Dad & Inexperienced Daughter Ride Ideas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RideN, Dec 18, 2020.

1. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bike? Where?

My daughter JUST told me she wants to go on a ride with me when she graduates college summer 2022. She has ridden an ATV (but takes it easy). Trying to live vicariously through my daughters, I bought them a crf 80 a few years back and there was very little interest. Although I will say my daughter rode it and also drives a stick shift car. She is not a risk taker and has very little experience. We live in VA.

1) since she is so inexperienced I think a small bike is best. Maybe an XT 250?
    2) back roads without too much difficulty, blind spots, etc.

I don’t want to over do it, so maybe 1 week, 2 max.

My 2 thoughts both involve trailering the bikes:
    1) do a couple states worth of the continental divide trail (which ones are best).
    2) ride dirt roads on the upper peninsula of MI.

Which would be best, how to plan it, other options?
    ahung12 and Traxx like this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Does she have her M endorsement?
    If so, BRP south MABDR north
    Glenn247 and Traxx like this.
  3. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    a week? i think your dreamin, dad....try a weekend first, imho

(not a neg. Nancy, just don't want you to over do it and turn her off...)
    kantuckid, olderigetfasteriam and Cal like this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like she has 2 years to get experience, and her endorsement. Get her on the 80 for practice, then let her pick the bike when she is comfy with everything.
    Maybe do some weekend rides before taking that 1 or 2 week ride. Get her used the camping or how ever ya’ll plan on sleeping. Get the simple stuff sorted out first on short trips.
    Ya’ll have 2 years and really there is no excuse not to be prepared for that trip. Besides looks like a lot of good Daddy Daughter time can be had getting ready.
    Maggot12, radmann10, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  5. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone told me I was dreaming when I took my 3 girls tent camping for 5 1/2 weeks and 12,500 miles, but we had a blast. Told me I was dreaming when I rode my MC to CA in January, but had a blast.
    You are right, I am dreaming. That’s how adventures start. Yes, she’ll take a class, we’ll ride some and plan from now until 2022, but I am serious. And the important part is, so is she. Things could change, but this is the direction we are headed.
  6. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. That’s the plan. Except the 80 is gone. Going to get another small bike to practice, have her take a rider safety course and get her license... then we can take short day excursions and work our way up from there.
    Any ideas where to go? Bike?
    Traxx likes this.
  7. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP is Blue Ridge Parkway, but what is MABDR? Edit. Just looked it up. Definately on the list of possibilities.
  8. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Used ninja, rebel, crf250l or equivalent to learn on and if it gets dropped no biggy.
    RideN likes this.
  9. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hadn’t thought of the rebel, good idea. My buddy said a ninja 500 is easier to ride than a 250. Says you have more low end torque for start offs and slow turn maneuvers. Think that’s true?
    radmann10 and Traxx like this.
  10. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Don’t know, I was thinking light weight and low power and cheap. Really it is what she will be comfortable with or maybe even if its cute or not. Who knows the way Women think.
    AwDang and RideN like this.
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Maybe even a grom or monkey would be enough to make her laugh when riding.
    dp064 likes this.
  12. 056rider

056rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see you’re in or near NOVA. I have a wr250 for sale in good shape you’re welcome to see how it would fit the rider. It’s a great bike, not excessive in power. I’ve found it to be very forgiving. Plus endless customization options.
    radmann10 likes this.
  13. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Women are hard to read and my daughter is the hardest. One thing she is though is practical, super practical, to a fault. If can convince her it’s the cheapest utilitarian bang for the buck, it’ll be a great fit.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent
    056rider likes this.
  15. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not forget the dirt and get a 300cc class scooter? Ride Skyline and the BRP to the Smokey's and back. Or return via TN & WV.

And there are tens of thousands of miles worth of very low traffic roads here in Virginia. Think apple and wine country. Great for learning how to ride.

BTW, do you have the map of scenic Virginia back roads? Get one at any info station in VA. In fact get two. The green roads are top notch MC roads and the dark green are pretty nice connectors.

Riding a dirt pass at 11,000' is serious business. With exertion comes altitude sickness or just overall weakness which causes mistakes. It takes time to adjust and time to learn dirt skills.
    Chirosyd likes this.
  16. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have camped all over Virginia, parts of WV, TN... some of the most scenic places out there. But with those curvy, hilly little roads comes lots of blind entries/hill crests/curves. I was thinking big country might actually be safer. I rode out west and it seemed like when you got away from the cities there were less cars than out here and definitely less driveways for people to pull in front of you.
    knight and dp064 like this.
  17. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My daughter got a Vespa when she graduated from college.. I wanted to get a small bike with the intention of riding with her. I hadn't ridden for 30 years. We took an MSF course together and had a blast. I bought a small bike, a CSC SG250, but before we could do our first ride, her Vespa was stolen. I rode that bike (still do) but bought a larger one as well. Something like the SG may work for her.. low seat height, low CG, easy to maintain and a lot of fun. ..not an off road bike, but dependable and a great backroad cruiser with a high 50s, low 60s top speed. I have about 3500 miles on mine now.
    Don
    RideN likes this.
  18. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think it might be easier to stay on paved roads for a inexperienced rider than trying to tackle dirt or anything off road. Lots of good starter bikes in the 300-400cc range that she should be able to handle and won't bust your budget. If you're in VA there's Sky Line Drive and Blue Ridge parkway that you can ride for a few days down and then back home. Not really hard to get gas or find lodging just off the parkway, speed limit is between 35 and 45, lots of great scenery, if you ride during the week not a lot of traffic, enough curves to make the ride interesting and lots of nice roads off the parkway like the Snake, Back of the dragon to name a few.
    dp064 likes this.
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    RideN likes this.
  20. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't listen to Negative Nancy's. I think you covered that in post #5 but I thought I'd reinforce that. You know what you and your daughter are capable of doing.

While skiing this weekend at Snowshoe (19/20Dec20) when my son and I checked into the hotel, I saw a "Motorcycle Touring Map", one of those free maps with lots of adverts. What the heck I took one with me.

It is a fantastic map. West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, S.E. Ohio, N Tennessee. I'll be using this map this summer to base some weekend rides with.

You could easily stitch a week or two together in these areas along with memorable things to do along the way. The cool thing is some of the TAT is encompassed in the areas covered by the map and lots of unpaved roads to explore.

freemanmaps.com

When my wife and I were dating, I planned out a Rough and Lux Tour in AZ. We'd camp a night, then a nice hotel/resort for a night back and forth. It was great fun and we had the best of both worlds; Campfire cooking and spas!

Have fun.

Oh, and let her pick the bike.