Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just incredible!! Love all of it. Sure hope you plan to stop by 3 step hideaway in Lasal area and at least say hello to Scott and Julie. Heck they could probably hook you up with a nice cabin. Well worth it!! Prosst!
    EDIT: Es ist echt toll!! Du musst da hin gehen!!
    Zakko likes this.
  2. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh noo!! We missed it :(. We are leaving Moab north, tomorrow.
    Zakko likes this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Bummer...stay another day!
  4. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! @szurszewski, I didn’t know that Falko made it over the Atlantic to you. :roflThanks for reminding me.

And what a nice collection of fails :bash

This sand strip was more challenging than it looks. Even though I haven’t learned to go on deeper sand I can say that the GS with road tires is way more difficult than the F800 on dual sport tires.

At the end it was an exhausting and yet exciting experience to tackle a challenge together. Turning back would have been safe but never was an option; continuing was the adventure with uncertain ending. Only by taking on the latter we could share the relief and proud together. What an experience!
    Drybones and Nixels like this.
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Oh, noooooo....... :muutt

Can't let you kids go anywhere unsupervised... :cromag

:lol3

Bummer you missed both the Navajo Monument and seeing Monument Valley. Hope the ride to Moab was less dramatic. :ricky

Gustavo
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  6. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well we still have to get back to seattle by the 27th.
    But that's a reason to come back :clap
    Zakko and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  7. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Maybe let us know your next couple days destinations so we can know where you are headed? Unless I missed it somewhere? I am in Tacoma so a good round of “schwetza” would be cool if possible! Safe travels!
    EDIT: your route?
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  8. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 27

New Tires

After sleeping in the San Juan Inn Motel in Mexican Hat, UT we started at 8:30am. Rode the 261 North up. Beautiful road especially in the morning with a great light. After roughly 15miles the road kinda looked like it would go right into a wall of Rocks.
    But there was a sign giving hope!
    20190817_085621.jpg

And after driving up this beautiful pavement/gravel mix road we were all the way on top of these big Rocks in the background.
    20190817_090436.jpg
    (This spot is called Moki Dugway, gives you a perfect overview)

From there our next destination was the Natural Bridge Park. Another reccomendation by the master of the roads (@Gustavo). We drove the loop and looked at a few Natural Bridges. Quite fascinating how all of this formed it's way over hundreds of years.
    20190817_101702.jpg

Since I had an appointment ad Mad Bros Motorsports in Moab,UT to get my tire changed we took off to ride the 95East and then Hwy 191 to Moab. 20190817_122739.jpg

Since my tire change was scheduled for 1pm, we had no time to visit the Big Spring Canyon Overlook. At 12:45pm we arrived in Moab at Mad Bros Motorsports, I was looking forward to finally get new tires.
    But after talking to the guy inside, the situation turned a little. The mechanic called in sick, so they had no one to change my tires. I was told that there is another shop called Arrowhead Motorsports in town. Since it was a Saturday we made sure to get to this other shop asap.
    Arrived at the shop it more likely looked like a normal house with a big garage in the back. But there was a sign saying Arrowhead Motorsports.
    So we drove on the pavement and tried to find someone.
    Nothing
    Realized that the house door was opened a little, since we are still in America and I dont wanna get shot, I slowly approached the door knocked and stepped back.
    Nothing
    I heard a TV running so I was sure someone was home. Another knock and loud screaming if someone was home didnt helped either.
    So I called the number which I found on google.
    I heard a phone ringing inside. But no one answered.
    So I tried again "Helloooo someone Home??"

I finally heard steps. An older man, pretty big opened the inside door a little more.
    "What can I do for you?"

I need new tires.
    "Aha"
    "Let me get my shoes"

He was clearly not really happy about this after hour thing.
    But he did came out and had new tires for my bike.
    Metzler Tourance
    We brought the bike over to his shop, right behind his home and he started with the front tire.
    20190817_132821.jpg
    20190817_132837.jpg

His mood changed after we got into a conversation. Really interesting character. Also even if his shop wasn't looking like a german garage, he still had all the tools you need.
    They were a little older but that was so interesting, for example this is how he balanced the tires.
    20190817_134422.jpg
    By hand just by a Water Bubble indicator.

