D3O, should we avoid it?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cyclopathic, Jul 26, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am reading a couple comments on Revzilla:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-d3o-back-protector-insert#reviews_tab
    Klim version:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-viper-t5-pro-back-protector#reviews_tab
    Also found this post on D3O:
    http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic33920
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the 3do back protector in my MSR jacket did exactly that, I put it on one day and it was lumpy

opened it up, and it was twisted and torn.
    I just took it out.
  3. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using it for years for mountain biking gear (compression shirt w/ pads, elbow & knee pads) and have never, ever had a problem.
    Tallbastid and 5th-Elefant like this.
  4. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if I'd use a video game console from the early 90s as padding, but so far no issues with my d3o.
    Smoke Eater 3 likes this.
  5. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Firstly, it's 'D3O'. I think 3DO was a Star Wars Droid. Maybe.

I've seen a few of these reports about self destructing D3O armor over the years. All I know is I have multiple pieces of gear, both jackets and pants, that have D3O and I've yet to see any sort of catastrophic failure like this after years of regular use. Now I have seen D3O armor develop minor cracks in places where it is routinely flexed, like at the thinner edges of knee and elbow armor pieces. I don't find that particularly shocking. When it comes to reports of back protectors suddenly falling apart, I have have to wonder if these jackets are routinely being folded/wadded up for storage and stuffed into a bag, a pannier or top box, or some such? Have they been machine washed with the armor in them?

That last bit you quoted from the scooter site is a dude that works for one gear company that makes gloves shit talking the products of another gear company that makes gloves. I'm not pacing much merit in that one.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Not in my case, jacket was nearly new, never washed, never folded.
    Only worn by me last winter, I tried to hot glue the back pad back together, It didnt hold, Ill likely use gaffers tape to hold it together.

it seems to absorb impacts well, but it also shears and tears very easily.
  7. CreatureCore

CreatureCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the new level 2 knox armor is the way to go. Better protection and more malleable then d30 as well as withstanding freezing and heating cycles better.

cold test

hot test

8. juicy flawless

juicy flawless Toxic Raccoon

Oddometer:
    D30 elbow armor in my jacket disintegrated after only a few months, much false promises imho. Me thinks the foam-padded plastic type is more durable.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  9. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to remove every piece of D30 from a four year old Klim jacket recently. No cracks or other damage on anything (and that includes the four pieces in the pants too).
  10. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    With any mass produced item, there is bound to be defects. Usually those who get a defect are the loudest in the reviews, and rightfully so. But I've used a ton of D30 products over the years and even crash tested them several times. Always did well. There's one more data point for you. Decision is yours.
    Watercat and AFdude like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Motoport tri-armor 10yo had gone through multiple washer cycles (yeah Motoport is ok with it) no signs of decay.
    MZ5 likes this.
  12. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also had back and knee armor crack in klim gear that was d30 in under 3 months.

My favorite armor to date is the seeflex ce2 stuff from revit. Really large and super cool stuff. I think it's even better than forcefield ce2 from my at home experiments.

That said I just got my first ever piece of bmw gear and the armor in the enduroguard jacket seems really nice too. Haven't tested it yet though.
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently found my Viper D30 back pad to be split (torn? cracked) at one of the edges, running about two inches inward toward the center of the pad. I think folding it up to install it in jacket pockets as I moved it back and forth probably led to the split. Shot some super glue into the split, held it together for a couple of minutes, all better.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I don't know what WE should do, but I'M not getting anymore D30. It's flexible and comfy but it tears too damn easy. I'll stick with Forcefield.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forget about it cracking, worry more about how it will feel in a high impact situation as it stiffens on impact. I had D3O in my Rukka gear and compared to the big bulky Aerostich pads it feels like plywood.
    MZ5 and NJ Moto like this.
  16. BkADV

BkADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any comment on the new forcefield armor for knee/elbow/hip

they seem to have came out with CE 2 for about 50 dollars a pair
    me3 likes this.
  17. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I had a 6 month old Klim Badlands that had an elbow pad crack in half. The other one was split as well but never separated as Klim sent me new pads. Laid my jacket over my windscreen in the cold for awhile, came back to the bike and the damn pad had frozen in a curve.

No more D30 for me. That stuff is shit.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  18. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had the opposite experience, if the ambient temperature is below 15C when I put on my FirstGear jacket with D30 the shit is hard as a rock. I really don't like it.
  19. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I'm late to the party, but this is what my D30 back and shoulder pads looked like when I took them out of my Rukka jacket today. Jacket is 3 years old, but probably only worn 40 to 60 days in total. Not kept wadded up or abused in any way...

D30.jpg

d30-2.jpg

Edit: I reached out to D3O here in the UK, and within 3 days I had a new set free of charge. They've asked me to return the damaged pads so they can investigate. They suggest the armour isn't washed, stored in a very cold place or folded.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As if I needed another reason to hate this stuff...