Dad & Inexperienced Daughter Ride Ideas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RideN, Dec 18, 2020.

1. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    Have to chime in here, agree for the most part with keeping it small and easy to operate. That being said is she will play a huge part is enjoying what she is riding. My Wife being a new rider (indicated it was the only way to spend time with me) absolutely did not want a low slung Harley. She wanted a duel sport adv bike. "well honey, being 5'2" it limits your options" "Dont tell me what I want and can ride" ok ok ok. As I was in the market as well, we set some ground rules. Im a big proponent in riding similar bikes since road issues/ repairs can be very similar; often times with interchangable parts. Given the height differential co-efficient and that most bikes even with after market bones cant get low enough for my riding partner we went with a factory lowered BMW 700gs, then shaved the seat. I bought the 800 adv model. She can sit the bike flat footed. Growing up riding big dirt bikes, I did not understand how comforting it is to touch flat footed. I would make a plug now for both of you to ride DR650s if possible. Those thumpers can be raised/lowered to fit any rider and again operate the same. Actually looking at purchasing another and lowering for her for the trail trips.

Insist on a riders course, let her ride for 6 months and take the advanced course. As all have indicated, only saddle time will make her truly worthy. She will make mistakes, she will scare the living crap out of you. Wifey been riding for 3 years now and finally Im not on edge everytime she jumps on. Armour the bike, ATTGAT her up. I have picked up that damn 700 hundreds of times from low/no speed naps. Whatever bike, get her some unloaded miles on it before loading. Hopefully she will enjoy it enough to keep riding.

The bottom line is however you do it, MAKE it happen; the older they get the less and less amount of time they will have to spend with you...... If you want a yellowstone/glacier adventure; hit us up.
    RideN likes this.
  2. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was thinking a 650 would be too big, but maybe if I can try one that is lowered, I could get a better idea. Mobius advendture rode lowered dr400 with his wife and where I left off reading a few years ago, he said their next bikes would probably be the dr 650. I’ve ridden a dr 650 that was owned by a big, tall guy who had quite a few mods on it (I didn’t ask, but wouldn’t be surprised if he hadn’t raised it). It seemed too big for her. I took it in the woods and although I didn’t fall, thought it would be a high probability before I made it out. Seemed heavy (but in the woods I guess that’s to be expected).
    My main goal right now is to just get a small bike and get her to ride some on dirt when she comes home (once a month or so). In the meantime, I am thinking and looking. A safety course and license is down the road.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW My wife has a WR250R that has been lowered 3 inches and re-sprung for her weight. She also has a stock DR650 that is in the factory low setting. The DR is an inch lower seat height. She never rides the WR, she likes the DR better.
    RideN likes this.
  4. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A4D3B552-63DD-4184-9470-EDE9164E7AAB.jpeg
    Finally paid a small fortune for a 2015 Yamaha XT250. Slow maneuvers around trees for practice is as far as we got. I’m not going to push her and the way it looks there isn’t a class that fits her schedule until the end of the summer.

ATGATT except when going 5mph around trees. This was several days ago and she is now fluttering the clutch and turning at every tree.

Meanwhile, my 17 y/o and 15 y/o also want to ride (we’ll see).

Attached Files:

5. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. My 18 year son just received his license last month . Barley any experience, not for lack of trying. All my children have dirt bikes, but never ride them. In April he said to me I'm going to get my license. Of course everything going on now we couldn't find a MSF course , they seemed to be all booked up. Finally in may a friend called and we got him in a course with Harley Davidson. It's been four weeks since he received his license and at the end of the week we leave for a week long road trip.
    Great choice on her motorcycle, I insisted on the same route and he now has a crf230l. They seem to progress quickly with a light bike. We have decided that he will take my Himalayan instead his bike , based on how fast the young ones learn.
    talmage and dp064 like this.
  6. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you going for your week long trip?
  7. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are leaving northern New Hampshire and heading south to the Mass border where we will meet up with my uncle and nephew then head west across VT into upstate New York. Our plan is to stay in Lake George one night then again head west to lake Ontario and find a place to sleep and loop back and up to Lake placid spend the night at Topo's hostel, then head back south to the Berkshires in Mass and ride the Mohawk (route 2) as far as the Connecticut river thats where we split back up and they will head south back to Rhode Island and we'll head north to a friend's camp on lake Sunnapee. The next morning we plan to head out late afternoon for easy seventy mile ride home.
  8. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    instead of rte 2 eastbound, i recommend rte 116 from adams to the ct river - it just might be the prettiest paved road in mass... enjoy your trip!

eta: and a ride up and over mt greylock should not be missed.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    OP, did you get a bike and is she riding yet.

I'd say a small cruiser, maybe Rebel, VStar.
  10. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I also heard they working on route 2 this summer anyway and may have to look for an alternative route , I'd hate to be stuck in construction traffic. We are packing and prepping the bike this afternoon. Yesterday was an unexpected surprise. We found a nail in the front tire and being bike week up here , finding a place to change was impossible, so we took on the task , changed the tube ourselves. That definitely built more confidence for my son to be on the road.
    snglfin likes this.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maggot12 likes this.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks.. many little side stories, and I read right thru that post without knowing.

sieg likes this.
  13. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    that’s excellent to get a shot of confidence in your capabilities before your trip. safe travels!
  14. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just got back from five days on the road. I was a bit nervous taking my eighteen year old son with only a couple months experience on such a long trip , but after the first day I realized that it doesn't matter where we are , the roads are the same, the rules of the road don't change and his ability and confidence increased with every mile. Yes I was nervous when we road for seven hours in the rain the first day, but I didn't show it , or at least I think it didn't show. Most of our riding was done on paved roads and no highways. Dirt roads were limited to country roads with me being on a road bike.
    I have done more miles and long distance trips then I can remember, but this was the first with one of my children and I have to say it was my favorite trip yet. Here's a pic of him doing the final check before we left and when he met up with his cousin on the top of Mt Greylock in the Berkshires. 20210622_090931.jpg 20210624_200636.jpg
    talmage, AwDang, dp064 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Women can be bad-ass world adventurers as well as anyone. Show her this girl's channel...

She is traveling around the world by herself on a little 250.
    dp064 likes this.
  16. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is all so good to see. I am trying to plan a trip with my adult-ish (22yoa) son who has never MC camped or done any extended trips. We are looking at two weeks (hopefully this year) and a tour around the PNW. The biggest obstacle is scheduling. Work, etc. I finally said, "Pick two weeks and quit your job and I'll get the time off (or quit myself). Let's make this a priority." I'm not getting any younger and that time with kids is precious. I wish my daughters had the inclination.
    dp064 likes this.