D908 vs. Scorpion Rally

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rear is gone in the middle like Yellowpigs and the front still has some life left in it , though reeeal loud on the pavement . No scalloping either .

They still feel GREAT on the road , :clapthey still feel round . Most tires when worn feel squared out . These don't .

Super stable and never squirley

Too bad the rears don't start with more rubber though :cry

Thinking of getting another set and mounting them on the stock wide rims .:evil
  2. nevermind

nevermind increasingly less

Oddometer:

Brutal! I wasn't merciful but it was a quick death!
  3. powerslider

powerslider SUA* SPONTE

Oddometer:
    I have went back to running the stock Pirelli's after running the Michelin deserts and the 908's. If your doing a week long ride and 75% of it will be off road, put the knobs on. I am a dirt bike guy so I'm use to the loose floating feeling when in dirt or gravel. I think you give up too much on the pavement with knobs. At least allot more then you gain in the dirt with knobs. I've been stuck in the mud and sand with the knobs. Sure they work better in that situation then the stockers but the bike still weighs 500 Lbs.

You can read all you want about tire choices but my advice is buy a set of what ever, try them and form your own opinion. Thats what I do.

P.S. 116 mph on the GPS with the stock Scorps on gravel.

05 950 adv
  4. nevermind

Oddometer:
    Just curious... Do you have a good health insurance policy and carry long term disability? :evil
  5. powerslider

powerslider SUA* SPONTE

Oddometer:
    I have very good insurance. My wife is a doctor. I was chasing
    a buddy on a 640 adventure who is a better rider than I. It was dusty so I was hanging back till I noticed the dust was coming from a pickup that he had passed....then it was on! I have to admit, I don't think I would do it again. My buddy got a huge kick out of it knowing how much ground I made up on him. It really did scare the crap out of me. This was a big wide gravel road with hard pack in the tire tracks and loose gravel piled up else where. I could not keep the bike on the hard pack to save my ass try as I might. My pride was in the way of common sense and thats how it happened.

My friend I was chasing won the motorcycle class at the Mt hood Rally moto in 2008 (no slacker).

CE
  6. nevermind

Oddometer:
    Too funny! That's how I wound up in a helicopter getting transferred from a local hospital to one with a better trauma unit!

Stay safe, have fun!!! :freaky
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

You can run slicks on gravel if you don't have to turn....:lol3 :lol3
  8. volsk

volsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that.

On the weekend I was laying in a puddle of mud contemplating the merits of reduced front tyre pavement performance. I think I will move to the 606 as a test. I have just put a 908 on the rear already but I was waiting for the front to wear out before putting a more aggressive dirt tread tyre on.

It is a real compromise and a difficult decision. During the week I have a 20km round trip commute. The 908 does feel squirrly so far but the dealer assures me that will mostly disappear after the tyre has whipped round for 1000kms or so. I also noticed the 908 will break free a lot sooner on tar when it is wet.

On the weekend I want to hit any track that I pass that is wide enough for the bike. With the stock tyres I am limited to the amount of sand and mud I can cope with. If I was a better rider I am sure it wouldn't be such a huge issue but when that small tread on the front fills with mud riding becomes plain hard work.

Is there a perfect answer? A great tyre on the dirt with minimal compromise on road? I'd love that.

Regards
    Matt
  9. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...I'll duck when I say this, but you may want to try the Mefo Super Explorers...
  10. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Approaching 2300 miles on the Scorpion Rally, I think 3300 will take it to its limits, but Hey, I'll let ya know when I get there.
  11. mudpao

mudpao dirty and loving it

Oddometer:
    If installed on a 990, will these pirelli rally tires fit considering wheel width? Also, what tyre pressures would yup recommend on dirt since the 990 wheels don't have tire locks?
  12. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rallys don't need to be aired down for trail riding , 26 to 29 f or rear works well for me , any less = squirmy and dented rims , these aren't 250lb bikes eh !

The front Pirelli Rally has worn more evenly than a 606 and 908 fronts .
    They have a different construction to make it more stable , look up Pirellis web site , it's too late at night for any more details here , later:bueller
  13. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scorp looks a lot like the metzler karoo 2, see below.
    Liked them ok, but I like the 908 more.
    My favorite real off-road combo is the terraflex rear and bridgestone e661 front.

[​IMG]
  14. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree - very similar to the Karoo which Ive had great success with 150/70, as well as the Mich Deserts 140/80. But I dont know how you can destroy a 908 in 1500 miles??? Ive just done over 7000 km on a rear and its still going strong. (Very little wheel spinning in my life tho - just the long road).
  15. dabracing

dabracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 1,100 mile ride with 1,000 of those off road on my SE with a new set of Rally's. Initially they were squirrely on the pavement, but then felt great after some miles. I liked the feel and traction in the dirt. Rear is almost done, front maybe half way. I say every bit as good if not better than the 606/908RR combo and much cheaper. I smoked a 908RR in 600 off-road miles earlier this year and not so impressed.
  16. nevermind

Oddometer:
    Pictures? :D

FWIW, I've tried four knobbies on the front of the big 990 and the Rally is my favorite so far. If I get bored with $112 sitting around in my wallet I may try the TKC80 front, but that ain't likely... :lol3
  17. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't bought tires online before. Who's got the best price/service? Any with ADV discounts? Thanks.
  18. dabracing

dabracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually www.motorcycle-superstore.com

I bought a set from them when they were an additional 10% off their already discounted price. All their prices are pretty low and free shipping/no tax.
  19. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Dan- interesting analysis. I didn't do any testing or measuring, but I reached the exact same conclusion about the Rally Scorpions that you did- front and back. I believe we have very similar riding styles.:D
  20. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the 908/606 combo on my 950. We did 600 miles on the dirt and 200
    on the street. I was running 25 psi in both tires. I was very impressed with the traction in the mud and snow. Front tire was very predictable. A lot of tire noise on the street. These are the only other tires i have used except for the stock Scorps. Rear tire is shot. I will definitely buy another one.
    If you find one cheaper than $188 let me know. :D