dacre challenge

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gregidy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yup that was it. I did a "like" on the album but I needed to "like" dualsport plus's main page.

Tagged a few that I recognized.
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A day or two before the event started Doug gave me a call asking if I would drive their support van as their driver found out he didn't have a passport. I'd been out on the bike 3 out of 4 weekends and mentioned I didn't think my wife would go for it or I would be there already with my bike. Doug mentioned blah. blah, blah, cooler of beer, blah, blah all expenses paid. Whoa that changes everything, 8 hours later and I confirmed I am in.

The "Live Free or Die" team consisted of three guys from New Hamsphire. Doug who I had met along with Rob at a previous dual sport event and Josh who I was to meet for the first time.

They picked me up on the Friday morning and we made introductions and made our way to the town or Orangeville for the start.

Even US dudes like Tims :thumb

[​IMG]

Doug in his sweet Sprinter van. I met Doug a year or two ago, he has taken up biking and has aspirations of competing in the Dakar in 2015. He has been entering a variety of rallies in his quest to get to the big one. To date he has done a bunch of rally moto races, the Mex1000 rally, a bunch of dualsport events and this summer takes on the Vegas to Reno. Next winter he is planning on potentially doing an overseas rally to really get a feel for it. Is he a hotshot rider? Nope but is getting progressively better by the month. He has a website up www.dakardream.net Will he be capable of finishing the Dakar? Thats a heck of a big question and one without an answer...

Bikes and gear loaded in the van

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to the start area, it was a rec center with everyone camping out in the field. We setup camp, got organized and the guys headed for registration and tech inspection. The tech inspection was relatively simple (bearings, safety gear. paperwork, brakes,lights, sound test for under 96 dba?, etc). The only wrinkle was Duug didn't have the paperwork for his wr450 as he had left it at home. A few phones calls, and photos exchanged by cells and all bikes were through and ready to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met Seth, Flanny, Doc and Drift (big and small) who all comprised team Fuck the Valves. Over the years I have gotten to know most iof these guys pretty good. Had a nice chat and as predicted they were in high competition mode.

Seth and our team waiting for tech inspection..

[​IMG]

As the sunset we set we headed into town and filled the gerry cans and van with fuel. The bikes on ouor team (except the drz) have smaller tanks so we weren't sure exactly what mileage they would get so it was decided we would have fuel at all the official check points. There were five official checkpoints where riders could meet their support crew. In each of these they checked in and out and had a mandatory 15 minute break at each one (except one which was 30 minutes for lunch).

[​IMG]

Before the riders meeting that night Josh's tubliss system began leaking, he tried a few techniques and seemed to have gotten it sorted.

The riders meeting

[​IMG]

The organizers did a stand up job of loading gps's, providing dinner and doing a nice detailed speech of how things were going to run and explanations of what to expect on the route. Kudo's to you dudes :thumb

After the meeting the sun had set, bikes were lined up at the mornings start. Teams would leave in intervals spread out by a minute or so. A random draw was done? to decide on who went first, etc Our team was set to leave second, which would be in the dark at 4:01 am.

[​IMG]

After getting back to camp Josh discovered his tubliss repair was not holding. It was decided to put a tube into it as a just in case. Around midnight or so after most teams had gone to bed we hit our tents and called it a day.

To be continued
  3. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    That's the nicest way anybody has told me I suck yet :lol3
  4. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would like to know your thoughts of this event vs the Mexican 1000 (on my bucket list)?
  5. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I am with you on that question too. Kinda a dream to do something like that vs the Dakar is a dream inside a dream.
  6. ecarnell

Oddometer:
    Best wife:
    So my wife reviewed the results of the event - and knew I rode a yamaha - and comment on the only 3% of bikes being yamaha's (she thought I was the only one (wr250r), but I believe there was Wr450 entered), and said I was probably riding the wrong bike as everyone else was on a ' K something' that finished also.... I explained to her that the little yamaha was at a 50lb and 20++ hp dis advantage....

