Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since we are warm hearted germans, we have a bag of Costco Trailmix especially to share with Tarantulas, Scorpions or Rattle Snakes.
    Thanks for the welcome :freaky
    Zakko and Electrical like this.
  2. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To makes this clear. I was only making sure my tire would not overheat. And since my dad always needs a little longer taking pictures. I intended on cooling of the tire AND park at the same isnt that great?
    Can highly recommend this method if you have a buddy who can slightly push you out :imaposer
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pic of the stinger! (That's what you get for not protecting your ankles....)

Last time we were there we saw lots of bee signs,
    IMG_3269.jpg

but no bees (or at least I don't remember any bees). It was in December I think and CRAZY windy, so maybe the bees were off for the season or had just been blown somewhere else.

The cholla "forest" is a fun walk, and Jeremiah even convinced me to pick up a jumping cholla so he could touch it. Not a great idea in retrospect - despite my using the least amount of pressure possible the dang thing still stuck a few barbs into my palm - not fun!

IMG_3270.jpg

Did you try shifting to reverse?
    Zakko likes this.
  4. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! That's awesome the exact sign :)

Well I'm not gonna ask how you got convinced to pick up a cactus :jjen

I did not, but I'll keep that in mind for next time :muutt:lol2
    szurszewski and Zakko like this.
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    That's CA-36. It's about 140 miles from Red Bluff to where it meets US-101 on the coast. You probably missed the west end when you were doing the Lost Coast loop.

Gustavo
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  6. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Halftime of our trip is over and I have to say our dream is turning into reality and remains (is) a dream so to speak.

Riding a motorcycle addresses all your senses. Riding in the desert seems to enlarge and boost all of it. Thoughts are wandering, feelings develop further, plenty room for reflection as well as for healthful emptiness. While riding I feel connected to my son and yet kind of all by myself at the same time. No talking, no listening, just being.

Having a great time with my dearly beloved son @Nils K, riding our safe and reliable bikes, enjoying the overwhelming nature. It couldn’t be better.
    Lanis, Eatmore Mudd, Nixels and 6 others like this.
  7. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 25

Grand Canyon

After our little AirBnB adventure stay, which wasn't to bad. Not very clean, no AC but for one night overall doable.
    We started at 8am again. First stop was the Hoover Dam. Crazy how much water they are gathering there. Pretty nice thing to look at.
    20190815_085851.jpg
    From there we made our way down Hwy 93
    20190815_091508.jpg
    Probably an hour on Hwy 93 and we arrived in Kingsmen,AZ. Where we stopped at Mr D'z Route 66 Dinner. Pretty classic 66 style and great food!
    20190815_101950.jpg
    20190815_104320.jpg
    Against @Gustavo 's reccomendation we followed Route 66 instead of i40. Since we had time and read about a gravel road which goes into the canyon. So we were planning on doing that road (Route 6, from Peach Springs,AZ). So we arrived at the road, but a sign said we would need a permission, because its native tribal land. Unfortunately the sign also said no motorcycles :(, we were told later that to many people left the road and went all over.
    That was a little devastating, but hey! another reason to come back and rent a 4x4 Truck haha.
    We continued our way on Route 66 to Williams, AZ.
    20190815_124118.jpg
    The last 20miles to Williams were on i40, going down there I realized not only the temperature dropped to 92° also it started to get green again.
    20190815_132909.jpg
    Arrived in Williams we dropped of our bags in a motel and then, since it was only 2pm we headed to the Grand Canyon.

Arrived at the Grand Canyon, all I can say breathtaking.
    20190815_171659.jpg
    Unbelievable stunning view onto to so much history. Just great. We drove arround on the east site for a little bit, enjoyed the view and then took one of the shuttle buses to a hike on the east rim.

The hike took us down 200m in elevation to a viewpoint called Ooh Aah Point. Great views!
    20190815_185252.jpg
    20190815_184046.jpg
    After that we enjoyed the sunset and then drove back to Williams.
    20190815_191928.jpg
    Stay tuned! There is something big coming up tomorrow, its gonna be the most exciting day out of all these exciting days.
    Lanis, MadRider777, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's so great guys, congrats on making it to one of the 7 wonders - that's more than I've done and I've lived here all my life :lol3

Bummer about not being able to access that the park on that road, always pisses me off when the behavior of some ruin it for the majority (countless memories of idiotic street riders doing the same thing).

Those are fantastic pics from the canyon, what a cool place to have those memories from.

And nice job setting up the suspense for today @Nils K :D Looking forward to reading what's next!
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  9. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Guys, thanks for this great RR - a truly enjoyable writing and great pics. You just live what I'd like to do with my son... leave me lurkin' for the rest and - habt noch jede Menge Spass zusammen!
  10. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So great to read that people enjoy the RR :)
    Hope you are able to überzeug deinen Sohn.

Das ist das beste was ich je gemacht hab

Ride Safe :clap:dllama:
    Zakko likes this.
  11. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...okay, I'm home now and ready: go ahead and post the big whatever it is (thanks for waiting!)....

;)
    Zakko likes this.
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ja und bitte mach schnell! (Please hurry up!) haha!! Prosst!
  13. lgb

lgb lgb

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Great to read. Thanks for the ride along!
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh man - you must be typing a lot....to late for me (on three hours of sleep last night) - i'll have to read it (early) in the morning....
    Zakko and Nixels like this.
  15. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying the experiences that Europeans get, from the Western US.