After probably 1,5hours I had new tires and 600$ less money in my pocket. :knary
    But I really needed new ones
    20190817_140155.jpg

It was 3pm now. We stopped at our AirBnB for tonight and dropped off our staff. After a nice self made spaghetti dinner we decided to follow another of @Gustavo 's tips. So we drove up the Arches Scenic Drive. Which goes straight through the Arches National Park.
    Really scenic road
    20190817_192432.jpg 20190817_195600.jpg

We catched the sunset in the Park and then drove back to our home for tonight :)
    BigDogRaven, NSFW and Zakko like this.
  9. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I dont wanna spoiler the future RR to much.
    But we are heading West from Moab to Vegas.
    In 3 days to check out Bryce, Zion Canyon and the North Rim of Grand Canyon.

From Vegas we will drive back to San Francisco.
    And then from there back to seattle. Haven't really planned how to get back from San Francisco to Seattle, since we would like to go through the Sierra instead of going up the coast.
    Zakko likes this.
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Is that Fred? haven't seen or heard from him in ages (he is a KLR guru, was very active on the KLR forums when I had one mumble, mumble years ago... :gerg).

Gustavo
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  11. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're planning to go through Joshua Tree again, about 60 miles from Vegas, you will find Primm Nevada. At Primm, you can take 15 to Nipton Rd then Ivanpah Rd to Morning Star Mine Rd. to Kelso Cima Rd. to Kelbaker Rd. to Amboy (you were in this area when you chose to take Route 66) to Amboy Rd. From there, you'll end up in 29 Palms and can head north via a route of your choosing. From there, it would be fun to head north on 395 and do a few of the Sierra Passes.
    Zakko likes this.
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Oh boy!! Back towards San Fran...boy if you had a bit of time you could ride Mines road out of Livermore towards “the Junction” then west to the “Lick observatory” . One of the most awesome roads. Switchbacks at Lick are incredible! And the view! 7BB5ED5B-D1CD-4CAA-A0AF-8EB9233491EF.jpeg D6F0D7BC-62E7-4046-8FD1-4FA8EDADE7E0.jpeg just a thought!!
    BigDogRaven, Nils K and Zakko like this.
  13. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats looks incredible and is actually kind of one the way!
    Would it be the same fun doing it backwards?
    From the observatory to the junction and then to Livermore?
    Zakko likes this.
  14. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!! Either direction!! You can stop for food at “the Junction” then north on “Mines rd”. Pretty famous road for sure for bikes and sports cars. Dont miss it if you have time!!
  15. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, @Gustavo, it’s the KLR Fred. @Nils K and he started real talking when they found that they play or played the same online games, such as farming simulator - almost 50 years difference in age and all excited about the new John Deere combine in the 2019 version which @Nils K had driven in real during his farm work in Canada. What fun to see their fascination!
    Drybones and Nils K like this.
  16. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    During this trip again and again 2 things come to my mind why this country is so amazing. First, its geographical dimensions are enormous for a common European. Second, the breath taking beauty of its nature is continuously overwhelming :norton
    Drybones, shuckinator and wilddoktor like this.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    I would agree and lots of times we who live here dont realize how sweet places can be. Ride reports really open our eyes to alot of places. Now with saying that I must also say Europe has places of stunning beauty too having lived there but lately seeing ride reports from people like @franken and others. Beauty is everywhere and all of us bring it out! Cheers!!
  18. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you haven't gone through Death Valley. I noticed earlier you were enjoying warm temperatures. Well, there's everywhere else, and there's Death Valley. I've heard people from Europe come over to "experience" the heat of Death Valley. (Next Thursday is expected 118!)
    Zakko likes this.
  19. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Yep Mt Hamilton is fun, here is a video I made of the ride to Lick Observatory from San Jose. Road continues to The Junction at Mines Rd. Good lunch spot.

20. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We both thought about doing it, only reason we didnt was that the we did the joshua tree park, and where to far south of death valley on the way to vegas.
    Maybe on the way back ;)