Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up after being off-grid a couple days riding myself.

Awesome you guys were able to hit Laguna and check out the track and some action there. It's a neat place. Not to thread-jack, but captured this shot of Nicky Hayden (RIP) leading Rossi during the '05 GP which he won. Kick ass day to be at that track.

nhaydent11gpldg2.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a great day out and about.

:rofl :rofl

Nothing like a good Mexican meal that doesn't break the bank to end the day, good on you for venturing beyond Costco :lol3
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  2. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 22

The first day without riding :loco:hide

Since a day without riding a motorcycle isnt really a day worth talking about it, I'll cut it short ;)

Los Angeles has a ton of traffic completely ridiculous. Public transportation is slow and totally unreliable.
    Venice Beach and the Pacific Ocean is nice.
    20190812_140626.jpg 20190812_140416.jpg
    I imagined the Santa Monica Pier and especially the walk of fame way more glamorous.
    Snapchat-899486902.jpg 20190812_192442.jpg

E Scooters are so much fun :rofl
    20190812_193646.jpg

That's all I'm gonna say :smile6
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a (very small) group of just graduated high school seniors to LA (from very rural Alaska) for a senior trip. The pier was one of the things they were most looking forward to...and it was the only day of the trip with terrible weather - rain and a heavy wind coming in off the water. We spent maybe thirty minutes on the pier and then had a depressing lunch of cheap pizza in our rental van in the parking lot...

At least you had good beach weather :)

Oh hey - regarding our conversation earlier, if you did want to head back to the Bay Area first instead after heading inland, you could do something like this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 11.28.40 PM.png

or even this, which would get you Lolo Pass ...

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 11.31.32 PM.png
    Nils K, Zakko and Nixels like this.
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I don't know man, it looks like the "Grand Canyon" way point in those maps in the Grand Canyon West section, which is impressive due to the glass SkyWalk, but otherwise an expensive tourist trap. I would skip it in favor of either the South Rim park (https://goo.gl/maps/gDR8VRXrMk3XgJPL6) or even better, the North Rim park, which is a lot less touristy and crowded (https://goo.gl/maps/1rTFigmwpFzjosSs5). Doing the North Rim also puts you on the right road to the SW Utah parks - Zion, Bryce, etc.. From Vegas, I'd stop at Zion first, then North Rim, then Bryce and north from there. As usual with free advice, it's worth what you paid for it... :lol3

BTW, if you come by Vegas in the middle of the week, send me a note, we'll get the beers and dinner we didn't manage in Portland.

Gustavo
  5. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read this and thought "Um...you've never been to LA before, have you??"
    :jack

I agree with @Gustavo ; North Rim, then SW Utah parks.

Really enjoying your RR!!
    Nils K, Zakko and Nixels like this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I literally just typed “Grand Canyon” into google maps as a waypoint. I wasn’t trying to suggest an exact route, just a general suggestion vs hitting Vegas and some other southwest stuff before heading back to the Bay Area and back up the coast.

Either of the suggested GC stops are good ideas. :)
    Zakko likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great way to spend a day or two off the bike, checking out the beach and enjoying some of the southern CA weather. Was the beach packed? And how was it walking around - packed with lots of tourists?

We trailered bikes down to the border for a Baja trip last year, never thought I'd spend well over an hour on I5 trying to get from one side of that crazy city to another. No clue how people deal with it on a daily basis - drove me nuts and there's no way I'd ever think about living anywhere near that insanity. Hell, the PDX area has exploded over the last decade and I want to move from here now.

Looking forward to what you guys have on tap next. Are you going all the way down to the border, or is it time to start the return trek north? Looks like a few good options have been suggested. So much to see. I would suggest taking the opportunity to go through Death Valley National Park, though it'll be hot as hell.

