer had a few dinners, drinks and heard some more stories. Always a lot good stories from the Great White North! Next time, I’ll make sure to stick around. Maybe a post D2D dinner working around everybody’s schedule? I’m good for the beers!

Back to the bike. Three hours cleaning has it ready for the dealers diagnostics. I haven’t decided whether I’m going to fix the ABS or not. Sure didn’t need it this trip!

Thanks for a great time, folks. Always good to see you.
  12. Nosi

Nosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man that jerk pulled into me too when I passed him, now that I know he did it on purpose I'd looooooove to take a few moments alone with him. Blooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want blooood!!!:kboom
  13. Nosi

Nosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marching orders? I want a piece of Stan.

There website for the Excel fifth wheels, this is the closest I could get in a few minutes. I could research more with more time.

http://excelrvs.com/state_clubs.htm

<TABLE class=ev_msg_rowcolor2 id=post_2161082833 style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=ev_msg_userinfo>Greenthumb
    "Excel Owner's Forum Member"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </TD><TD><TABLE class=ev_msg_table cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ev_msg_posticon>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ev_msg_timestamp>Posted<SCRIPT>document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:06:31 GMT-0800', 'February 21, 2007 12:06 PM')+'</nobr>');</SCRIPT> <NOBR>February 21, 2007 11:06 AM</NOBR> <NOSCRIPT>February 21, 2007 12:06 PM</NOSCRIPT></TD><TD class=ev_msg_hide><NOBR>Hide Post</NOBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>We are planning to attend the New Mexico Excel Club rally in Las Cruces at the end of March and then take off for the summer at the beginning of June. We will join the Excel trip to Alaska on June 13 at Dawson City and then spend 46 days in Alaska. After leaving Alaska, we will bounce around in Western Canada and the U.S. northwest until mid September. By then, we should be ready to return to the Valley of the Sun in Arizona for a pleasurable winter.

Frank & Joann
    Arizona

2000 Ford F-350 SC SW SB 7.3L PS
    2004 Excel Limited 30PKW, Pullrite SuperGlide hitch

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  14. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    WOW! One of them was WAY over on the left when Vic, Barb, Jim Black, and I went by too. :patch

I wonder if it was the bad guy? I figured some of them drive that way on occasion anyway. :rolleyes
  15. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Well, funny story- I guess we will be on the lookout for ol' stan from here on out then? :D
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    His name isn't Stan, really.
    I know for sure who he is and his email.
    What now?

This is the guy "Helping lead" the caravan, and driving a freightliner.

The other person is a female, so he is the culprit.
  17. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. Paulmer

Paulmer F' this, I'm going riding

Oddometer:
    If we know this guy.....are we going to :2guns ?
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I am thinking it might not be wise to begin an all out attack and make Advrider an accomplice in that attack.
    Not really sure the best plan, hold on guys, I will let you all in, but I am talking to Harry and work will take me away for a day or so, SO, be patient. I am also still in the works with Excel (buying an RV) looking for more info on the slimy bastage!