dacre challenge

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gregidy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  2. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dallas, that made my day! :rofl

Sean :bmwrider
  4. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Wow! You're like psychic or something. :D

Too bad it really ended that way, I wish you better luck next time around.

When I pulled into Mission and got the news that you had dropped out it was a bit of relief. I didn't really consider anybody else a real threat so we rode according to plan and stayed on track and out of trouble, as I'm sure the pizza delivery boys did as well. :wink:

Although the 110 km/h limit was welcome, we hardly even got near it even on the road sections. We stayed below 95 most of the time and let most teams by when they caught us up. We knew our navigation was top-notch and that we would eventually get it all back. From a low standing of 14th at the first check we started reeling in the teams one by one. The pizza boys were on a better pace than we were and it would have been silly for us to try and catch them so we just rode smooth and kept the rubber side down. Knowing FTV was out of the running meant that we could ride a conservative pace and keep something in the tank in case we needed to push a bit harder later on in the day. By the time we rolled into Camel Chute, we were sitting in 2nd a good ways off the pizza boys so we only maintained a steady pace to keep SNAFU and the Iron Maidens at bay. Just like Barry, I got to play on the sand hills in the last section. :D

Merging a couple teams doesn't always work out but this time it did. Robb and Steve had ridden the Dacre before and they were a perfect match speed-wise for me and Hauler. Our primary strategy was to stay together, not only in the morning darkness, but also in the afternoon dust. We made very few navigational errors and just ran a steady pace. We had the best support crew which consisted of my wife (Bootz) and my 13 year old son. Not only were they at the checks well in advance, they supplied us with the needed intel to make informed decisions about how to proceed and at what pace.

It was a good rally and we all had fun. Thanks Rally Connex and everybody who put this thing together. :freaky

Oh and I would like to say something about the Iron Maidens. Finndian on the 950 Adventure is a good friend of mine and we have ridden together many times. I knew these guys were going to be contenders despite the big bikes. It wasn't much of a surprise to roll into lunch and be informed that they were the first team to roll in, from a dead last starting position! :D
    At one point after lunch we started seeing dust ahead of us but it took a long time for us to catch up to what was making it. In fact it was the Maidens and they had just stopped to fix a loose bolt on a brake M/C. We passed them but it wasn't long until they were biting at our heels again, and in the rough stuff! The ensuing battle royale was the highlight of the rally for me. The two teams were intermixed with riders passing each other and getting re-passed. At one point Finndian was making a wide turn around a puddle and I took a chance through the middle, knowing that if I made it I was going to shower a couple riders in mud. I had to push it to stay ahead as he was hounding me on that 950 Adventure but in the back of my mind I knew it was only a matter of time until him and Bernie (950 SE) would have to back off if they were going to last the whole day. And so it worked. We eventually all got past the Maidens and settled back into our steady pace. We needed to put at least ten minutes on them in order to regain the position however but we knew the nasty sections later in the day would work to our advantage, and they did. Still though, the Iron Maidens were only about 20 minutes back from us at the finish which really only translates into about ten minutes once you factor in the start times. I'm gonna have to be fit and in riding shape the next time around because I know these guys will be back. :deal
    Good job on wrestling those 950s in the rough sections but maybe you should come back on smaller bikes. The bear is the biggest and strongest, but the fox is still fastest in the woods. :evil

Congrats to the pizza boys Rome, Graham and Barry for the deserved win. You guys make it look so easy. See ya at the next rally. :thumb

5. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Hey Gronk, congrats on the 2nd place finish...you would have won if you were'n carrying all those extra GPSs
  6. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Fawk the look on your face was priceless when I told you it was my backup backup GPS. I thought you were gonna blow a fuse and strangle me. :lol3

Thanks man. :freaky

7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    So what was the final order? We bailed on the last stage since we didn't meet the cutoff time, just wondering how our pace matched up.
  8. GR0NK

Oddometer:

1. Maria's pizza
    2. Ride-inators/Valley Bomb Squad
    3. SNAFU
    4. Iron Maidens
    5. Team Dual Sort Plus Uber/Manton/Waters

I don't have the rest yet or the times but I did request them from Kevin. I will post them when/if I get them.

