Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait - what?!?! We’re following Dylan’s advice? The (really nice and very funny) guy who said he rides a Harley and some other bike he couldn’t remember the name of? Down some roads he said were “probably” “mostly” paved?

Oh man - tune in tonight for shots of my ST napping in a water crossing I guess....

:fpalm

...and if there is no report tonight, someone tell Mrs. Szurszewski I love her!
  2. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is awesome!
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you guys are having a good time and that side trip up McKenzie Pass seemed worth it. Sorry I missed you in Portland earlier in the week. Maybe on the way back?

Keep the rubber side down and out of ditches... :p3rry

:beer

Gustavo
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bwahahahaha...that's frickin' awesome :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Be curious to see how the ST does with a water crossing, likely a good thing it's August. Hope you guys don't have any issues with the fire I heard about on the news, supposed to be pretty big in southern Oregon right now (and along the I5 corridor).

@Nils K - enjoy Crater Lake, it's really quite something :nod :nod
  5. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 12:

Alright first of all...I'm pretty sure this will be one of the best entries in this Blog.

We started of from Oakridge,OR, didnt made it very far. Just approximately 500feet to the next gas station and then another mile to the Lion Mountain Bakery to stop for breakfast. Great place to have breakfast but it delayed the departure by a little over an hour. But hey who cares :lol3

So as said before we followed the reccomendation to go down Forest Service Road 21, Google map then took us off 21 on gravel road called 2134 (navigation to Umpqua Hot Springs).
    After making sure Josh really wants to take his Caty on the gravel, I was happy to finally get into some terrain which is made for my bike.:happay
    After probably 3 miles going up hill, with pretty loose gravel we stopped to check Google maps. Josh then decided to turn his Ducatio ST2 into a 2021 Ducati Mulistrada with taking off 4lb of air out of his tires. :augie
    View attachment 1817791
    The outside doesnt really look like the Multistrada, but it is now offroad ready!

So after we drove about 20 miles on gravel, down and arround a mountain. Which was really nice I enjoyed spraying my company with lots of dust and gravel while passing them or driving in front of them :dllama: (I was leading)
    20190802_105331.jpg
    20190802_105343.jpg
    Took us about 1,5 hours over gravel and then a little bit of pavement to the Umpqua Hot Springs. Forest Road 21 had good pavement and some nice views/curves. The Gravel road was fun aswell...only talking out of my perspective.
    Great place to stay, completely natural Hot Springs in the middle of the woods. Kinda weird to sit in there while there are about 85° F outside as well.

After probably about 20mins in the Hot Springs we hiked back (2 miles) to the parking lot and continued the ride from the Springs to the Crater Lake. We took HWY 138 to the North Entrance Station of the Crater Lake Park. The road which leads up to the Lake is absolutely scenic.
    20190802_135510.jpg
    Arrived on the Top we had a quick overview and then realized what happened to @szurszewski Multistrada while he was flying over the gravel...a part of the frame broke :muutt

Pictures are probably provided by @szurszewski later.

Since that was a major damage, we decided to drive straight over HWY 62 to Medford. On HWY 62 we went over a really nice little bridge called Peyton Bridge:
    20190802_153909.jpg
    Arrived in Medford we went to the local BMW Dealer who then sent us over to Thunderstruck (Custom Harley Shop) in Medford. We pulled in they had a look, rolled out the welder and starting working on it.

20190802_175910.jpg
    20190802_181831.jpg
    1,5 hours later it was all fixed...we will find out if it actually worked or not tomorrow.
    I'm sure @szurszewski will explain this part of the story a little more detailed.

We saw a clouds of Forest Fires along HWY 62 coming closer to medford. But nothing major at this time only 25ac on fire. But we also heard further down south I5 from Medford there are more then 17 000ac on fire...cant see or smell any of that up here tho.
    We finished this amazing day with a nice dinner at a Sportsbar :)
    20190802_203901.jpg

Attached Files:

6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Yikes, that's no good about the broken frame - looks to be part of the main trellis from the shot of where they were welding? I can't believe they actually did the welding with gas tank on :eek7 :eek7 I hope the weld holds and there aren't any issues as you guys keep riding.

