Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took two, but they’re not very exciting. FC49A35B-F55A-4EDD-87C7-F8CD4C3C7824.jpeg 3350E1A4-E7EA-4E7B-9AE0-8004201A1369.jpeg
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you guys are in the PDX area and want to have a beer, let me know - happy to have you over for something cold. Going to be frickin' hot the next several days.

Keep the sticky side down fellas :ricky
    Zakko likes this.
  3. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To bad we are already back in Olympia. If u are ever planning to come to berlin let me know :clap
    Zakko and liv2day like this.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying not to be pushy and take over this thread, but since someone didn't post anything yet for yesterday...and I'm awake and other people are not, here you (I'll try to keep it mostly pics).

...sort of like today, I was up earlier than others - I think they might be related to one another.
    IMG_8172.jpg

My bike was also ready to go, so went for a ride and - since I again have by far the lowest fuel range - a trip to the gas station.
    IMG_8173.jpg

took the chance along the way for some scenic pics of the "new" bike
    IMG_8174.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

these fellows seemed to be on German time and were mostly still sleeping as well...

IMG_8182.jpg

and I'm just going to put these pictures here for posterity, but I'll leave the storytelling to Nils and/or Zakko if they choose to do so
    IMG_8178.jpg
    IMG_8187.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8191.jpg IMG_8190.jpg
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8200.jpg IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg IMG_8210.jpg
    IMG_8211.jpg IMG_8215.jpg
    wilddoktor and Nixels like this.
  6. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mensch und kind! Gott im himmle! Das ist ja echt toll! Eins -A! Hahaha!! I could go on and on with some better shit but i’ll stop at that. Glad you boys are having the time of your lives. Really cool. Cheers!!
    Nixels likes this.
  7. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 36

After Josh posted already some pictures and pointed out that I'm late here now the RR from yesterday :ricky

We started early (8am) even tho Josh started even earlier.
    So we got breakfast at our La Quinta Motel and packed the bikes for a last time.
    20190826_081336.jpg

Then went to the harbour to see some sea lions and enjoy a little morning walk.
    20190826_083813.jpg

Next stop was supposed to be Whale Watching :smile6, but I needed to top up a gallon of gas to make sure I would make it to the next costco. So we stopped at a shell 5min before Depoe Bay, OR. Filled up 0,8 gal and started the bike again...well I tried to it was more of a brt brt and nothing. I was pretty confused since the bike turned on perfectly in the morning. I did realized when I started the engine at the harbor (after 3min drive from the Motel) it started kinda weird.
    I then realized the Heated Grips Switch was on, so I disabled the switch tried again nothing. We already had booked the Whale Watching Tour so we decided to park the bike and go whale watching haha.
    Successful
    Screenshot_20190827-213544_Video Player.jpg

We did tried to bump start the F800GS before, but this didnt went well, because of the as Rekluse Clutch. I think this is really the only disadvantage of the Rekluse...luckily Paul equipment me with booster cables. Thanks!!

So we went back jumpstarted the bike and it was all fine. Bike was starting perfect since. I think what happend was the Grip Heater took so much voltage right after I started it that it didn't had enough time to charge it full again when we rode from Motel to the Harbour.
    Anyways we were able to get the problem fixed really nice and easy :)

So after watching this one whale for a time we continued our way to the Tillamook Creamery, basically a huuuuuge Creamery with a nice showroom and big windows to look into the Creamery....good cheese samples aswell :tb.
    20190826_135037.jpg 20190826_140150.jpg

From there we kept following Josh up the coast on Hwy 101 to Astoria,WA
    20190826_142258.jpg

were we stopped for coffee. Well the older generation had coffee while I enjoyed a nice smoothie.
    We also filled up Gas the last time of the trip right before Astoria
    20190826_152831.jpg

After we crossed the very nice long bridge after Astoria,
    20190826_162208.jpg

we finished our last 110miles of this trip. So an hour later we arrived at Josh's place where we gonna spend the last two days.
    Nixels and Zakko like this.
  8. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second Last Day

So today I drove to BMW to get Oil and a filter, I also wanted to get new sprockets and a chain but since they didnt had that in stock I just got the Oil.

I did found a guy who was interested in buying it, but since it needed some service we ended up with the following deal. I would get a quote on the service from BMW and then lower the price of whatever the quote quotes.
    And since my F800 started to have the typical valve gasket problem that needed to be serviced aswell.
    So together with the oil I got a quote for chain/sprockets and the valve gasket.

