Dacre Dual sport Challenge 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikel42, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed on the Rally Connex website they have the Dacre set for July 5-7th 2019. Has this event become anually vs semi annually? Anyone close to Lee know the details? Will it be at the same spot?
  2. cambam

cambam I can't dance, so I Ride!

Oddometer:
    It is not a typo.

Lee is doing it again in 2019
    Jbone11 11 and Tessier like this.
  3. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet. To correct my previous post I meant bi annual vs annual.

I did silver last time on a 701. Next time I might do Silver or gold on a 450 four stroke or a 250 two stroke. Will need to get a gps though and learn how to use it.
  4. Tessier

Tessier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the event in 2012 on a Husky TE 310. We came very close to finishing but did not get to the last check in time and were disqualified as we watched the sweep rides leave. This time I hope to bring a more capable team so that doesn't happen again but am wondering how to rank the difficulty of the ride. Has it gotten harder since 2012? Would you say the event in 2012 was equivalent to Gold or Silver. This year i'd either be doing it on a KTM 690 or a KTM 300 XC-W. While i am no Graham Jarvis I do like a challenge.
    StanBo likes this.
  5. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 was my first year. So I don't know how hard it was in 2012. Considering no one finished in Silver, Bronze or Iron class, it is quite difficult. From what I heard the teams that finished in Gold were all very good riders and did a lot preparing, ie meeting up to train and practice weeks and months prior to the event.

My opinion on the classes are:

Gold - 250/300's two stroke or the equivalent in 4 stroke
    Silver - up to 500 exc's / fe's
    Bronze - KTM690's / KLR's/ DRZ400 / all those bikes
    Iron - everyone else

Some people might attempt bronze with KTM 1090's or africa twins, but from what I saw and heard this summer I wouldn't suggest it.
    StanBo likes this.
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHAAAAA??! Good Lord! I'm not sure I have recovered from the last one yet!! LMAO!!!
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been at Dacre every year since 2014. Lee has definitely been ramping up the difficulty level, but as has been mentioned there are classes now. To give you an idea, Gold Class mileage was about 520km and I'd say about 80% was hard as nails single track. Conversely the Iron class guys had a whopping 1001km of mixed terrain to cover. Took the Iron class guys 6 hours to cover 190km last year... lots of downed trees. At any rate, It remains a total ass kicker.
    StanBo likes this.
  8. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lee won't allow anything bigger than a 500 pure enduro to do silver or gold. Because it's an extremely tough event, don't underestimate it.

Pictures stolen from the Rally Connex Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/rallyconnex/photos/a.195861293894822/1076476392499970/?type=3&theater
    upload_2018-11-30_19-46-35.png

upload_2018-11-30_19-47-40.png

My team was one of the 2 front runner teams in the Bronze class and we spent a few hours cutting trees. First teams in bronze that managed to get to the midway LUNCH stop arrived at around 5:30 PM (start times were around 4:30 AM) and no one was allowed to restart from there. One of my team mates bailed and took the highway after breaking his foot and later I had to tow my other team mate 23km of hydro line to the closest pub and then continued solo to the midway point to get a recovery vehicle. I arrived just after 7PM.

The prelude to 23 km of towing
    upload_2018-11-30_19-59-40.png

It's a very tough event no matter what class, preparation is key and we were. But there's not much you can do when injury and a crash takes you out.

Can't wait for next year! :deal :wings

Ivan
    StanBo, ridepie and ag40 like this.
  9. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember that poor boxer engine. It looks like a WW2 battleship got hit by a torpedo. Did that guy ever fix his bike / I'm curious how much it cost?
  10. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple years involved in automotive rallying in Ontario, so I have a basic understanding of how events are to be run. The above sounds very wrong to me and paints a negative picture of this event. The second easiest class/route has you cutting trees for hours and teams arriving at the midway stop 5.5 hrs late? Obviously the route was not pre-run just before the event - a cardinal sin in the rally world. Was a chain saw part of the mandatory tool kit?

I was considering joining a team, buying different tires, and entering the Iron class. But after reading this I have significant reservations regarding the event in general.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  11. sidewayz_control

Oddometer:
    I've been involved in the Canadian rally championship for 20 years so chances are we know each other.

Neverless you are right in a way but should also understand the logistics behind organizing an event. First, this is not a race, it's a challenge. Second, the chainsaw was not part of the equipment but at the riders meeting Lee advised that we bring a saw. There was a wind storm 2 days prior and no way does he have the logistics to pre-run 4 different routes with a total of somewhere around 2000-2500km of unique road or trail. Thirdly it's not "the second easiest class/route" it's "the third hardest class/route" ;)

The origin of this event was to replicate a day of the Dakar rally. And like the Dakar, they don't pre-run every stage prior to the start and like the Dakar, sometimes the stage is not passable.