She said she didn't care what color bike was in the garage(blue or orange) as long as is was paid for :)

I love my wife. Thanks rally connex!
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Really hard to compare the two. The Mexican 1000 had a lot more high speed stuff, and of course no 110KM/H speed limit! Well, actually that isn't true. There are transits between the special stages and you get penalties for completing the transit in under a specific time to prevent you from speeding. We covered around 400 miles each of the first 2 days. I finished day 1, about 400 miles, in about 9 hours (I was mid pack) vs. in the Dacre even the fastest were over 15 hours for 500 miles. We had some areas of deep loose sand and a bit of really whooped out areas (the infamous "San Felipe whoops") which slowed you down a good bit, but nothing like getting stuck in a mud hole full of rocks!

I enjoy both types of riding but have to say I am beginning to prefer the wide open desert racing a bit more. In fact I had so much fun that I have decided to enter Vegas 2 Reno this year. :evil I can highly recommend the Mexican 1000 for anybody who has rally dreams. Sure, it is a big step away from the Dakar but it is certainly a step in that direction.

Brocku also did both the Mexican 1K and the Dacre, perhaps he will chime in with his thoughts as well? :ear
  8. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Doug. Really looking forward to hearing your V2R adventures! I'd love to do the Mex 1k (and V2R) also. Maybe next year!

dc
  9. dakarchef

dakarchef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. waterlilly

waterlilly No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in taking all the video's and pictures and making a small DVD/CD for everyone interested.

I can send a copy of a disk of the the pics I have to add to it. I don't have the talent for such a task.

But I am sure there is some of you guys with that talent:evil.
  11. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
  12. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. ecarnell

Oddometer:
    x2
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Our teams departure was at 4:02 am. they were slotted to be the second team to leave. My alarm was set to go off around an hour ebfore they were to leave. Morning duties including a quick breakfast and packup of camp was done before I left in the van top checkpoint 1.

[​IMG]

There were 5 allocated checkpoints where the support crews were to meetup with the riders. Looking at the location of these it looked like a nice relaxing day ahead of me, not so the riders. Quite a few of the trails the guys would be riding were familiar to me and I knew a few of them would be tiring for the guys considering the day they would have ridden prior to getting to them.

Drift10 was driving FTV team truck with his son. Over the years we have gotten to know each other pretty good and we intended to hang out together for the bulk of the day. Our team was leaving 20 minutes ahead of his so I hit the road before he did in search of a Tims.

I was the first support crew into CP1 and hung out and shot the shit with the owner of the bike shop who provided his parking lot as the CP. He was a KTM dealer and seems like a cool dude. The mosquitoes were beyond bad, they were unbearable :nod

Soon enough our team showed up, filled up with gas from the gerry cans I was carrying, had a quick snack and hit the road. 15 minutes goes by pretty quick.

Team FTV showed up. Seth rode in on a very hot bike. His head gasket had blown. Earlier in the mornign as I was saying adios to him back at the start he had looked a bit out of sorts. A few nights of bad sleep had brought on a case of vertigo...I wasnt sure he would even have been starting. Seth's bike was loaded up onto the trailer Drift10 was pulling and Seth took up residence in the back of the van I was driving. Looking a bit nauseated and bummed from having his bike breakdown he lay down and caught up on some sleep.

Below: Always cool to meet folks from the forum, Step here is a cool dude and generously helped out big time with some decals for a project I have been working on...THANKS again :freaky

[​IMG]

Below: Team Live Free or Die heading out onto the next stage of the rally

[​IMG]

Below: Mr Flanny heading out. Although Seth was out Flanny and Doc decided to see if they could still be the first team into Dacre albeit they wouldnt officially count as a team since you need all team members to cross the finish line for your position to count in this "non race" :D

[​IMG]

With both teams gone Drift and I headed off to the next checkpoint. It was a liesurely drive watching the sun come up. We got to Kinmount long before the riders and enjoyed kicking back in the shade and having lunch that the organizers provided.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Part 3

At CP1 I had lent some of our fuel out. Mr Uber's bike was running low so I filled hm up so he wouldnt have to lose time on the stage. Now that Seth was out I drained his tanks into our gerry cans...payment for the comfy ride in the back of the van :evil

