Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is so fucking cool! Is there something about the Bay Area that makes shit like this happen? (Sorry - I swear kind of a lot when I get excited...) We (my family and I) did a 40k+ mile trip and got spotted by ADVers only twice, and one of those times was crossing the Golden Gate. What are the chances???

This has pretty much nothing to do with me, but it makes my day!

In fact, just that first picture made my day. So freakin' cool.

Ok - sorry for the outburst. Carry on...
    Zakko, Nixels and Nils K like this.
  2. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Nixels, it was great fun meeting you and having the beautiful vista from Grizzly Peak. Looking forward to meet again.

Thanks to @szurszewski for hooking us up.
    szurszewski, Nils K and Nixels like this.
  3. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For all international riders:
    Many gas stations require your ZIP code for authorization purpose when paying with credit card. Now, that doesn’t work for cards issued outside the US. However, we figured, if you type in „00000“, your card is being accepted. Kind of fun to outsmart the system :imaposer
    Terranewbs, wilddoktor and Nixels like this.
  4. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 17

San Francisco
    We started late at 10:30am and cruised to the Golden Gate Bridge Viewpoint, unfortunately it was pretty foggy so after seeing half of the Bridge we decided to go further into Downtown San Francisco. Over the Golden Gate Bridge for sure.
    20190807_120652.jpg
    First Stop was Palace of Fine Arts, 10min walk that was enough ;)
    After that we drove up to the Twin Peaks it was a mix of fog and clear blue sky, the view was great tho!
    20190807_131949.jpg
    20190807_130932.jpg
    On the way from the Twin Peaks to the Lombard Street my dad lost magnificent power in his GS. He reckoned the bike started to run only on one cylinder...he barley made it up the hills in San Francisco. That was a moment where I saw myself in my dad, which was great. A few years ago I would freak out about such minor things and my dad would try to calm me down. This time my dad looked like he would come through a second midlife crisis, while I was thinking the bike sounds way better with just running on one cylinder. Second thought was, it's a rental bike. Worst case he gets a new bike :clap.
    After stopping at the Lombard Street to drive it down and take some pictures
    20190807_135727.jpg
    we restarted my dad's GS and it was running absolutely fine. Only the Check Oil lamp came on.

So we continued down to Pier 39, since we both aren't really interested in insanely overpriced food or souvenirs and dont really like overcrowded places, we just took a walk through watched the Sea Lions for a bit and then went back to our bikes.
    20190807_143047.jpg
    I was hungry, my dad still worried.

So we drove to Costco, took the Columbus Ave and Market Streat which was quite scenic.
    20190807_151532.jpg 20190807_150837(0).jpg
    I then had a great American late Lunch at Costco, drove through the now starting Rush Hour to the San Francisco BMW Dealer. They treated us great! We stopped by 20min before they close. They topped my dad up with oil and checked the tire pressure of both of our bikes and filled them up to! All for free isnt that great.

From there we took the Oakland Bridge to the Berkley Marina. Next stop was the Berkley University, and just while we were going down the road close to Berkeley Campus we passed another biker. I ended up seeing him a few seconds later in my mirror. This is how we meet @Nixels. This is us on the way to the Grizzly Peak.
    20190807_185421.jpg
    He already told what we did so only thing I can tell he is another amazing ADV guy. Really nice outgoing person. And I can tell you @szurszewski that he wasn't talking all the time ;). Thanks for connecting us!
    20190807_191405.jpg
    MadRider777, liv2day, Zakko and 2 others like this.
  5. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Btw for old-fashioned offline map enthusiasts like me I can highly recommend Butler Motorcycle Maps. Best motorcycle roads are highlighted. I bought it at the BMW shop in Medford, which is a great place with very nice people. I was happy to see the owners old „Gummikuh“ in the showroom. Not sure whether that’s in English called „rubber cow“. :topes
    Nixels and szurszewski like this.
  6. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 18

After a great breakfast at Linda's house (my dad's friend) we started our day with try number two at the Golden Gate Bridge
    20190808_105607.jpg

As you can see better then yesterday but still with some fog. While we were on HWY 101 to the GG Bridge the 1200GS of my dad lost power again. To loose 80% power on the highway because your bike goes into limp mode. Anyways after restarting the engine it worked fine. We still decided to go to Eagleriders to get that checked. Since we still wanted to do the scenic ride we took the Great Hwy along the coast, then took Hwy 1 all the way to Pescadero, CA from there we made our way back east over the Pescadero Creek Road, which is a really nice little windy road. From La Honda, CA we drove up Hwy 84 which is also pretty nice. The Hwy 280 brought us ride to Eagleriders in South Francisco, to cut it short. Eaglerider store over there told us he is just franchising so he couldn't get us a bike. Called another store they had only harleys available.
    So we decided to just keep going since the problem didnt came up again, Mo from eagleriders in south Francisco recommended a BMW Dealer in Mountain View, CA. We were planning on visiting the Google Headquarters anyways which is also in Mountain View.
    The BMW Dealer over there told us there computer is down they would have to install new software in their computer before they could check the GS bla bla. We decided to just keep going, after they told us 1 out of 40 GS's has this Glitch that there is a unknown code in the system which comes up as a fault, bike gets confused-> limp mode.
    So back to the trip, we drove to Googles Headquarters, I know u can read this Google. Your Headquarter is absolutely boooooring we expected something extraordinary fancy, but nothing :snore

