Dad Rides Again - This Time to Big Bend

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by andy29847, Feb 26, 2010.

1. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    It snowed like hell in South Carolina FEB 13.

[​IMG]

Dad didn't mind. Big Bend was in his future. As you might guess, all he bought me was this stinking T-Shirt:

[​IMG]

Dad is sleeping now after the 1500+ mile drive home. He promises to tell me all about it when he is wakes up. He showed me this picture as a teaser:

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sure beats all that snow, c'mon dad, let's have it!

:lurk
  3. foster

foster Introverted and proud of it

Oddometer:
    Get up and start postin Dad. We're waitin'

I gotta get back to Big Bend soon. Been too many years.
  4. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big Bend in March!!!
  5. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Dad got ready the night before and left for Big Bend on Friday, FEB 19.

[​IMG]

Dad drove hard and got excited when he crossed the Mississippi River

[​IMG]

He was on a Burn Burner Gold Pace...

[​IMG]

Until he hit the Dallas Metro Mess.

[​IMG]

Dad stopped for the night in Fort Worth where he met up with a couple of Buds who were also headed to Big Bend.
  6. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Riders from the The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum ( www.mctourer.com ) were meeting in Big Bend for one of the 3 events they schedule each year. Big Don Bell was hosting the ride....

[​IMG]

...and a whole pile of riders showed up to escape the winter that has been gripping the rest of the country.

[​IMG]
  7. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Dad says everybody stayed in Study Butte at the Big Bend Resort (excuse the Google Earth pics - Dad forgot to get the camera out at the Inn).

[​IMG]

Dad was a wennie and stayed in the motel. Most of the other riders camped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. BusyWeb

BusyWeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap ....
  9. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Dad said they were were supposed to eat breakfast the first day at the world famous Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe.

[​IMG]

They got up too late for that. Instead, everybody ate at the cafe next door to the inn (good cookies).

The first day's ride was in the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The ride over to the state park is on TX 170 - Dad said it was one of the best motorcycle roads he has ever ridden on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Big Bend Ranch State Park was a ranch that was donated to the State of Texas. It is said to be 1/2 the size of the state of Delaware. Dad says there are no paved roads in the Big Bend Ranch State Park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Dad says his buds take some really good pictures. He is hoping that some of them jump in with their pics and stories..
  11. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dads doin good.....too good and would destroy my trip :lol3
  12. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:

I met Dad in Dallas after a LONG trip from the bluegrass. I'll get some pics and stories up in a bit. Fun time for sure.

John
  13. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got home about 11 last night. I won't be able to add much till Monday.

Here is a picture of the way Dad rides.

Slideways :rofl
    [​IMG]
  14. The Toecutter

The Toecutter R U N N O F T

Oddometer:
    Nice slide, go dad go
  15. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Dad said the first order of business after the ride over to the ranch was to find food (that is always Dad's first order of business). It was a 17 mile dirt road through the ranch to La Sauceda where the park service served our group lunch in the bunkhouse.

[​IMG]

The garden at the ranch had some unusual plants. The first one may belong in the WTF thread. :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope some of my Buds have pics of the bunkhouse and lunch.
  16. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Well after looking through my pics I have decided that I am not a very good photographer. Dad is much better. I have a few I will share though.

It was a very long drive down 67 from Dallas south. Dad kept me and tallbutslow awake by telling us stories about his life and trying to keep up with gorillaSkier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the crew got there a day early and had been out riding while we set up the tents. Dad had to have a hotel room because of his advanced age and rheumatism.:D
    [​IMG]

This is the camp from the hill behind
    [​IMG]

The next morning we met at the KKKK and right across the road was boot hill. Local riding legends last stand.
    [​IMG]

After a lot of this
    [​IMG]

we ended up here for a great lunch of enchiladas and rice
    [​IMG]

After lunch we rode on up the road towards the Solitario. Don't have any good pics from this section but Dad said I could learn about it from Wikipedia:

The Solitario is a large geologic formation in Big Bend Ranch State Park in West Texas. Viewed from above, it suggests an impact crater. In fact, it is the eroded remains of a laccolith. The approximate center of the Solitario is located 56.8 km east southeast of Presidio, Texas, just west of the line dividing Brewster County, Texas and Presidio County, Texas. The formation covers a circular area of approximately 135 square kilometers. The geology of the Solitario is complex. In 1988 the state of Texas purchased the property containing the Solitario and created Big Bend Ranch State Park.