Flanny and Doc showed up...Doc had had a spill and had broken his wrist. Me..this would have been the end to the day but Doc announced he was goping to carry on and attempt to finish. I suppose being a doctor he knows what he is doing but I cringed when I had to help him put his glove on and he could barely hold the handlebars with his left hand. he was going to be in for a long day :deal

Below: Doc looking like you would after riding offroad with a broken hand

[​IMG]

Flanny and Doc hit the road. Flanny is sporting one of Chris Vestals rally kits on his exc...very sweet setup :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our team came in and seemed to be doing well, which I was stoked to see. They had no prestense of winning this non race but rather seeing if they could just finish the day in the allotted time given by the organizers. They seemed to be making steady progress and if they kept this pace they wouldnt have any issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hit the road following Drift and son to the next CP. The entire day was a nice relaxed schedule for the support crews. Perfect weather certainly make this feel like a nice cruisy vacation, heck I even had time to have a few siesta's :D

Below: Team FTV support truck with Drift's and Seths bikes on the trailer

[​IMG]

Kicking back at the next CP I helped FTV come and go and lent a hand to Uber's team as they filled up with gas. Uber and team looked a bit beat up. The section coming into this CP had been a bit challenging (based on rider feedback). Some mud holes, rocks and length contributed to a challenging ride.

Below: Uber and team. Uber says this is his last bike ride as he is selling his bike to have children. See ya in 2014 Uber :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our team rolled in and were looking great. A bit tired given the circumstances but spirits were high and their time looked to be great for finishing this ride. The next CP was an hour drive down the road, the riders route looked like a mix of pavement and wide gravel roads. The next CP also had fuel so we decided I woudl skip this CP and just meet them at the next one. They hit the road while I finished packing up the van.

It was cool getting to meet and hang with folks at the CP's. I had a good chance to chat with Les and Katherine from DSP. Paul si a fellow I met through the forums and help try to bring awareness to his fight to keep a rail trail open for bikes. The trail leaves Kinmount and heads north. Paul was a very cool guy and I look forward to hanging with him some day and tipping a few whiskeys :thumb

[​IMG]

After hitting the road Seth and I quickly came upon DOug stranded on the side of the road. He had lost his countersproket nut and washer. We left Doug with his bike and bolted into the nearby town of Bancroft to see if we could source the needed parts to get him up and running again. We tried both hardware stores in town and bought an assortment of nuts and washers in every metric size they had. As it would turn out the nut needed is a 17 mm...we had a 16 and an 18 :cry

We loaded Dougs bike up and hit the road to the next CP. We aited at the CP for quite some time. A few riders came in and were telling stories of a very hard couple of hours. The trail was quite challenging and had a few tree's that had fallen down across the trail which required carrying your bike over them. Terry is a fellow I know from riding together and he was riding sweep for the last section into the Dacre community center. Once he left every other person to come in would be told to take the road into the finish instead of the route. As the sun was setting Terry headed out to sweep the last section. Another dude from the rally Connex crew was going to hand at the CP until the sweep riders showed up from the section before it. We handed him a gerry can for ouor riders and headed into Dacre. We werent 100% sure that our guys hadnt bailed out and just taken a road to the finish and they should have showed up at the CP by then. Teams behind them all day had shown up and none of them remmebered passing our guys.

We got into dacre, setup camp, poured a drink and waited for our team to arrive. Shortly after nightfall they did and damn did they look exhausted but happy. A great dinner was provided, a few drinks had then given how exhausted the crowd was the place turned into a snorefest quite early. A brief wake up around 1pm when the last sweep riders came in making some hooting and hollaring sounds then quickly back to sleep.

It was a great weekend, without question I wish I had of been on my bike. Can't do them all I suppose, helping the team out and just hanging with a bunch of familiar faces was a great way to spend a weekend.

I was thouroughly impressed with the way Kevin and crew ran this event, my hats off to you lads :thumb
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Team Live Free or Die

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q9RKttSjKIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vYgstkipIwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
  18. Trail66

Trail66 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice write ups!
  19. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Thats totally awesome. What a trip. Thanks for the write ups, really good to know what went on.

Pics are sweet, too!
  20. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I am kinda surprised that there are not more links to videos from people :cry. I am sure I saw quite a few people with cameras on board (me too) did they not work or bad videos?