D2D Update Info

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:

Ummm, don't you always sleep with your bike? Or is that just me? :evil
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Yea and you are his roomy :deal lucky you:lol3
  3. friar mike

Oddometer:
    well I mite ride this one the the D2D I bet I can win the slow race.:wink:
    [​IMG]
  4. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I thought this was you just wasn't sure:eek1 :lol3
    [​IMG]
  5. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    The new stunt team Abbey Attack. :clap Look out for the Buells.:lol3

TR:huh

Very cool Mike:thumb Now thats funny!!!!!!!!!:poser Poor little Trike.:eek1 Lets go to Talkeetna.
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
  7. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Just the thought of it kept me sane the last couple of weeks. Seven days to make Momma happy and Im on the road!!!!!!!!!!!:clap Ill meet you DDers in Fairbanks Wednesday morning. Plan on soaking my "phat ass" at Chena Hot Springs Tuesday night and camping out somewhere near the springs.
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Just went to Barb's to p/u a fresh TKC for the rear of the 950. Happened to be following a 45mph cell phone dork on the way home and after following him for a while I went for the high drama pass.

Before I knew it my bungee'd tire had slipped back on the rack, got sucked up by the TKC that was to be replaced and by the time I could get back in my lane and over to the side my fresh new 150 series TKC was a smoldering hunk of rubber with ripped up steel strands sticking out where the bead was not two minutes before.

The kicker?

Not quite the cell phone doof but one of the others involved in my high drama pass pulls over and says "oh that yellow bag of yours flew off the back too. It's off the other side of the road on O'Malley".

$75 for the yellow ortlieb top opener.

$160 for the fresh TKC

...and now I need to go get 'em again AND figure out how to de-vulcanize the ass end of my bike. :cry
  9. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    At least you are O'kay! Did it hurt anything else on the bike?:eek1

TR:huh
  10. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Hey legion, that absolutely sucks. Goodbye tire, where are you bag, and a week-ish to the D2D, will this make your trip a bit tight?
    Will you and Legionette be fighting over the 2 and a quarter?
  11. friar mike

Oddometer:
    You should have taken me up on the Hatcher pass lunch:dg I got stuck behind a old fuck in a 1 ton van doing 25 mph on fishook road no place to pass for ever! finely got passed just to find his brother a few miles up the road:huh WTF and then got up to the lodge to sit with Gusgus for a hour and a half for a samich:huh :huh :huh the waitess asked if we want some pie I said can we get it in less then a hour? but it was a nice day.
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ground off part of the chain guard. If it did anything else to the bike I don't know it but I probably ought to go out into the garage and take a good look. I pretty much just pulled it in and walked off when I got home. Figured I'd go back and take a look when the stench tapered off.

Naar. I think everything'll be fine unless I chewed up something major on the bike that I just didn't notice. I'll snag a new bag and tire. Legionette and I went for a ride this morning. Rode around the hillside, over to Service High where I introduced her to curb hopping. Practiced that a bunch then booked before any of the people around there thought that curb hopping might be falling out of favor in the school yard and went to the university center where we practiced the same thing... then she went to work.

I'll head back down to ride home w/ her later tonight.

I think she's as ready as a fresh young rider can be to take off on a ride like the D2D. It'll take more than this little tire shredding event to stop the presses here.

Aside from the destroyed tire and bag I'm just irritated at myself that I didn't have the cargo strapped down hard enough to prevent something stupid like this. :bluduh

I hope part of that smell wasn't clutch after having had to keep it rolling in a higher gear ...hmmm.
  13. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Congratulations Legion.
    I believe you are now the proud recipient of the "fastest wearing TKC"
    award. The old record was 7 days and now you come in with the "less than 20 minutes"
    Damn... that's gonna be tough to beat.
    Not that I'm interested.

Had I known...I could have hauled that thing back to the homestead in the Bug. Now get busy and try it again. D2D awaits. Fite
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'm on it. I'm thinking the tire fund is going to take a beating at this rate. I'm also thinking that this time I'll be smarter than the bungee. :evil
  15. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you didn't kill yourself. I'll order a new one in for wednes. Give you special price too. Barb
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barb. You're the coolest.

If you stock something called a rock strap I ought to snag a handful of those too... Sort of like a combo bungee / nylon belt from what Anchor showed me. Sooner or later these damned bungees (and a pinch of poor judgement) are going to cost me more than a tire.
  17. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update, Mike-you may have to substitute a 140, 150's are on B/O til 6/12. Did I have another 150 in the back room? Barb
  18. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Legion, I took my wheels off the GS to haul to Alaska Leather for some TKC80 mounts. I tried to figure out how to put both of them on the Harley, but somehow or another I decided to put them in the pickup instead.

The weird thing is I had to sit in the pickup for a minute or two, looking around at stuff. I hadn't been inside it in months and forgot how it all worked.

After your story, I am glad I chose the pickup.

Hey Barb, looking at your website I see I am past due for a bumper sticker or two...

[​IMG]
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yep. I think there were 3 more in there w/ 2 of 'em spoken for. If the third's still available I'll take it. If not a 140 will do... it's what I have on there now.

That could've been bad.

I actually think it was more of a short between the seat and the bars thing for me. I strapped 'the tire down really good at Barb's and then ran off to visit an old geezer that I worked with years ago. The kind of guy that doesn't get out anymore.

I'm at his house listening to what he hasn't done lately and he whips out 3 issues of truck trend that had had the living crap read out of 'em. Says "here, take these home and read 'em. I've memorized 'em. Bring 'em back in a couple weeks if you get the chance".

I took the tire off, stuffed the mags in my now destroyed bag... and did a crappy job of putting it all back on. Seemed good enough at the time but I reached back a time or two as I was riding home and there was probably a good underlying reason for wondering if it was riding ok.

I opened the Orlieb a little while ago and some of the stuff in there made it ok and some of it didn't. Apparently the bag was in w/ the tire for a while as I had a change of clothes in it that was burnt and welded to the bag. Must've happened just before it launched.

Clutch seems fine though.
  20. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Fite I PM you.