Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you two finally rolled out of bed, and I hope you have yet another great day!

I stopped two hours north In Brookings for a “quick” breakfast with friends...and we talked for three hours. Probably means I’ll be one more night on the road, but the good news is almost all the fog lifted, and this is all that’s left
    E508A1CE-9471-41BB-9210-CFEA1CACA88B.jpeg
    Just about my perfect riding temp now. Probably too cold for you ;)
  2. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :wave Nils & Zakko!

I don't know how far you've come, but if you haven't passed San Francisco, perhaps we could meet up? I may be able to take you on some local Bay Area roads that you might enjoy. Perhaps even give the PNW a run for their money regarding nice riding conditions. :deal

I've PM'd you with my info.

Good luck on the trip!

Nicky
    Zakko and szurszewski like this.
  3. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 14:

Potholes, Curves, Views, pushover, Fog, Rain, Out of Fuel what a day!

So we woke up this morning arround 8am. Josh was gone! :(::uhoh
    To bad, we really had a great time together.
    20190804_095652.jpg
    We took a late start at 10, got fuel and breakfast at costco and started into the day. It was still cold and foggy in Eureka.
    First ride was up the mountain on HWY 299 again to then get to Titlow Hill Road, according to a map we got from the BMW Dealer that road is one of the best in North Carolina.
    I can say it's not :jinx. The views are great and lots of turns, but there are more potholes than asphalt.
    At some point we made a stop to enjoy the view,
    20190804_122225.jpg
    my dad then tried to take the GS over some grass back onto the HWY.
    And it happened....he insisted of posting it himself so I wont go further into that but I can guarantee there are good pictures off it.
    Since everything was okay we continued the ride:
    20190804_122515.jpg
    20190804_132044.jpg
    So after an hour of driving arround potholes and enjoying the view we arrived in Mad River, where we drove on HWY 36 back to the Westcoast. Great Ride, good speed with decent amount of curves.
    After taking the 101 a few miles north we then stopped at a Gas Station right before Ferndale to get enough Gas for the Lost Coast Loop.
    Unfortunately since it was Sunday afternoon there was no cashier at the Gas Station. With a German Credit Card the Fuelpump says declined after entering (the right) Postal Code. This happens quite often, we haven't figured out the problem yet but we can't get it to work. I had 44 miles with my tank, we decided to just go and see if we can find another Gas Station.
    So the adventure started

As soon as we came onto the Lost Coast Road it started to fog up quite heavy. We weren't able to see further than 60 feet sometimes.
    20190804_160034.jpg
    And all of the sudden it started to rain a little too. I already came up with the idea to turn arround get a motel and to the loop tomorrow, but @Zakko suggested to keep going.

So we continued the ride arround potholes with absolutely no view :rofl. I started to watch my gas mileage fall and fall and fall, I thought the chances for a Gas Station are not really high so I was pretty excited about the upcoming adventure. We were about 25miles on the Lost Coast Road when at some point the fog got less.
    20190804_161437.jpg
    20190804_162649.jpg
    Another 3 miles later out of nowhere the fog was gone and we had unlimited vision.
    I was completely overwhelmed by the view
    20190804_162922.jpg
    We kept going and came to the point where the road actually goes ride by the Ocean. AMAZING!
    And completely blue sky, sun and not a single cloud left.
    Another 10miles and my Gas Mileage was at 15 miles. But I saw a Gas Tank down the road.
    Stopped and realized the Shop is closed, a few people arround told me the owner just left.
    Started to look arround no chance for Gas.
    So we got into a conversation with 2 people sitting in front of the Shop. They looked like it wasn't there first beer and it wasn't the first sunday afternoon they would sit in front of the closed shop in the middle of nowhere. Arround the corner there were some more people, I went over to them and asked if anyone has Gas. And this one older guy looked at me and said.
    Yes Son I got Gas at the Farm I'll get someone to get it, but for now Relax it will take a while. I was really happy in the first place that I would get Gas, but I also realized that this mean we will be stucked with thoose people there for a while.
    This older guy, my dad and I got into a really nice talk tho. It came out he was way smarter then he looked and probably not as drunk or high then everyone else arround. 20min later a pickup rolled up with 10 Gallons of Gas in the back. I used 2gal and offered him 20 Dollars + the 129 Thank You's before. He heavily denied and said u just make sure next time someone needs help u help him.
    Amazing to see that there are people like this out there, makes me feel so happy. After this awesome experience we continued the trip up some more decent curves, but since they were packed with potholes we only could enjoy a few. The very end was pretty cool since it went through the first Redwood State Park on our tour:
    20190804_145523.jpg
    After the Lost Coast Loop, which was by the way another great suggestions of the Roadmeister @Gustavo, brought us back to the 101 HWY we drove the Avenue of the Giants all the way up north till it connects to the 101 North. After another 5 miles on the 101 North we arrived in Rio Dell, CA where we are staying for the night.