Sticky side down guys :thumb
    Zakko likes this.
  8. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Zakko likes this.
  9. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, thanks for all the trip tips. @Gustavo , for the near future your plan looks great

Lesson learned today:

BF06D8EB-501D-4F55-AD1D-561F6188BC78.jpeg
    Deep in the desert mysterious influences can impact the thermometer. And Rattle snakes are not always Fata Morganas. I guess, I take that thermothing to the shop (.... IF we ever get out offear)
    Nixels likes this.
  10. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 23

What a day! :ricky:ricky

Starting at 9am from West Hollywood, Los Angeles
    20190813_081059.jpg
    First Stop was Costco, not for food, for Gas ;)
    From there we took the fastest route to get out of the craziness of traffic. Which was HWY 2 up north into the Mountains. Absolutely gorgeous two lane road winding through the mountains. If u are on a bike and want to pass Los Angeles take that detour! Its absolutely worth it. There was almost no traffic at all, great views, great pavement and decent curves :)
    20190813_093540.jpg 20190813_094814.jpg
    We stayed on Hwy 2 going east probably half way through we saw the first bit of desert....I never saw a desert before. So after racing through all these curves, seeing the desert just got me even more stoked. To calm myself I just drank some water and ate trail mix
    20190813_103817.jpg 20190813_104547.jpg
    After probably two hours on Hwy 2 we hit Hwy 138. This is mostly just straight with an amazing view tho
    20190813_111222.jpg
    Hwy 138 was the connection to Hwy 18 which takes u along Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake. To get arround Big Bear Lake we switched to Hwy 38, since it's closer to the water. At some point we passed a little sign saying Jet Ski Rental....it didn't took long to convince each other. So here we are
    20190813_131021.jpg
    30 minutes on Big Bear Lake. An absolute blast! If there is any comparable feeling like riding a motorcycle, its Jet Ski :pynd
    It was my first time, what a beautiful experience.

So after we both raced over the Lake with 45mph, and made a ton of turns, spins and jumps we continued our way down Hwy 38. Again also Hwy 38 is a really nice road. Which slowly takes you done the mountain into the desert.
    It got warmer and warmer and hotter and hoooot.
    The view was pretty amazing tho. Driving down a road, everything close is flat and sandy and then big desert mountains surrounding everything.
    To get to Indio,CA where we are staying tonight we took i10 for the rest of the way.
    Which was pretty boring and hot haha. And as already posted by @Zakko highest temperature was 113°.
    We will see if we can get even more tomorrow :jump

... I really have to say I'm totally in love with the small GS by now. Absolutely amazing bike....cant take the curves as sharp anymore tho, or I'll loose my Side Stand
    20190813_185122.jpg
    And I guess its slowly time for a new back tire aswell :smile6
    20190813_185113.jpg
    MadRider777, Nixels, Zakko and 3 others like this.
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and running in through the desert in summer is not going to help that tire any. Keep the tire pressure at max, or you will not have any thread even before you get to Las vegas.

Gustavo
    Nixels and Zakko like this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great pics of riding through the mountains @Nils K & @Zakko! And how awesome that you stopped at the lake and hit the water on some jet skis. Have ridden those several times and it's always a blast. I did learn a lesson about turning too hard, damn thing chucked me off at about 30mph and I skipped across the water before auguring in - knocked the wind out of me and I was really glad to have a life vest on...lol.

Where were you guys when you hit 113 degrees? That's effin' hot, doesn't matter if it's a dry heat or not :lol3. Hope you're able to climb in elevation and get out of those temps.

Have you decided on a northerly route yet? What's up next?

Looking forward to whatever it is :thumb
  13. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, and a great trip. You really ARE getting great road advice here. You hit some of the best CA roads!
    Zakko likes this.
  14. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx @BigDogRaven, this is a Great Community
  15. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4A9E1CFF-2946-4D62-8729-46C504CB3C72.jpeg

Yet another difference between Northern (NC) and Southern California (SC):
    In NC the sign above means you can go 35mph; in SC it means you can go easily 45mph. Today we made it with 55.
    Now, that opens up room for interpretation, i. e.
    - NCns are risktaker
    - SCns are timid
    - SCns don’t care about recommended speed anyway
    - SCn insurances have triggered societal thinking in way that safe is not safe enough, ultimately leading to a „don’t drive“ recommendation

Ok, I stop ride here. To be continued on your own thoughts...