Great pics, you definitely hit some of the fantastic parts of our state.

Ride safe and I hope the fires don't flare up to cause issues for you guys as you make your way south.

Lookin' forward to the next update :thumb
    lgb, Zakko and Nils K like this.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that is still to be seen as the roads today were dry - there was a lot of water running in the rivers, but we managed to stay out of it. I’ve got some pictures of other things, but since it was already brought up, here’s the frame damage:
    24D6861D-04DB-4A55-8FD5-6F157AE0B63A.jpeg

As Nils said, we started at the BMW dealer, Hansen’s, because I’ve mostly had BMWs the last twenty some years, and in that time had heard good things about this shop.

Mostly they were like, oh shit - how’d you do that? But they also provided a few numbers to call. One was closed, one said I don’t think I can fix that, but Mark at Thunderstruck Customs (at 5:30pm on Friday!) said what the hell, bring it down tonight and I’ll take a look maybe tomorrow morning.

Well, we got there and he said, ok - I’ll look now. The shop was full of bikes and there were a bunch more outside. He and the guys moved some bikes and we pushed the ST inside. Mark said, we’ll, let’s see if we can even get that clamped back together...the he said, let’s see if I can get my welding cables over this far...and some more bikes were moved. The cables wouldn’t reach, so more bikes were moved. Well, he said, I might as well try to at least tack it tonight...and then an hour later he was done. BDDF1559-4041-45ED-AA38-869A742330AA.jpeg 308C22C1-10CE-412F-8FA6-92B72B4F3714.jpeg 810CD151-4F57-406F-A83F-C3F00C3514B5.jpeg 8EB41D65-69E4-4DBF-8E7A-84F2FC08580A.jpeg

In the end I know the proper repair is a new frame or at the very least removing the frame to weld it more completely, but with the value of the bike - as much as I love it - that doesn’t make sense. If it holds I will continue to ride it, and if not I will take it apart and ... maybe put it back together someday.
    lgb, Terranewbs, Zakko and 4 others like this.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right? I specifically planned it so I’d end up at the shop nearly empty to facilitate taking off the tank. I suggested that as well as disconnecting the battery and computer. He said, dude I’ve been doing this 30 years without blowing up any of that; you can pull the computer if you want - that might be a good idea - but I’d not bother with the rest. Bike didn’t blow up, so I guess he was right. I did pull the computer...
    Zakko, Nixels and Nils K like this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

11. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No Risk No Fun :D
    Zakko and Nixels like this.
  12. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 13:

First of all...no gravel today and Josh's Bike Frame is still one piece.

We started early again at 8am and I do start liking these early starts. Especially in Medford this morning it was nice and cold outside. The temperature change over the whole day was insane tho. Started at arround 76° went up all the way to 98° and then ended with close under 60°.

First stop after starting in Medford was right before O`Brien, OR. To get there we took I5 and HWY 199.
    20190803_143832_094_saved.jpg
    20190803_143832_033_saved.jpg
    From there, following another recommendation of @Gustavo, we drove to Happy Camp over the Greyback Road. Which is again a beautiful road. I'm getting the feeling there a beautiful roads everywhere in this country. After this nice ride on that 2 lane really good paved road, we drove up HWY 96 to Hamburg, OR and then turned off on Scott River Road. This is mostly 1 lane with still decent pavement, but a little gravel on the road from time to time. Pretty scenic ride tho, to the right big rocks to the left high cliff, couldn't be better. HWY 3 down to Callahan was pretty straight but the nice view compensated that. At that point it was about 95°F...in full gear pretty hot. But still doable without the fancy cooling wests :D.