I still wasnt sure if the interested buyer is real, since he texted me over Facebook (offered the Bike on Facebook Marketplace). He didnt had a profile picture or anything so it really kinda looked suspicious. But anyways we drove back to Josh's place where he offered to take us on a ride in his Deluxe Plymouth :queenie.
    How could we have said no to that so we really enjoyed a boat ride down to Olympia Downtown where we had a decent coffee (again just for the older generation I had a milkshake).
    20190827_124924.jpg
    20190827_140609.jpg

After we came back I changed the Oil and then started to drive to DuPont where I was supposed to meet this random guy from facebook.
    My dad joined me, so together we were on this parking lot of a middle school...no one there.
    The guy texted us we should go on the parking lot across the street, so we did.
    I pulled onto the other parking lot and I was sure this guy (who was waving at me) is not gone but the bike.
    He was like 5foot tall.
    But it was one chance I had, so I started talking to the guy. He tried to sit on the bike and wasnt able to reach the ground at all. So I was holding the bike while he was having a seat on it.
    I then took him on a test ride with him in the back and me driving.
    He was a really nice guy but I still thought there would be no way he would buy it.
    Well.
    He did :jack

So just perfect for me.
    I had the trip of the lifetime with my dad and was able to sell the bike a day before I leave. Couldn't have been better.
    Cheers to that :freaky
    SPX, Zakko and szurszewski like this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah! You left out my favorite part, @Nils K !

In my post above, do you see the guy in the safety vest? That’s Pogo, and here’s how we met:

We pulled in to the parking lot at the marina for our whale watching trip - me riding my bike and Nils and his dad on the big GS. A guy in a Depoe Bay city truck stops in front of us and says hey - great day for a ride! I say yeah it is,
    but we’ve got a dead battery to sort out after this boat trip. He suggests a place back in Newport for a battery. Great I say, we can probably get a T-25 Torx driver there too, because I only have larger sizes of torx with us. Wait, says Pogo - rummages in a bucket in his truck and turns around with a set of torx drivers and says, here you go - I’ve got an r1150r at home and I know what it’s like to need a tool on the road.

And that’s how we met Pogo.
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's fantastic, @Nils K that you found a buyer just afer you got back to Olympia. I was worried that you'd have to leave the bike here to be sold later. Seems like a perfect end to this trip. :beer

Oh, wait, you can't drink legally here. That toast is with @Zakko, so nobody accuses me of corrupting the youth around here... :deal

:lol3

Gustavo
    Zakko, Nils K and Nixels like this.
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if Nils has anything to post from their last full day in the US, but I got a few pics from their last evening. Nils requested Mexican, so we did that (don't worry @Gustavo - that's my margarita in the foreground!)
    IMG_8231.jpg

and followed it up with some gelato on the wharf (I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get Nils's cone before it disappeared).
    IMG_8232.jpg

Oh, though Nils had sold his and Kakko surrendered his to EagleRider, they still had a BMW (on loan from Mrs. Szurszewski) to ride around in for the day :)
    IMG_8237.jpg

Great guys, great times - all the Szurszewskis will miss them (so if you're reading through this in the future wondering if you should reach out to them on their next crazy adventure, yes you should!) and look forward to seeing what comes next.
    cheers!
    josh
    Baroquenride, Nils K, AVPU and 5 others like this.
  13. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    What a trip! I'm glad I got to meet you guys!
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  14. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hallo everybody,
    I‘m waiting for my flight back to Germany at Seattle SeaTac. @Nils K has left already to Central Canada. Gives me some time to reflect the past weeks.
    It was the most wonderful ride I‘ve ever made. Spending time with my son as well as riding through this beautiful country was truly fabulous. But the community for sharing this RR and even meeting quite a few of you was so nice as well. I want to thank you all for accompanying my son and me, for your thoughtful, often funny comments, hints and tips - and a very special thanks goes to @szurszewski for his tremendous support of this trip from the very beginning. Last but not least a big big thank you goes to @Nils K for setting up this great RR.
    I will continue scrolling through adv and hope to touch base with some of you again
    Cheers!

F3BF5563-BA30-44EB-A710-CA7CB3D40F97.jpeg
    Baroquenride, Nils K, SPX and 4 others like this.
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zakko asked if I’d take one last pic of the Koch boys before they went their separate ways, and here it is (with, of course, my son hamming it up in the background):

A6A94204-FCEE-4873-9E51-E200A2A1FA05.jpeg

...and because the best pictures are the ones you don’t know are being taken, I had to sneak a few more. Here is one of them:

FCEBC9E2-D25F-41D6-BEA2-60501E0E2DE6.jpeg
    SnipTheDog, Nils K, Nixels and 2 others like this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Working a night shift so finally got a chance to read this and what a read it was! I've been all over the West but at different times and it's fun to see this great land of ours through a different set of eyes!
    Nils K likes this.