Dad & Inexperienced Daughter Ride Ideas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RideN, Dec 18, 2020.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lot changes in two years at that age. In covid times I've got a serious wanderlust too, maybe thats whats driving her? No, I'm not a negative nancy whatever the hell that is. Plus the dirt vs. paved road aspect. My 3 adult sons all ride bicycles, two very seriously but not one cares one whit about MC's even though I've ridden them for over 50 years. Sure, I'd allow her to explore the thought but only after via a trained riding prep does one begin to plan where to ride or what type of riding on whatever machine. Some of the above talk is quite pre-mature, not that we all don't like to dream a bit...
    Rips Millar likes this.
  2. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, not true. I own both and like cc's say , half the power is half the mistakes at take off. The ninja 250 is slow at the start, meaning it requires more heavy handedness, which is typical of new riders . Making high speed take offs difficult. As for low end toque and slow speed between the two, well you would have to be experienced to actually tell the difference and would have to be capable of getting into tight turns, both of which a new rider doesn't have and is not capable of yet. As for riding, the 250 and 500 are the same at 65mph. Imo a 250,providing it's in great shape is a far better bike all around. The 500 is, imo a generic city commuter. Most jump from the 250 to 650. The very reason why you don't see a lot 500's.
    As for jumping right in, something I'm familiar with in my home. The answer is dream big because every walk, ride or endeavor can be stopped at any time. My craziest endeavour was to convince my eight year old to walk across three states on a three week adventure with me. The things we saw, the people we met, the shit we put are selves through are still topics of conversations, school reports, college applications and loads of laughs, even eleven years later.
    AwDang, RideN and dp064 like this.
  3. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 6 motorcycles, the latest a V9 Moto Guzzi Bobber followed me home 2-3 weeks ago. The wifey when she came home and saw it said "now that is what a motorcycle should look like". That is not the response I expected but I will take it!

She may be your little girl, but she is also a woman and you can't account for their tastes. Yes, let her see a few different bikes, set on them, picture herself riding them. When she is invested in the decision and the learning process most of your work is done, you can try to guide the purchase/bike selection but go easy. Remember the bike is for her.
    AwDang and RideN like this.
  4. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live 35 min from skyline drive. I love that road for about 10 min, then it is so boring going 35mph (with a line of traffic sometimes in summer). But it’s not about me, so maybe. I think she wants to get away too. Sometimes the best things are close to home and we just don’t realize it, but traveling to other places has a special meaning too.
    AwDang likes this.
  5. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She is fickle, like me. What a decision for either/both of us. What a great “dilemma.”
  6. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are at the premature dreaming stage. She has ridden a crf 80 around out 3 acre yard. She could stop on a slope and start again, feather the clutch somewhat weaving in and out of a row of about 20 trees we have that are about 10’ apart. We also have 60 acres of woods with a trail of sorts we can access behind our property (but she has never ridden on because it was too difficult back then). It has some pretty steep hills, etc. I was thinking of starting her off with a small bike like a 125 or 150. She doesn’t have time to take the MC safety course until summer anyway. She is in college and comes home about 1 weekend/month.
  7. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8E6D06EB-EA27-44E1-864C-FFAB851A490A.jpeg
    We did pick up this like new helmet that fits her perfectly on marketplace for $30. She was happy and I was happy. She doesn’t care at all if she doesn’t match with whatever comes next. She was happy and I was happy.
  8. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree Skyline Drive can be boring at 35 mph especially if you get stuck behind slow moving traffic but what's boring to you might just be perfect for her plus there are plenty of pull-offs to stop and take in the scenery. I rode Skyline Drive in September during the week and it wasn't that bad, most of the way I was able to keep my speed at about 45 - 50 mph. I wouldn't bother trying to ride it during the summer when all the tourists are out :-( Blue Ridge Parkway is a bit better with the speed limit set at 45 mph. Whatever you decide have fun and ride safe.
    RideN likes this.
  9. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skyline might be part of our training and good memories if we never get to the “big” ride. But she wants to go in August of 2022. She has college and a nursing exam and then is free. So that’s the tentative plan. Who knows, maybe she’ll meet a guy and get married or want to go somewhere with friends and the trip will be scrapped. But planning and prep should be fun and a good bonding experience. I can imagine the first time she goes up 211 to get to skyline. She’ll probably be in 1st gear the whole way... lol. Part of the experience. Suppose I should invest in a Sena or some way to communicate with her while riding.
    dp064 likes this.
  10. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well August 2022 is a long way off so you have plenty of time to plan. I started doing long trips in 2018 and I really have fun planning my trips, figuring out destinations, routes, points of interest, places to stay and eat are all things I enjoy as part of the planning process.
    RideN likes this.
  11. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    First bike, inexperience rider?
    Go as light and inexpensive as you can find on CraigsList or similar that she can flat foot. After a year of riding (and dropping!) you'll both know more about what works and doesn't work for her then you can dial in on "a keeper" bike. Personal opinion (value <$.02) a used Honda 250 Rebel as a "disposable" starter bike. Let her learn and yearn for more power, not be nervous about what the bike will do WFO.
    Ride the Skyline Dr and Blue Ridge Parkway a few times to gain some experience without too many lunatics around. Check out the fantastic VA State Parks and ride to some small towns like Floyd for street music.
    Seneca Scenic Highway is nice. Lots of web sites devoted to scenic rides in our region, check out Appalachianbackroads.com for a starter.
    A friend has told me more than once the best memory he has is when his daughter and he spent the summer together working on a project.
    RideN likes this.
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    To answer your questions.
    Where? You live near motorcycle heaven so just start from there and head to somewhere else you'd like to see. She's young so appears she has not traveled much, so there's a lot to see in this country. I've ridden in all 50 states and really can't recommend any place, there are just so many.
    Bike? 250ish enduro/dualsport. It will run any kind of road and be light. XT250, WR250R, CRF250L, KLX250, DRZ400, DR650, if no off pavement then a Versys 300.