3CEF7E47-AD3F-4E1B-BCB0-EC96682522F2.jpeg
    We sure did @szurszewski :clap

And here he was doing it again! Working on the rear tire, my dearest son @Nils K
    B52AAAD3-FB85-47BF-B579-F397CEB424C0.jpeg
    1E6B4E5A-5F0C-46B2-A0DC-B6FFAA9F0FCE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Terranewbs, Nixels, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  16. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only thing in my mind rn....where is that sign on your profile picture :p3rry
    Zakko likes this.
  17. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it was 110,3° close to Indio,CA were we stayed last night. Going through the desert today took us up to 112,1°. Now being in Vegas it's pretty chilly with only arround 108° :D:clap
    Zakko likes this.
  18. Electrical

Electrical Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A belated welcome to America! Land of the free, home of the brave :)

If you camp in the desert don't be afraid of the hand-sized tarantulas; they don't eat much :)
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  19. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 24

Moooore desert

After a really nice AirBnB stay in a pretty neighborhood in Indio,CA we started earlier today at 8:10am, plan was to avoid the heat.
    20190814_082213.jpg
    It was 95° already, but better then over 100°

So we drove on i10 for a while to get to Joshua Tree National Park.
    20190814_084746.jpg
    Then rode the main road through the park. That was the first time seeing thoose endless long roads in the middle of the desert. Great!

Probably 10miles up the main road I felt pretty painful pain down on my right ankle. I had a bee trapped in my shoe before, but that didnt hurt as bad. So I stopped, and had a look. The pain was pretty though I thought it would have been something bigger than a bee. But in the end we removed the sting (or however you call that nasty thing at the back of a bee).
    20190814_090753.jpg
    I get along with bee stings quite good, so basically no pain at all anymore...time to hit the road again ;)
    20190814_091959.jpg
    After passing the Cholla Cactus Garden (just a quick stop, since there were warning signs "Caution Bees" everywhere), we continued to the Skull Rock. A big rock formation which look like a Skull (forgot to take a picture, time for you to start your own trip ;) ). Last stop planned in J-Tree Park was Keys View, a mountain which overlooks most of the Park.
    But we were stopped 5miles before arriving at the top:
    20190814_101552.jpg
    Little sign says: "Area closed due to Swarming Bee activity"

So we turned arround and rode to the Town called Joshua Tree. From there we took Hwy 62 east, got some fuel and then continued our way up north on Amboy Road,
    20190814_113640.jpg
    20190814_115423.jpg
    which (who would have thought) took us right into Amboy. Were we finally came to the Route 66.
    20190814_122031.jpg
    Parts of Route 66 were closed so we rode probably 20miles over Route 66, which really feels like u would absolutely live the american dream (insert american flag here).
    Also I had the feeling from time to time that I wouldn't move anymore. It would feel like u stare at a picture of the desert. And then at some point you see a curve a few miles ahead, and think....is that picture moving :hmmmmm. And then I realized again that I'm on a motorcycle going down Route 66 with 112,1° (new highscore). I'm living the dream!:velvt
    At some point we arrived at the closed part, took the detour over i40. After riding straight 80mph on i40 for 25miles we finally made 2 turns.
    :happay
    And we were on Hwy 95 taking us up north all the way into Vegas.
    Along the way the most exciting parts where probably little dips on the road and trains.
    20190814_121445.jpg
    Since the AirBnB, did not allow check in before 5pm. We cruised to costco to get some Gas first.

And then drove to our AirBnB....which is not really as expected. No real A/C just a Fan. Built more like a hostel, there are 2 bunk beds even in the open kitchen room.
    Its not sparkling clean and everything kinda feels/looks like it would need replacement or maintenance.
    But that's the risk u take....its pretty cheap tho.

Anyways time for us to rest ;) looking forward to the Grand Canyon tomorrow