D908 vs. Scorpion Rally

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In an effort to find a decent knobby tire that will hold up to the abuses of the LC-8 I decided to give the Pirelli Scorpion Rally tire a go instead of the usual D908.

On average I get about 1500 miles out of a rear at approx 120-130 bucks a pop.

The Scorpion is about 95 bucks on-line and seems to have a decent tread pattern.

[​IMG]

Pirelli Front:

90/90-21 54R (=106 MPH)
    DOT & E-3 Approved
    Made in Brazil
    Tread: 3 ply Polyester
    Sidewall: 3 ply Polyester
    Max load 467lbs @ 38 psi
    Directional

Pirelli Rear:

140/80-18 70R
    DOT & E-3 Approved
    Made in Germany
    Tread: 4 ply Nylon & 1 Ply Steel
    Sidewall: 3 ply Polyester
    Max load 467lbs @ 38 psi
    Directional

Strange how the front is made in Brazil while the rear in Germany ?!?!

[​IMG]

Dunlop Rear:

140/80-18 70R (=106 MPH)
    DOT & E-4 Approved
    Made in France
    Tread: 5 ply Nylon & 3 ply Aramid
    Sidewall: 3 ply Nylon
    Max load 739lbs @ 36 psi
    Non Directional

Here is my worn D908 by the new Scorpion Rally I'm about to spoon on:
    [​IMG]

In an effort to compare apples to apples I have kept this D908 at 32 psi the whole time. I have found that keeping the tire over 30 psi really improves tire wear (less of it). The tire in the picture above has been ridden hard for approx 2000 miles. It was pretty much done at 1500 miles, but I was waiting on the replacement.

The new Pirelli is kind of disappointing in knob hight compared to a new D908. The knobs are only 11mm tall, that is not even the 13mm required for FIM certification. I don't have a new D908 to measure, but it's quite a bit taller when new.

[​IMG]

The side knobs on the other hand are 14mm tall:

[​IMG]

On the front I typically run a D606 or a MT-21. i like the D606 better in the dirt, but I get better mileage out of the MT-21 since I can rotate it mid way through.

Scorpion front vs D606 front:
    [​IMG]

The tread pattern and looks promising, but the tread depth is even shorter than the rear (10.4mm)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tires mounted look pretty good, now all I have to do is ride and report back.

Brand spanking new Scorpion Rally mounted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vs.

Newer D908 mounted:
    [​IMG]

Front mounted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole kit and caboodle:
    [​IMG]
  2. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If thats what your 908's look like when you take them off send them my way. There is still another 1k of spinning left in that thing.:D
  3. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    The same damn thing:lol3
  4. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    I got a set of these on my 690E. I concur, the rear knobs are tiny. The front seems average size to me though. The front tread pattern is very similar to the MT21. I went with a 140 on the rear, and it is a BIG tire. If I had known how big I would have gone with a 130 for the 690. The 140 should be enough tire for the LC8 I would think.

I usually run MT21s as well, and have tried one rear 606. I get about 1500 from a rear. I can go 2000 or more, but it is hammered at that point.

I probably have 300 miles on Rallys so far. The rear looks brand new at this point. 125 of those miles were sand in Michigan, so not much wear there. The other 175 would be a lot of chip and seal here in central IL. That stuff is hell on tires. I am going out tomorrow and will do 100 or more.

I will say that on gravel I am not a big fan of this tire. It moves around a lot and wants to step out on corners IMO. In MI sand, the tires were awesome. It felt just like any dirt bike knobby. No wandering or pushing. I would expect this to be a good sand tire since it is a Rally tire though. Right now, it all depends on mileage. If I get good mileage out of it I will buy another. If not, I may go back to the MT21s.

I like the MT21s a lot. They work very well on the street for me and in the dirt as well. They come up short in mud, but no tire is gonna do it all.

It will be interesting to see how the Rallys hold up in CO. I would assume you ride a lot of rocks out there?
  5. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    A few!

[​IMG]
  6. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    That front looks like something i should try!!!:deal
  7. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I agree about more miles left in that 908, but after stretching one out, I found they are good on the street but worthless in the dirt. I know YP rides like a wild horse, so he needs the traction :D
  8. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Got some sand in my near future!
  9. DetR6oit

DetR6oit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    taken it at higher speeds yet? just curious if it has any squirrelyness that the 908 sometimes causes on the lc8 bikes
  10. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    I've got 1300 miles on my Scorpion Rally, Looks like at least another 1300 easy.
    At speed on the tarmac, no issues, even on rain soaked slab, no squirrly stuff going on ( not like my 908's did) I like em.
    [​IMG]
  11. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Been busy riding the small bike:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    but a bit noisy on the road , at 700 miles about 6mm out of 10.5 left in the center . The stock wide rims should wear a bit better , I am using a 2.5 Excel on the rear .
  14. MOTOSOTO

MOTOSOTO Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer:
    ...I tried these [scorpions] on my 990adv-and the sidewall flex didn't jive with my riding, whereas the Rally Raid did-BUT the Rally Raid had a shorter lifespan...the Rally Raid front on pavement-blew, but the Scorpion did better, but not by much...I run those Mega-Super-Duper-Heavy-Duty tubes at 18-20 for off-road and about 28 for highway...the rear on both tires; scorpions hooked up well, where the Rally Raid had a little more personality cornering the big 990...both did [alright] but you're asking a lot from a tire that's supposed to do some highway then some dirt, then some highway, then back on the dirt...yadda yadda yadda...I went back to MEFO's-they seem to like the highway and off-road through Baja [as shown] and some daily commuting duties without much protest...

[​IMG]
  15. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I want your old tires.. :rofl
  16. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gravel , rocks , dirts , ass-fault , mudder , fully loadded for camping .
    Did good in the mud , better than my friends 990 with well worn 908 / 606 combi !!
    STILL down to 6mm in the center , still working , still smooth on the pave , still singing , not bad for 1,350 miles :thumbup
  17. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    YP, which rear racks are those?

I tried the scorps on my adv before I sold it. The rear was cool but e front was a squirrely mess on the street. The SE seems to like the 908 rear, have a Mefo in waiting.
  18. bhab

bhab Captain o' Adventure

Oddometer:
    Max load 467lbs @ 38 psi? Better not wheelie it! :lol3
  19. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I like the 908RR rear a lot but hated the front. It absolutely sucked on pavement, felt like I was riding in 3" of ball-bearings all the time, and didn't wear well either. I did ride it until it was shot, then replaced it with a TKC 80 front, and am delighted with that combo, the 908 rear and the TKC front.
  20. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    What pressure did you run the 908 front at?