D908 vs. Scorpion Rally

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Jun 17, 2010.

1. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    I am running a Mefo rear and a non-DOT vulcanduro front ($50!). Over 2000 miles so far on both. I don't like the Mefo offroad as well as I liked the 908 I used before, But the 908 would be shot by now, and the Mefo has at least 1/2 left. Front is a little wiggly on the freeway or at high speed. It is wearing much better than the 606 I had before.
  2. Erzberg Rider

Erzberg Rider Erzberg Rider

Oddometer:
    I am running MEFO's front/rear, 1,500 miles so far and showing very little wear. Not great on asphault...don't grip up well at all in corners. THey claim to be a 50/50 tire but I am thinking more like 30% ROAD AND KEEP IT AT THE SPEED LIMIT IN THE CORNERS.

In the dirt the MEFO is generally good. Rear unloads mud real well but the front...not really. Probably throw a TKC 80 on the front....
  3. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beein running my MEFO's for almost 5000km now (6 weeks. :D ) and actually find that I can really push them in the twisties. A couple times, I have come close to scraping pegs at 60mph! I have had them slip a bit in the rain, but I was pushing it harder than I should have.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    BBriggs
  5. Baillsy

Baillsy Lets ride

Oddometer:
    Has anyone worn out a scorpion rally rear yet and if so what was the total kilometres or miles.
    Would it be unreasonable to expect 5000kms out of a 140 or is that wishful thinking?
  6. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Testing still in progress! :wink:
  7. ironmtnracing

ironmtnracing MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer:
    Ok...I've been watching the tire threads with great interest in an attempt to convince me that I should go away from the Scorpions that came stock on my 990. I'm now on my second set.

While I realize that if your riding in deep sand or mud your screwed with the scorps but other than these two conditions I find them to be a great tire both on and off road. And I ride A LOT off road.

There's really no such thing as "traction" on the big bikes, and find riding with momentum is really the key.

I had planned to go to Mefo's for my Alcan500 attempt but have decided to stay with the scorps instead as it's the best wearing tire of the bunch.

My 2¢, flame away.
  8. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wisdom.:nod

Momentum is your greatest friend, and gravest enemy.
  9. RedlegDaddy

RedlegDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go!
    :kboom
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    have you tried the 606/908 combo?
  11. ironmtnracing

ironmtnracing MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer:
    Not yet...but in general have had decent luck with the Dunlop's on my 525. Still though, the longevity of Dunlop still seems to be a question from what I've been reading (at least in comparison to the Scorp AT's).

For me, being a cheap bastige, durability trumps traction. I have yet to have the scorps "chunk" on me :evil

To each his own.
  12. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Quick check in:

I have just under 1K miles on the Pirelli Scorpion rally so far and the wear seems to be about even w/ The D908.

The forward/straight line traction seems to be better than the D908. Even though the knobs are shorter, the paddle design performs well.. On the street i thought t would be loud because of the paddle design, but the tire is relatively quiet and sticks well.

The problem is w/ side traction, an inherent flaw of the paddle design. Whenever you break the rear end loose it feels/hold OK for the first 15 degrees, but once it's past that it wants to swing out real quick.

this also manifests itself on off camber crowns (when the road slopes one side or the other). The rear tire really wants to side down hill.

So the verdict is still out: the Pirelli Scorpion is about $30 cheaper on average than the D908 and performs about the same, but for a $30 difference i think i'll stick w/ the D908.

Next on the plate is the Mefo Explorer.............

The big revelation of the test has been the Pirelli Scorpion Rally front. Not great on the road, but what full on knobby is, but very good in the dirt and is wearing much better than the usual MT-21 front and D606 front. By this time I typically have to rotate these two tires around to get even wear and reduce scalloping, but the P. Scorp is still looking good and hardly scalloping at all.

[​IMG]

This might be my new all time favorite front dirt tire . Certainly better than the D606, D908 & MT-21 fronts I typically use for off road riding.
  14. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you say more? I am a big fan of the 908 front. 75% pavement riding. Does fine on pavement (haven't tried it in the wet yet), fabulous off. Would love to get more than the 3k miles I squeeze out of it. How "not great" is the Pirelli on pavement? How would you compare it on/off road to the 908 front?
  15. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the sidewall like- stiff like the tires above, or soft like a TKC?

Good stuff, YP!
  16. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    For side wall stiffness I'd say it's equal to the 908 series, not mush like the TKC.

I'll net pictures up next week, but the Scorp Rear is done at a little over 1K miles.

[​IMG]

So all said and done the D908 is a better more durable rear, When it comes to the front the Scorp front is my new offroad favorite.

I already have a Mefo Super Explorer spooned on for the next set of tire tests. This time I'm keeping the Scorp front since it's still in great shape and running the Mefo for a rear.

I'm glad I got the 140 and not the 150 for the SE because the rim is much more narrow ad I had to force the tire onto the rim. It's quite wide. Typically when I get one side of a D908 on the rear rim the opposite bead is practically touching the rim. W/ the Mefo there was a 1.5"-2" gap between the bead and the rim. Took a bit of elbow grease to get it down into the rim bead.

It will be a bit before I get to try these tires out since I have swapped over to the 19/17 sticky tire set of rims for a bit.
  17. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The Scorp is very similar to the D908 front offroad and on road. I'd say it has the same traction offroad, but is a bit better on -road. I'd place it between the D908 and the D606 for road use.

The big seller for me so far has been the very even wear, no scalloping and the fact that I have experienced no head-shake even at +100mph speeds. Typically with the other tires once they get worn and scalloped I start getting some accel and decel head-shake on the road around the 70-80mph mark.
  18. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my thrashed D606 front tire due to severe cupping. Tire wasn't that great new; felt squirrely on FS roads and flexy on the street. I put a Mefo Super Explorer on the front and like it MUCH better.
    So current combination is about half a 908 on the rear and a new Mefo front. I like this setup and will probably stick with it. Both ends track well on gravel roads. singletrack and pavement.
    My 2 cents.

1911fan
  19. ktm crasher

ktm crasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wheen my scorpion rally arrived in the mail I was dissapointed to see how much shorter the knob height was compared to the rally cross I normaly use. The rally is far superior on the pavement right from the beginning holds great accelerating out of corners and no squirrely breaking in and better pavement breaking. Also was impressed with its forward traction in loose sandy material however on the dirt road in gravel at speed it moves around alot. Also cornering ability and breaking on dirt roads is very poor compared to the mt-21 I like to use. Breaks loose way to easy to ride as fast as I like. As far as wear not not very impressed for what I feel like I gave up the rubber is pulling a part but it has not cracked at the knob base or chunked out like the mt-21 likes to. I will probaly try a 908 next but so far I will tolerate the mt-21 on the road for more fun off.
  20. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. If my 908 fronts didn't scallop I'd probably get 4-5k miles out of them instead of 3k.