Dad and Son down the Westcoast (from Germany)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nils K, Jul 26, 2019.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you’re having a great time in Vegas - just like you’re having everywhere else ;)

Be careful on your way back to the coast - the man is looking for you!

DAE3E71A-272A-4E69-B571-AE14A2D200EC.jpeg
    Nixels, Zakko, Nils K and 2 others like this.
  2. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 31

Picked up the Big GS this morning with new front tire/brake, new back tire/brake, oil change and the a whole 12k miles service.
    From there we rode to Gustavos Work Place, which is the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System close to Vegas. He invited us on a tour guided by himself. Great ! So interesting.
    20190821_125020.jpg

Thanks again Gustavo :)

We left at 1:30pm toward Mono Lake, we had about 380miles and a crossing through Death Valley in front of us.
    2pm 108° i15

2:30pm 107° Hwy 127 North

3:40pm 112°
    Entered the Death Valley National Park

4:20pm 117,5° (47,5°C) Stopped in Furnace Creek to fuel up (cheapest fuel in and arround Death Valley) and got some cold water in the Ranch at Death Valley (awesome place!)

Short after we stopped at the Sand Dunes for a couple of minutes
    20190821_170249.jpg

5:30pm 113° Hwy 190 West

6:20pm 92° Hwy 395 North at Lone Pine,CA

7:45pm 79° still Hwy 395

8:30pm 76° arrived at our AirBnb in Mammoth Lakes.

We rode a total of 411 miles today and rode in pretty hot conditions. At the end it got almost cold, with a difference of 44,5°.crazy!! But we saw more then 10 other bikers while going through the Valley. I bet they were all germans or just crazy :rofl
  3. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    This is so cool to read about.

I haven’t sweated once while reading! :lol3

You guys lead a charmed life & it’s enjoyable to be following along. :thumb
    Zakko and Nils K like this.
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It was a great pleasure to meet you guys and share dinner with you. :beer

Glad to hear you survived the odyssey across Death Valley. Safe travels to cooler climates. :ricky

Gustavo
    Nixels, Zakko and Nils K like this.
  5. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tour @Gustavo. It was a great pleasure meeting you and learning about your power by sun technology. Talking about temperature:
    7A91E9FD-F9E4-40D8-A6D8-E2278E250D69.jpeg

And I wanted so badly feel how it’s like to be grilled at 120°F (48,9°C) :dutch
  6. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 32

Rest day

We are doing another 400mile trip tomorrow so today was a day to do the sleep in, do the laundry and relax :)

Also time to clean the helmets...
    20190822_115314.jpg

We did drove to Bodie State Historic Park.
    Pretty cool place, it's a abandoned city where they were looking for Gold. It's in decent shape and u really get into the gold rush and wild west feeling while you there.
    20190822_135001.jpg

Even tho there is no one living arround, the Ghost Cowboys still make sure it's all safe!
    20190822_142044.jpg

Since we did not find any gold we decided to leave, just like everyone else before. We then tried our luck at the Mono Lake. Nice view!
    20190822_161418.jpg but no gold.

So back home.
    B10Dave, Zakko, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  7. michaeljohnbryant

michaeljohnbryant n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic adventures! I've enjoyed scrolling through the whole story in one go...you've done a great job on this blog. Thanks for letting us share in your trip. I'm very inspired to get my R1200GS back down South from here on Vancouver Island (off Canada's West Coast), but I'd do it in a tent! Best of luck on the rest of your journey ... I will continue to follow you. Meanwhile, Im off for some local camping...
    20190712_133920.jpg
  8. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is great - i'm in for the remainder :lurk
    Nils K and Zakko like this.
  9. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since your so close, I hope you have time to take a run up hwy 108 at least to the summit.
    Nixels and Zakko like this.
  10. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing that lake on our drive down to Death Valley in May, pretty cool spot and features.

Can't believe you guys rode through 118 degree temps, that's just nuts. I bet it felt great to climb in elevation and get out of that heat. Death Valley is a really cool place, but not in the temperature sense :lol3

Great set of updates @Nils K! So cool to see the pics and know you guys are out there having a good time. And you better pay your toll fee...LOL.