Ride Safe!
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Nils and @Zakko
    Laura and Jeremiah just got back from a trip, and Laura asked how your trip was going. In scrolling through the thread to show her some pics I realized something:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and I think my good friend Johann might have some useful advice for you:

Nixels, Zakko and Nils K like this.
  17. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 26

...WOW! What an amazing day packed with adventures.

It was an early start today! Really early. The alarm woke us up at 5:55am. Basically still sleeping I started with brushing my teeth and packing my bags. 6:25am and we were all set on our motorcycles. A quick stop at the local gas station and again back up north on Hwy 64 to the Grand Canyon.
    But we didnt made it all the way to the Grand Canyon....we didnt even made it into the park.
    But we weren't even heading for the park. Our destination was the Grand Canyon National Park Airport! YES the germans are taking over the Canyon from above :gdog
    20190816_074956.jpg
    Cant even tell how awesome it was seeing this absolutely stunning fascinating big Canyon from above. So just some pictures :)
    20190816_082356.jpg
    20190816_082454.jpg
    After a 30min flight over the Canyon we landed back safely at the Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours HQ. Still totally overwhelmed by amazing feelings we went back to our bikes and decided to watch the IMAXX Film about the Grand Canyon.
    So 40min later we were watching the Movie, really interesting would highly recommend.
    From there we still hadn't enough of this magical Canyon. So we went on to visit some Viewpoints on the West Rim. Ended up spending probably another 2 hours there.
    20190816_111939.jpg

Since we started so early it was only 1pm at that time. So we decided to get the Horseshoe Bend in today aswell. So we started driving Hwy 64 east out of the Canyon National Park,
    20190816_130424.jpg
    Wildlife wuhuuu

then up Hwy 89 North all the way to the Horseshoe Bend.
    20190816_135621.jpg 20190816_162239.jpg

After a 1,5Mile one way hike to the viewpoint of the Horseshoe Bend, we had a decent vision of the massive Horseshoe, circled by water.
    20190816_162550.jpg

From there the next stop was the Navajo National Monument. We took Hwy 98, 40miles south. To then take Road 221...google maps was leading us that way. The beginning looked quit nice...nice hard gravel and even some more half wildlife :)
    20190816_191453.jpg

But then the road turned into an dream vacation Beach. Extremely soft light deep sand.
    My dad started to dream about laying at the beach, reading his favorite book. His bike probably started to dream about a nice road with decent pavement. Well anyways both of them got so distracted that they decided to lay down.
    20190816_192027.jpg

Limit of 10 pictures is reached continued in the next post
    liv2day, BigDogRaven, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  18. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:

From there the next adventure started. 6miles of this nasty sand. But instead of turning arround we took the opportunity took us about 1 hour of fighting against the sand....the natives that past by in cars were pretty amused :rofl
    20190816_193118.jpg 20190816_200827.jpg
    (About every 2miles there were spots with less sand, time to stop, drink something and calm down the breath :bow:drink)

Probably 3miles in we switched bikes, even tho my bike has basically no tire tread left is has a Rekluse clutch! Thank God. Since the Big GS has only street tires it was just way easier to drive my F800GS.
    20190816_194357.jpg

After switching bikes it happened to me too. I was going done the road, more drifting or surfing on sand then anything else. I fell. Well I started to wiggle to hard and then stopped the bike, it was to heavy to hold it since it was kinda turned sideways. So I slowly dropped it into the sand....my dad with the 800GS was way ahead. So no picture of that :D
    I hopped off the bike, got the bike back up and continued the ride.
    While we were fighting our way through the sand, the sun decided to call it a day. After at least 1 hour of enjoying or fighting (still not sure) through the sand we arrived at the Navajo National Monument. Which was recommended by @Gustavo.
    But we couldn't find anything...it was getting a little dark (8pm). A few trails where closed. We ended up not finding anything. So we decided to just keep driving since we still had to make it to Mexican Hat,UT.
    If anyone has pictures of the Navajo National Monument please post them here!! So curious what we missed.
    Even thought we didnt saw anything at our destination, the sandy road was adventure enough so thanks @Gustavo :)
    Best thing about the Monument tho was we had pavement again :jack
    Going down Hwy 564 from the Monument was a pretty decent ride, still with the sunset in company.

And then behind a curve more wildlife, or native property? Who knows. But my mom (and I now you are reading this. Hi Mum:wings) would have freaked out.
    20190816_202812.jpg
    (She loves horses)

Finally arrived at the junction to Hwy 160, still 60miles to go. It was probably arround 8:30pm by that time, so it was getting dark.
    We continued our way to Hwy 163.
    Unfortunately it was completely dark at that point so we rode through Oljato-Monument Valley with seeing nothing.

But you cant have it all :permazot

At 10pm we finally arrived at our motel in Mexican Hat,UT.
    After a quick Hamburger Dinner at the Motel Restaurant (normally closes at 10), we finished the day with a beer! :freaky

This is the end of another great day :)

....the wifi in this motel is horrible. And my mobile data coverage isn't the best either. So I'll wait for another half an hour to upload the pictures. Otherwise this post will be posted tomorrow. Soory for the delay :snore

Edit: its 3:30pm of the next day. I waited 1 hour for all the pictures to upload. And then the connection got even worse...at 12:45am I stopped trying.

Day report from today will follow today :)
  19. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soory that you just stayed up so long for nothing...but that just worked perfectly to keep the suspense high ;)
    szurszewski, Nixels and Zakko like this.
  20. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha...just provided another picture for your collection, in my last Day RR :imaposer
    szurszewski, Nixels and Zakko like this.