This picture probably describes this whole day pretty good. Even tho we had a ton of potholes, it was just great!
    20190804_163615.jpg
  4. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My lesson learned of today:
    Never take a road tire too far off-road. When getting back on the road an armthick piece of wood - really not a giant lumber - made me look like a bug fallen on his back. The back wheel couldn’t get over it and my son immediately saw a chance for reve 20190804_123035.jpg nge ...
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that's one of the things I love to read when following a ride report, so cool @Nils K! I had my own experience during a solo rip last year and if it hadn't have been for the kindness of strangers, I was looking at a serious cluster f*ck in getting to my truck to then retrieve my bike and actually make it home. Had more help than I rightfully deserved and as such I always pay it forward whenever I can. It's great to read that someone helped when you were in need, those actions are what helps make a ride like this truly memorable.

Hell yeah man! Sweet that you were able to ride the Lost Coast (want to do so myself one of these years) and then go through the redwoods - drove through those many years ago and still remember how incredible it was. Bet you guys have a great trip down the coast, watch out for RVs and other maroons not paying attention.

Great updates @Nils K and @Zakko, looking forward to what comes next :thumb :thumb
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  6. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 15:

Starting in Rio Dell, CA we took the Avenue of the Giants and drove to the Founders Grove Trail Loop,
    20190805_103905.jpg
    then continued the ride to the Visitor Center to get some more information about the Redwood Trees. We then took the Shelter Cove Road to the Shelter Cove. Really nice ride! And amazing view in the end.
    20190805_125135.jpg
    After a quick stop at the lighthouse we were excited to take the road back up again to then get back on the 101 HWY down to the Chandelier Drive Through Tree :rayof
    20190805_142034.jpg
    After some time there watching other people scratching there mirrors or doors while trying to drive through the tree we cruised down HWY 1 to the Coast.
    What a Road! Felt like u would ride in heaven. And luckily the roads weren't to busy we were able to enjoy most of HWY 1 without cars at all. And the few motorhomes and cars we meet pulled over quite fast to let us pass :ricky

After the overwhelming moment of seeing the Ocean
    20190805_153833.jpg
    we continued our trip right on the ocean to Fort Bragg.
    Since my dad lived in Fort Bragg for 9 months when he was young we did a little city tour and then meet friends of my dad.
    Paul and Judy, they invited us to stay at there house, took us out for dinner at the Mayan Fusion Restaurant were we got some really nice Seafood. And the best chocolate ice cream if ever eaten, spicy chocolate ice with a little bit of cinnamon.
    After that they took us down to the South Coast Trail. Where we enjoyed a little walk and the first Sundown in California.
    20190805_204605.jpg Its been great, such nice people.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great day of riding and report @Nils K, so cool to get to experience the giant redwoods and then cruise along the coast into Fort Bragg. Pretty cool that your Dad lived there for a while, was he there for business back in the day?

Really neat to have friends there and how awesome to reconnect and have them show you around as well as give you a place to lay your heads at night.

Great pictures from the coast, haven't ever ridden down there and it's an area I'd like to explore sometime.

Appreciate the update, looking forward to seeing what comes next :thumb :ricky
    Zakko likes this.
  8. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll leave the story what my dad was doing down there to him @Zakko.

But I can tell as soon as you got time get on HWY 1 and ride down and up the coast as long as you can. Its absolutely amazing!
    Zakko and liv2day like this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and you haven’t even reached my favorite part of 1 yet...
    Zakko and Nixels like this.
  10. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I was there because my wife then went to the world famous woodworking school of James Krenov. I tried to use the time to become a Millionair, but couldn’t find a job as dishwasher. As a result I ended up doing an MBA at UC Berkeley later on.
    liv2day, Nixels and Nils K like this.
  11. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 16:

After a great breakfast prepared by Paul, the friend of my dad in Fort Bragg, we started into our day with a ride down to Mendocino, CA.
    Did a little City tour, since my dad also had lots of memories in this town.
    We also had to get some Gas, but the Chevron Station in Mendocino wanted us to pay 6,35$ per Gal.
    My dad had still 100miles left in his tank, but I was down to 31miles. Even though my dad was paying for Gas, I was just way to greedy to spend that much money on Gas. So I Googled the next Gas Station on our Way...it was 35miles away.
    So @Zakko said we would fuel up here, but I insisted on not paying that much on gas. So I allowed my dad to put 2,03$ of Gas in my tank :rofl

We then continued the cruise down HWY 1,
    20190806_122335.jpg 20190806_131218.jpg
    it was a little foggy but you were able to see about half a mile which is enough to see the next curve. And what else do you need :ricky