Keep the sticky side down guys, hope your journey north continues to be amazing :thumb
    Nixels, Nils K and Zakko like this.
  11. Zakko

Zakko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx @michaeljohnbryant. That is a nice looking GS. It’s gonna save you quite a bit and adding to adventure when going South. Do you have a time for it yet?
  12. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 33

Another 400miles day.

Started early in Mono Lake at 6:30am.
    Drove straight to the Glacier Point the Yosemite National Park. It was bizarre, two days ago we were in the death valley with 117,5°, now we were on the way to the Yosemite with 41,5° :nod

First stop was the Glacier Point
    20190823_093208.jpg

From there we continued our way to Licks Observatory. On Hwy 120 -> Hwy 140 -> Hwy 99 and then down Main Street from Turlock to Patterson.
    20190823_135412.jpg

This way we ended up straight on Hwy 130.
    20190823_135919.jpg

Which took us through the Sierras Mountains. Beautiful road! All the way up to Licks Observatory.
    20190823_150631.jpg
    20190823_153505.jpg 20190823_153150.jpg
    20190823_153410.jpg

After we enjoyed all these curves and turns on the way up and had enough of the view we rode the same road back to The Junction. Had a quick refreshing water then and then drove to Berkeley on Mines Road. Another beautiful narrow road.

Thanks to @Oldschoolrocker for the reccomendation!!
  13. chriskep1

chriskep1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in Sacramento. SO cool to see someone else enjoying all the same sights I've been going to for years. California really does have a lot to see.
  14. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 34

Hwy 101

Today we basically just rode Hwy 101 all the way from San Francisco to Crescent City where we are now staying for the night.

Luckily especially up here hwy 101 has a few curves and only two lanes. In the beginning it was pretty straight...it was nice to see the ocean again at some point. Which also ment it was getting colder and colder :D
    We also saw a huge herd of caribous in the middle of a town :)

20190824_183242.jpg 20190824_175019.jpg 20190824_151212.jpg

Really good news for tomorrow...Josh (@szurszewski)is joining us again on our way back :clap
    Nixels, B10Dave and Zakko like this.
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and I'm bringing ungulate flashcards because I got lost in your explanation of the translation of quadrupeds last time, so I think I need to hear it again.

In English, those things are elk - caribou look like this:

[​IMG]

...not as big, larger racks (ladies too!) and usually white neck fur vs brown for elk.
    Nixels, B10Dave, Zakko and 1 other person like this.
  16. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Okay well this whole Elk, Moose, Caribou thing confuses me...its always the opposite in Germany :lol2
    Nixels and Zakko like this.
  17. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice @Nils K! After enduring the heat of Death Valley and the CA desert, I bet it was a welcome relief to get back to the coast and see the Pacific again. Great weather as you moved north too, glad it wasn't all fogged in and you were able to enjoy the views.

And LOL to the comment about the caribou. Regardless, always neat to see animals like that - as long as they're not crossing the road in front of you. Lots of herds of elk on the Oregon coast - it's neat to see them hanging about when I get out that way.

Safe travels as you make your way north, keep the sticky side down guys :thumb
    Nixels, Nils K and Zakko like this.
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m going to meet up with them in about an hour and I’m sure they will be half frozen! I’ve been acclimation slowly to the end of the warm days here in the PNW and yet I’m still almost cold (with a thermal shirt and nanopuff jacket under my riding jacket...). It’s 68F in Newport, but it’s windy and the breeze off the water sure has a chill.
    Nixels, B10Dave, Nils K and 2 others like this.
  19. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Good to see you guys are making progress along the coast and are going to get a guided tour too! :ricky

Funny, I spent last weekend (before we met in Las Vegas) in Crescent City, hiking in the Redwoods.

Gustavo
  20. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 35

The last full day of our tour!

And again basically stayed on 101 for the whole day from Crescent City to Yachats,OR where we meet Josh :clap

We had a nice lunch/dinner together and then rode up to Newport where we are staying for the night :)

I dont even have a picture from today :dunno