Just to give you an idea though, the final cutoff was the before last stage and it was at 8:30pm. We rolled into there around 7:30pm and Maria's Pizza at least 30-45 minutes before us.

9. martyman5000

martyman5000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emailed rally connex to see if I could ride up and watch part of this and never received a message back...
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Not a big deal, it wasn't a race... :lol3
  11. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    It's a team event, minimum of three. No solo rides. Find a few riding buddies and ride it in 2014.

12. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6.????
    7. Explore the Bruce (Carnell, Klunder , Scholtz) (wr250r and 2 690's).

Not that it really matters, but
    We were definitely the last full team to finish as we rolled into the last check point with only 4mins to spare.
    Made me feel good that FTv were "only" approx 15% slower over the entire course , and no zen moments with our team :)
    I also had a good get off at 5am and blew out my left shoulder. Some teams may remember passing us in the bush later in the day with me with all my gear off stripped down to my bare chest as I thought I had ripped my left are out of it's socket again.
    The little wr250r was run hard and at a real dis advantage in the afternoon. 300lb bike +210lb rider and 19hp can on be pushed so fast.
    Next time I will definitely be on something orange.....
  13. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Results and relevant facts:

[​IMG]

14. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Those results don't look right. My team "Live Free or Did" did not finish with all 3 members (I broke down just after the pit that came after lunch) and the 2 remaining riders just missed the cutoff at camel chute. Wonder if other results are correct. According to the list we were 4th in the special which would be awesome and I am wondering if that part is correct.
  15. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the props and posting the results Gronk.

The only plan we had going in was to ride steady and not push it. I knew when Kevin announced the 110kph speed limit we had lost any big bike advantage we were banking on.

Coming into Dacre I could tell we were close to the front as there looked to be only enough tracks in front of us for 2 teams and starting at the back of the pack that could still give good results.

Leaving Camel Chute we planned to 109 all the way in and make up some time we lost in the after lunch carnage but Jon's rear flat 35km out of Dacre used up some time and slowed us down to less than half of that at best. If we would have caught you playing in the pit I would have rubbed it in forever lol. Funny I've ridden with Jon twice now and he got rear flats both times.

We left ourselves a lot of room for improvement as we came in to the event with 3 riders who never rode together, Bernie is a 450 motocross guy and just got the 950. 2 of the group hadn't done a long ride or ever used a gps and I have never competed in a bike event. Regardless I couldn't have asked for better team members and as Jon was waiting around for us most of the time he did a lot of running back to help me out of the mud or pick up my bike. :freaky

We learned a lot.

If it all wasnt' just a blur of abuse to me and I had "Flanny specs" there was probably 30 minutes of time when my 950 was laying on the ground as riding it exhausted caused a lot of crashes. I'm sure I dropped and crashed in this event more than all my drops and crashes added up in my 35 years of riding. But didn't pee my pants once :clap what a time.

People say my adventure is too big for stuff like this. Possibly their right and I need a smaller bike. Maybe a 950SE :evil

I'm surprised we had the energy left to smile.

[​IMG]
  16. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    can someone explain the 110km/h speed limit rule?

:ear
  17. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    We also stopped a bunch of other times in that last section. Had I known SNAFU was THAT close we would have boogied all the way to Dacre. As it stands, the difference between 2nd and 3rd is the 28 second advantage we had over SNAFU in the special test! :yikes

18. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    So we were not supposed to go over 110 km simple enough. Now I am sure that some people went over a bit and that was ok. But if you did 140 or something like that they would DQ you. Guess it was to keep the speed down and make it a bit more safe. Unless there is a train crossing without lights then it can be unsafe lol
  19. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Simple. At NO point during the course of the rally was your bike to exceed 110 km/h. Exceptions were made for passing. This information is stored in your track log and was verified afterwards. As long as your track log didn't show you were running beyond 110 for whole straightaways and that you stayed to the prescribed route, you were good.

20. Tessier

Tessier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    110KPH rule was that you couldn't exceed it. so don't go faster than 110 at any point during the day and your good exceed it and your out. Team live free or die should be one of the 11th place teams we made it to the 2nd to last check with everyone but by the time we got to the cut off we were done 1. Now sure what happened but look's like we should have stuck around for the prize table lol.