So after 35miles down HWY 1 we arrived at the Gas Station with a price of 4,35$/gal....my gas mileage was showing 0. Perfect timing :super
    20190806_110114.jpg
    So fueled up both bikes and kept going down the coast, HWY 1 is such a beautiful road. We took a Detour down Sir Francis Drake Blvd
    20190806_151851.jpg
    20190806_152909.jpg
    which takes u right to the Point Reyes Lighthouse.
    Which is on a high cliff pretty far off the usual coast. So about 10 miles in the ocean.
    Little bumpy ride but worth it!
    20190806_152250.jpg
    There is one part right now which is a little flooded
    20190806_145113.jpg
    The fog cleared off by that time so we had a decent view.
    20190806_151705.jpg
    From there another 30min along HWY 1 to then took a left onto the Panoramic HWY which is a narrow windy road up Mt Tamalpais.
    While is was racing through these curves I realized how I started to love this F800 GS. It's great offroad, even if I haven't tried it that much by now. But it's also so amazing on the road, if driven mostly Naked Bikes or Racing Bikes before. And this bike is almost the perfect mix. You can shred the curves without missing anything from other bikes.
    I'm sure "Bumblebee" has a lot of fun in the curves with me, since I'm bringing it to the very limit. Already had the left side stand scratching the ground in curves from time to time, today I also had the main stand touching the ground in a right curve....have to make sure I dont smoke off the side stand just driving through curves :imaposer

After we made it all the way to top,
    20190806_162903.jpg
    luckily without cars, except one. HWY 1 was a little busier than the whole time before. But still not as bad as expected. Only a few motorhomes and all slow cars just pulled over to let us pass.

Since my dad also had spend quite a while arround San Francisco, we are able to stay at another friends place (Linda's Home)

So we arrived and after a little bit off getting each other up to date we went for a dinner and meet another friend of my dad. I'm so glad to be able to meet all these people just as Paul and Judy before, Linda is so kindfull and warm hearted. They just open the doors and provide a home for a night :clap
  12. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm I wonder if we did hit your favorite spot today then :loco
    Zakko likes this.
  13. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The riding through the redwoods is a special experience. These quiet giants provide a great deal of comfort. Loving nature at its best. I think this line speaks more than a thousand pictures. EE7EFB1F-8415-4ED1-ABCD-02769328BC7D.png
    Nixels and Nils K like this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, but you're getting closer. I thought you might hang out in Ft. Bragg a day or two - if I'd known you were going to get to San Anselmo today I would have suggested visiting the jeweler in Pt. Reyes on the way there - he made our wedding rings (and some other jewelry for my wife as well), and he produces a good variety of things in case either of you was looking for a true made in America souvenir or gift to send home.

Anyway. Keep an eye out for this sign - my favorite bit of 1 starts there.

IMG_6830.jpg
  15. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To bad we missed out, that would have been a good stop...still looking for the perfect souvenir.

Uhhh that sign is my favourite one, without even having it seen with my own eyes.
    But who's bike is this?
    Looks like your Bag in the back there. That's something you haven't told me about. Looks great!
    Zakko and Nixels like this.
  16. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about nature and how important it is to preserve it: during our ride today my son @Nils K pointed out a sign at a vineyard

„SAVE WATER - DRINK WINE“

Nice eco-business
  17. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is my bag on there - well, sort of - I actually borrowed it for the pictured trip from @DRONE and sort of never returned it (I swear - it was his idea - he'd gotten that one all dusty and replaced it with a new one!), and that bike belongs to a friend.

I think I *did* tell you at least a little about it, but I talk a lot so you may have tuned it out ;) - you did have a lot on your mind when we first met...but if you want to know a LOT about it, you can check here:
    https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/91594-riding-other-peoples-bikes-down-and-up-the-best-coast/

Can't wait to see what comes next - stay safe and keep having fun!
    Zakko, Nixels and Nils K like this.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's really cool @Zakko, both that your wife went to a woodworking school and you ended up getting your MBA at Berkeley. Wish I would have studied abroad when I was growing up, I think the experience is a priceless piece of one's character.

Having washed dishes in a restaurant before, I'd say you lucked out in not getting a job as one :lol3 :lol3.

Keep the sticky side down as you continue your journey south :thumbup
    Zakko, Nixels and Nils K like this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn @Nils K, all the pictures you're posting is whetting my appetite to get another street oriented bike again :lol3. Won't be in the cards anytime soon, but it's great to see the places you're experiencing as you make your way south.

Can't believe fuel was over $6/gallon in Mendocino - that's outrageous (and stupid). Good on you for saving some $$$ and heading to another station, even if it's only a few dollars, it'd be worth it for me too.

It's so cool that you're connecting with friends your Dad made, I bet they're having a great time not only catching up with your Dad, but also getting to know you.

Appreciate the update and all the pics, looking forward to seeing where you guys travel next and what the adventure brings your way :ricky :ricky
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  20. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    I was headed to the Peet's on Solano Avenue as I crossed UC campus in front of the stadium. It's a narrow road and has a lot of foot traffic, so the speed limit is 10mph or something. I see two BMWs coming the opposite way, and realize as I pass that it is Nils and Christian! I turn around, pass a car illegally and get them to stop. They were taking a look at campus where Christian retreated to Business School after giving up his opportunity for millions of clean dishes. :scratch

Since we met along the way, we traveled right up to Grizzly Peak. A little early for the golden sunset, but a nice view anyway.

Here we are, being sightseers at The Wall, a Berkeley motorcycle tradition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After an introductory chat (I didn't do ALL the talking, Josh!) we rode the rest of Grizzly Peak and had dinner at Station Burger.

I'm very glad we met and got a chance for a little ride and a few stories. :thumb

Have a great trip!