Unasked for advise. ASAP get her in a class and get her a license. Then get a bike, send it to college with her so she can get as much time on it as posable before graduation.
    RideN likes this.
  13. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the first post the answer seemed pretty straightforward to me: XT250 (high build quality, decent power, lowest seat height) and then the MABDR (awesome route that gives you a sense of adventure, but you're never more than an hour from a hotel/pavement/U-haul if folks aren't having fun anymore).

As you well know I'm sure, the biggest danger to life/limb for inexperienced riders is traffic, cars, etc. The MABDR categorically avoids those dangers and offers you a route you can really ride at your own pace. I think putting a young rider on a Versys 300 or similar and plopping them on the Blue Ridge Parkway is unwise in comparison. I'll take loss of traction due to dirt at 25 mph on a forest road vice panic steer into a culvert at 40 mph due to inexperience any day of the week for my own daughter, or son for that matter.
    4PawsHacienda and RideN like this.
  14. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've taught my kids to ride at a young age, as well as other parents kids.
    The one piece of sage advice I can throw in for your daughter, or any rider, no matter what their age is this:
    Having the mindset that you are invisible to all other traffic on the highway, will save your ass more than once. I can attest to that fact many times over.
    For some unexplained physiological reason, drivers of automobiles have a blind spot that doesn't see us on two wheels.
    Make eye contact with others. Wait a few seconds before pulling away at a green light. Look left before looking right before pulling away at a green light.
    Anyways, there's lots of info out there about this subject.
    It's an ultimate thrill to have your daughter or son want to ride with you. My son who's now 50, still rides with me (or I should say, I ride with him) several times a year... Our best times are in Baja!
    RideN likes this.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Good idea. A 150-ish dual sport bike will be easy to ride. Depending on the type of roads you travel, that might be enough. If you plan any highway miles, she might need something around 350-400cc. Scooters can be good. Maybe even a Ducati Scrambler 400. Yamaha makes an FZ-07 that's pretty easy to ride, but that's probably bike number 2 or 3.
  16. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don’t think I would want to be on a long trip with a 150 tagging along. IMO at least a 200-250cc. I was just thinking that if I saw a cheap, small, dirt bike, she could practice on that for a little while before she takes a class and gets her license. It seems like dirt bikes/ dual sports are in short supply and are over priced right now. Maybe just winter or maybe covid?
  17. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know. I hate to be one of the naysayers because that is not really my personality, but I would be worried about the safety of your daughter. Are you sure motorcycles are a good path to be steering her down? I understand if it was her goal or dream but that does not really seem like the case.

If it was your son, I would say no problem, but I've seen some girls get forced to live out their dad's dream. I guess I'm just worried about how one moment of inattention could be fatal.
    RideN likes this.
  18. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s why I originally got rid of the crf 80 (lack of interest). This was actually her idea out of the blue. That being said, I would feel more comfortable on dirt fire roads. We’ll see.
    dp064 likes this.
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    A Suzuki DR200 or Yamaha TW200 are ideal practice bikes. Bought used, you'll almost certainly get nearly all your money back when you sell.

As far as safety...MOTORCYCLES ARE DANGEROUS! That said, girl or boy isn't the deciding factor. Both have the potential to be poorly suited to riding. It's a personality thing. The rider must be focused, and extremely aware of their surroundings. You can usually tell if this isn't the case. Another good way to determine is the Basic Rider Course. They will (or should) fail someone not suited to riding. I encouraged my wife to take the course as an alternative to the riding test at the DMV (an option in my state). I figured it would be better if those folks were mean to her than me. She passed with flying colors, learning as much in 2 weekends as I did in 5 or more years on the road.
    RideN and wildknits like this.
  20. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my wife a DR200, probably the perfect bike to learn on.
    RideN likes this.