From Callahan to Somes Bar we took the Cecilville Road, which starts with an amazing 2 lane road with excellent pavement, half way through it narrows into a pretty narrow 1 lane road. With corners are turn which go back on back and are amazing to drive. But you never know what comes behind the curve. Which was fun for us but also a little nerv wrecking :wink:
    20190803_160048.jpg
    U can see the road a little bit there on the left :)

20190803_153947.jpg
    From Somes Bar we took HWY 96 South, which is another incredible road. In Willow Creek we changed to HWY 299 which was pretty nice since this road has a lot of long turns so you were able to go trough with a lot of speed.
    20190803_175909.jpg
    It felt like driving down a mountain all the way to Samoa, with losing altitude we also lost the temperature. As soon as we came close to the coast it started to get real foggy and as cold as 60°. In my whole mesh gear it felt like freezing cold after riding in the desert all day before.
    In the end another amazing day. Thanks again to @Gustavo for the suggestions. We are staying in Motel 6 tonight just like yesterday

I unfortunately dont have any pictures of the really cool, narrow windy roads. But it's just to great to ride that u dont wanna stop for a picture all the time, also the temperature is way to hot. At this point I really should have bought a GoPro before this trip.
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Lucky Doc

Lucky Doc n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Nils, this are the finest Pics i habe seen. I will stay with you guys

So, mein Englisch ist echt traurig ,
    Aber das wollte ich noch loswerden.
    Hammer Bilder, tolle Eindrücke, geile Bikes.
    Passt schön auf Euch auf und genieße jede Sekunde des Trips. Schön wenn man sieht das jemand seine Träume lebt
    Passt auf Euch auf und immer schön das schwarze nach unten Bro.
    Be unique, bikelife and always ride safe :jack
    Zakko, Nixels, Nils K and 1 other person like this.
  15. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Loving the report you guys! I appreciate you sharing the adventure with us.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Wow, you guys have traversed a bunch of great spots. I hope the fog burned off and gave you the opportunity to take in the views of the Pacific. Are you going to follow 101 south and ease your way down the CA coast? I haven't been there myself, but have read multiple reports about riding the Lost Coast down that way. It's just south of where you stopped at Samoa Cookhouse, supposed to be fantastic.

Great pictures, I don't have enough time exploring the southern part of Oregon (or northern CA) - hoping to change that down the road.

Keep enjoying the ride guys, looks like you're having a fantastic time :thumb :thumb
  17. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still foggy and damp this morning, but they’re probably not awake to see it yet. It’s time for me to head back to my normal world, and when I left this morning our fearless travelers were still a little sleepy.

DE7639C3-CB4B-422E-88D3-BE1F85F45B54.jpeg

Too bad because they’re missing an awesome sunrise.

BE843DC6-AFD8-42CA-8CD5-995E519DFF36.jpeg

I’ll add some more pics and video links when I get to my laptop and good WiFi.

Ride safely friends!
    Terranewbs, B10Dave, CCitis and 5 others like this.
  18. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Nils!

You are so fortunate to have routes from Gustavo. He is “The Roadmeister”!

The temperature transitions are common this time of year considering the distances, elevation changes, and climate zones. Remember your Windy Ridge section a few days back? I was riding in 90-degree temps along the Columbia river many years ago enjoying my Firstgear mesh jacket. 90 minutes later, we were getting close to Windy Ridge and I was suddenly hypothermic. Life in the Pacific Northwest!

Cool to have Josh along for a few days. Was he wearing a wig when I met him? ;-)

How is the 800 doing?
  19. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 800 is doing absolutely great!
    No issue at all. Since we are riding mostly on Pavement I'm burning down the back tire. But these tires are incredible on pavement. The stick on the ground just like race tires. Had some curves where I had the side stand on the ground....so you can take her pretty low and still feel totally comfortable.
    I'm starting to look for shipping costs to Germany :wings
    Terranewbs, Zakko and OlyRider like this.
  20. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Josh, it was very very nice riding and laughing with you. Thx for the company!