So we continued to Apples Headquarters, we were sure they would be fancy. And indeed way cooler, the infinity loop building is soo impressive.
    So without buying any fruits we cruised down Hwy 9 to the coast. Highly recommended road :)
    20190808_170804.jpg
    even with a 4 mile construction Zone in the middle just beautiful. Right in the beginning of Hwy 9 I also found my favorite sign
    20190808_165043.jpg
    (26 miles of winding road) still waiting to find @szurszewski 's favorite one.
    We ended up stopping at Costco in Santa Cruz for a Pizza, and then stopped again at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. After a little walk down the beach and up the Wharf, we headed to Monterey, CA.
    20190808_193133.jpg
    The drive from Santa Cruz to Monterey over Hwy 1 was cold, dark and boring :lol2

To have a tinted visor is definitely not the best at night.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are soooooooooooooo close....
    Zakko, Nils K and Nixels like this.
  8. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    [Google Autocorrect]

:scratch Very strange that your post has been corrected. :dunno

:hide

:rofl
  9. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wings
    Nixels and Zakko like this.
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are getting great advice from the folks here on all the best roads.
    Do not know if you will have time,but a loop out thru southern Utah canyon lands and to the Grand Canyon,Monument Valley would be a great addition to your trip.

JR356
    Zakko likes this.
  11. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are in Monterey, CA right now. Heading to Los Angeles tomorrow.
    After staying 2 nights we are thinking about checking out San Diego to then cut east. Only plan is to be back in Seattle by the 27th of August. Saved your recommendations, open for more :ricky

Thanks!
    Ride Safe
    Zakko likes this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great couple of updates @Nils K! No good to hear about the issue with the big Beemer, strange that the dealers don't have an idea how to fix either. Software glitches suck, especially when you're in the middle of a ride. Hope it doesn't rear its head again.

So I have to ask as you've mentioned it a few times now - you have an affinity for Costco for lunch? From a budgetary standpoint, I totally get it - nothing like ok food for a good price. But there are so many excellent places to chow :lol3 :lol3. Just curious :D

Continued safe travels, looking forward to hearing what comes next. If you get a chance, you should go visit Laguna Seca. Have really fond memories of going to see Nicky Hayden win the GP there back in '06. It's a cool track and a bit of history to boot.
  13. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha you are paying close attention. I really do love Costco, went along on all my traveling before (great for Gas on a Roadtrip in Canada), food is tasty fast and cheap. I only stayed alive because of Costco in Hawaii :jack

But my dad (since he has a little more life experience really appreciates real restaurants more), so we basically just rarely stop at Costco. But I always mention it extraordinary since it's a highlight for me haha. In the past we stopped at a few really great restaurants...open for restaurant recommendations down the coast from Monterey.
    Josh also wanted me to post more about the food we are eating, from now one I'll upload a few pics from time to time off food too :imaposer

(The only thing my dad has eaten at Costco was Pizza, he is not really convinced by now)

Good thing about the big Beamer is that its just a computer acting weird. So it worked fine in the past with just restarting it...which wouldn't be to bad to do in the middle of nowhere ;)
    Terranewbs, Nixels and Zakko like this.
  14. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @liv2day, I took him to Whole Foods Market, but - hell - the seed of cost consciousness is so deep that even, if his Dad is paying, he prefers going to Costco. But we do find compromises :1drink
    Terranewbs, Nixels and liv2day like this.
  15. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 19

20190809_105556.jpg

Lots of Fish and Water

This more like a follow my day then a ride report.
    We started the day arround 10am and drove to the Monterey Aquarium, where we stayed till 5pm.
    Really amazing place.
    After that we decided to go for some riding. We wanted to see Point Lobos, but when we arrived it was already closed. So that will be the a thing for tomorrow morning.
    On the way to Point Lobos going down Hwy 1 I did found my favorite sign tho! Even better then @szurszewski favorite sign :lol2
    20190809_183808.jpg
    Since we got disappointed at Point Lobos we followed @liv2day 's recommendation to go to Laguna Seca. If u take the Carmel Valley Rd and then Laureles Garde Rd it will give u a decent overlook through the desert hills arround Monterey and take you ride to Laguna Seca. Arrived at the Racetrack we stayed for a while. Watched some old timers pass by.
    20190809_192018.jpg
    And walked up a little mountain to get a nice overview.
    20190809_195910.jpg
    20190809_201936.jpg
    Then finished the day in a decent restaurant (still great prices) (@liv2day :lol3:lol3).
    20190809_212025.jpg
  16. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 20

Los Angeles is coming up.