Don't look at it like a CRC event, that's way too formal and in all honesty kills most of the fun, you're not paying 1000$ entry fee either. It's a good event, well organised but more than anything your rider and bike prep is key.
    StanBo, Tessier and Jbone11 11 like this.
  12. sidewayz_control

Oddometer:
    The HP2 is in my garage and I will finish fixing it this winter. Chris did most of the work immediately after Dacre but family and work got in the way so he never finished. Have to pull the head to weld one of the threaded bosses that the valve cover bolts into. Aside form that it's fixed and looks like the abused HP2 it always has been. How much it cost? I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. Chris was pretty lucky though and scored a lot of used HP2 parts somewhere out in British Columbia I think. Those things are getting pretty rare.
  13. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Happens with other rallies too and is probably a bit of a norm given that many of the organizers are not doing this full time. Often some sections are pre-run but not all. Does make it interesting when there is a beaver lake on the route and your GPS says to ride through it or the washout on the route is filled with chest deep water or the endless downed trees. Not ideal but without some help to pre-ride it would be nearly impossible to cover all the tracks on a part time basis. You shouldn't let that put you off, these are what I call beer league rallies, which isn't to imply there are not some top level riders or terrain but that no one is getting a cash purse and the organization isn't a slick as something you see on Romanics. RC is creeping towards this and has put on some pretty damn good events, albeit with some hits and some misses along the way. I like where they are going as long as cost stay down or there is commensurate value. A one day event with a day of camping and a meal at the end shouldn't be hundreds of dollars. I had a lot of fun on their Rock Hounds. Missed the last Dacre but the 2012 and 2014 events were pretty good. 2016...I'll call it a transition year. Missed 2018, or rather wasn't keen enough to drive from NB.

On a side note, though remise to say so as its always fully booked out, you could check out La Classique. Extremely well organized with the benefit of corporate sponsorship and a crazy loyal community of riders. I'll hit this one every year if I can.
  14. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll second what Sidewayz is saying here.... Iron class guys got a real shit deal from mother nature right before the rally, and having to negotiate 15-20 fallen trees across the trail on a big ADV bike is not the norm for this class.... Although part of me would wager Lee might make this standard...LOL! Just kidding....??:lol3 All kidding aside, Lee and the RC crew make it plain as day that the Dacre is meant to be the toughest off road moto event around. Not a race, but a challenge Which it is in the most brutal sense of the word. :deal And personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
    Beerfire and sidewayz_control like this.
  15. mikel42

mikel42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the routes will be very similar for 2019. The information is pretty much the same as what's on the website right now. I imagine the bronze and iron classes might get a bit of retooling. I figure I can do 25% better being on a lighter bike.
  16. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Conditions will always change. We preside all of the route for timing and logistics, but then between the time it has been rode till the day of the event, storms, happen, rain, happens, a trail that was dry the week before drowns most bikes out there, makes trails slick and treacherous.

More information on this event will become available closer to the date, for now Lee is in Snowbike mode.
  17. Tessier

Tessier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason why I want to come back and ride again is because this was such as well done event the first time I rode. Seeing as I live in southern NH this is a haul for a one day event but was totally worth it. I don't mind the fallen trees and water holes and love the challenge portion of the ride. I have done the Roaming Rally for several years so I have a little familiarity with the area.

Any idea how many people enter each class? While I don't want to kill myself I am always up for a challenge and this could be a good warm up for the tour of Idaho were hoping to do next summer too.
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a sizable contingent from the US there this year. IIRC there were some WLF Enduro guys, Couple dudes from Revzilla were there and a bunch of their buds. There was even a skinny dude on a Ducati Multistrada... he rode that thing like a champ! As for how many guys in each class... again, IIRC correctly, there were maybe 13-15 guys in Gold Class, and about double that in each of the other classes.... Give or take. All I really remember was that there was a lot of guys but only a handful of teams in Gold class...LOL!

Do it. You wont regret it.
    StanBo likes this.
  19. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    The difficulty has ramped WAY up since 2012!
    Zero riders finished in Silver, Bronze, or Iron this past year.

Lee is aiming for, and achieving, an 85-90% attrition rate.

IMO a 690 would be a good fit for Bronze with a skilled rider, and Iron for an unskilled one.
    The 300 would be good for Gold or Silver.

Our team made it the farthest in the silver class for 2018. I'm reasonably capable. I would not have been able to get my old 690 though the silver line.
    I didn't find it overly difficult on my '18 GasGas GP250. Other riders on my team were incapable of continuing on 2-stroke bikes.
    If you are better on a bike than Lee you "probably" could.

StanBo likes this.
  20. TW Bandit

TW Bandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Look at all the Dacre talk already... very cool! Let me fill you guys in a little bit about the 2019 Dacre Rally. The route will be very similar to the 2018 Rally. Same start location and finish. Some sections will be run in reverse and the afternoon will contain a little more trail for the Gold class riders. Silver class will remain virtually the same with some different trail options. The Bronze & Iron class will be the same difficulty. We have plans to get a larger work team to pre-ride the Bronze & Iron classes closer to the start date. Anyone will tell you that the trail system that had all the fallen tree's down was quite easy and fun to ride. It was the killer wind and rain storm 5 days before the event that really made the forest access road a bad mess. That was not a prescribed challenge what so ever although I have to say you guys that battled through there are awesome. Have a look at the classification listings on the web page for types of bikes that are allowed in each class.