The road back to camp was one of the highlights of the trip. I think this is called Maceda canyon. Someone correct me
    [​IMG]

All for now....

John
  18. andy29847

Oddometer:
    John, thanks for carrying the ball for a while. Dad said he had seen the Solitario on Google Earth while plotting waypoints for the ride.

[​IMG]

Dad says the Solitario is 10 miles wide and can be seen from outer space. After lunch Dad insisted that the group ride to see the landmark. The ride from La Sauceda to the Solitario is ~15 miles. The roads were rougher that the ones before lunch and we had a couple of riders hit the dirt.

[​IMG]

One was the so called Gorilla rider. :D Gorilla rider is 60 years old and out-of-shape worse than Dad. He fell once when his front wheel hit a loose rock. He almost fell another time when he got crossed up on a hill and got off on the wrong side of the bike. Dad says he got a big laugh out of the second slip. Gorilla rider had left Dad and Jason at the Solitario because he couldn't wait to get back to civilization. When Gorilla rider got crossed up on the hill and got off on the wrong side of the bike, he had to stand there on the side of the hill, holding up the bike, until we got there to help him. As Jason and I rode up, you could see Gorilla rider for several hundred yards away, standing on the side of the hill. Jason and I took it easy getting to him because we did not know he was stressed. He was a little edgy when we finally got there. Jason responded to his crabbyness and told him, "I thought you were just standing here waiting on us". Gorilla rider said, "I was waiting on you." For some reason Dad thinks this is really funny. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of our group stopped in the middle of the Solitario.

[​IMG]

Everyone was picking on Dad because the Soltario was so big that it didn't register to anyone trying to look at it from the ground.

[​IMG]

It was a looong way from the Solitario back to the paved road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    I came up to him after he went down all concerned that he was OK. We picked his bike up and I asked if he was all right. He said "Yes". I then asked if he was pissed and he barked "Hell Yes!" :lol3

Here is one more funny Gorilla story. After the excellent lunch we had to pay for it down at the gift shop. Gorilla rider was the first in line and the ranger was asking his name rank and serial number. He was getting a little tired of answering questions when ranger Bob asked him how the ride in was. He exclaimed "It sucked! I ain't no dirt rider!":lol3:lol3

The ranger didn't ask anyone else what they thought about the ride!

John
  20. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    I got hooked up with this ride by sourjon when I had commented on scarysharkface's Big Bend thread back in November and on how I had to get there one day.....well one day came pretty fast.

Fast forward to February....

Gotta' get out of this snow!

[​IMG]

Getting loaded up the night before departure day.

[​IMG]

The hard road south...snow was disappearing (more to come on that!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John (sourjon) driving, me riding shotgun.

[​IMG]

I guess Texas couldn't afford a welcome sign so this will have to do...

[​IMG]

The drive down was a breeze until we hit Dallas.

[​IMG]

In Dallas we meet up with Dad and Don. The bikes loaded on Dad's trailer.

[​IMG]

Start of the drive from Dallas to Big Bend. Dad must be late on his Visa payments because he sure was talking to them on the phone a lot...:rofl

Dad has lot's of great tales to tell. I usually just sat in the back like a little church mouse.

[​IMG]

Don & Dad after some chicken fried steak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Base camp.

[​IMG]

Jason & Don...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sourjon's bike.

[​IMG]

Don Bell...ride leader.

[​IMG]

Intro's all around. Some came in early, others a little later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took my new to me WR on it's first taste of dirt...(more to come on that too!)

[​IMG]

Being artsy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner the 1st night in Terlingua. "BB" ate this monster burger thingy.
    It was about 15 lbs I think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, we ride!

Mark B. in Louisville
    (tallbutslow on MTF)