Start today was Monterey, from there 20min down Hwy 1 to Point Lobos. Since it was Saturday the park was packed. All parking lots full, they closed the entry. Instead of waiting an hour to get in we just hit the road. Another few miles down Hwy 1 I spotted @szurszewski favorite sign :clap
    20190810_093638.jpg
    I got hyped after seeing all these points saying there wouldn't be a single straight strip for the 60miles. And I didnt really got disappointed. The road was great lots of curves, but especially the first 20miles after Monterey where packed. Scattered by cars and motorhomes, that gave us more time to enjoy the view. Good compromise
    20190810_093959.jpg
    Unfortunately after driving for a few miles, slow, but with a great view it started to get super foggy. And then a mix of misty fog and clear blue sky all the way to Ragged Point,CA.
    After Hwy 1 was mostly straight
    20190810_224032.jpg
    but still pretty nice road right by the coast. Switched to Hwy 101 to get to Santa Maria. And then took the Foxen Canyon Road. Highly recommended if going arround Santa Maria. Great road through the deserts and wineries.
    20190810_145742.jpg
    20190810_155933.jpg
    Over Hwy 154 to Santa Barbara from there over Hwy 101 to Oxnard. Where we are staying tonight.
    I'm getting excited for Los Angeles tomorrow :)
  17. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NEW RECORD:
    Our curve counter hit 100,000 today! :clap:clap:imaposer
    In fact, we hit 3,000 miles today. And as the Motocycle Buddhist puts it „the curve is the reward“ I can’t wait for the next reward
  18. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 21

Los Angeles

Its getting warm yay. Or should I say hot haha. After having the cold ocean breeze with us for the last while I'm happy to have it a little warmer. While my dad is already missing the cold :jack

But back to the Ride Report, so after a nice Oatmeal breakfast at our AirBnB we drove down Hwy 1 from Oxnard to the Yerba Buena Road. Thought this would be a good alternative to the Mulholland Hwy, which was closed I think because of a wildfire and massive damage to the road. The Yerba Buena Road was pretty much half ok and half decent. First half was a little rough, second half was really nice tho. The view was decent all the way. Lots of mountains and desert. Pretty cool for me since If never been to a desert before.
    I really wanted to the snake carspot (the famous youtube curve on Mulholland Hwy), but unfortunately that part was closed aswell
    20190811_102353.jpg
    ...with k rails half mile behind these signs. So no way.

This is a view onto the Mulholland Hwy
    20190811_101039.jpg
    But enough crying the road arround was nice too :)

We took the Kanan Dume Road back down to the coast, it comes out right before as Malibu. After driving through Malibu where traffic already got pretty busy. We arrived in Santa Monica.
    For me this part of the ride was pretty bizarre, since I thought I would totally know the area....and that only because I played the online multiplayer game GTA 5. Which plays in Los Angeles, and it's insane how detailed the game is. If never been to LA before but thought I would have seen all of that before :loco

After cruising down along the beach for a while, in packed traffic, we decided to go up to West Hollywood where our AirBnB is. Dropped of our bags had a little rest and then went on for some sightseeing. First stop the Griffith Observatory.
    20190811_144009.jpg
    Pretty decent view over LA, I think the Fog in the background must be smog...that would be crazy.
    20190811_144542.jpg 20190811_144119.jpg
    Next Stop was the Hollywood Sign we rode up to the Hollywoodland Neighborhood
    20190811_150705(0).jpg
    and realized fast that there is a ton of cars going up these super narrow roads trying to get the perfect picture. To live arround there must be horrible. Anyways we drove to the end of the traffic jam, managed to get a decent view on the Hollywood sign through a gap of trees and houses.
    20190811_151413.jpg
    Enough for us we turned arround.
    Drove through Hollywoodland a little more. Really nice 1 lane narrow windy roads. You cant go fast but the turns are fun and to see these huge mansions and villa's is cool too.
    The last destination was the Mulholland Drive which goes through Hollywood Hills. Nice view, nice road nothing more to say ;)
    20190811_153927.jpg
    Drove the whole Mulholland Drive all the way to the Northside of Hollywood Hills and then back, stopped at Whole food to get some groceries.
    Back in the Airbnb I prepared some Wraps,
    20190811_201821.jpg
    after eating those we are now satisfied and ready for bed. :beer
    Terranewbs, B10Dave, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  19. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dont wanna spoiler, but I think next reward will be even more curves :ricky:ricky
  20. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Just so you know, you are in the pit of hell. :deal

But don’t worry, just don’t look back when you leave, you could turn into a movie star. :sweeti

Or a pillar of salt. But that’s not as bad. :patch

:lol3
    Zakko and Nils K like this.