Daddy-Daughter Trip- Bend, OR to Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klxultralight, Jun 15, 2019.

1. klxultralight

klxultralight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So we have a tradition in our family of taking our kids on a trip to celebrate two different ages. My wife is in charge of the 8 year old trip, and I’m in charge of the 13 year old adventure. She took one to Disneyland and one to Africa with her parents. Hard to compete with that. I proposed a four day, motel hopping adventure through Oregon and Washington on my 990. My daughter’s main goals are to get a hotel with a pool, a free breakfast and see as many dams as possible. My goal is to squeeze as much fun out of our time together before she is too deep in the teen world. It appears like I’m not too late. I’ll keep you posted.
    Medicine Creek, bobw, mike25 and 9 others like this.
  2. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you know your way around the PNW but I'd stay as far away from I-5 as I could get! If you need any suggestions on better riding and roads in the Pugetropolis area, hit me up! I'm sure your daughter will enjoy a ferry ride or two as well.
  3. EMFL

EMFL It's an adventure if nobody died Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look forward to the report. My daughter is now 23, and lived all of our trips when she was younger. Enjoy the journey
  4. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Priceless, precious time with your daughter is upcoming. Enjoy it to the fullest. Keep her close.
  5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of hotels in Bend, but the Bend Riverside: https://bendriversideinnandsuites.com/

is is worth a look. It is older but fixed up and is funky cool. They have "condos" which are studios right on the river. Cook in the kitchen, sit on the deck and eat overlooking the river. Parking lot is gated, and in the middle of the complex they have a big pool and hot tub. It is a block from downtown, and while not cheap, usually cheaper than most anything comparable.

The Mariott Town Place on the Westside also is nice, has a pool and is reasonable (for this town).

Hope that helps.

BP
  6. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
  7. klxultralight

klxultralight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lack of updates. After some upgrades in gear and a week vacation in Sun River, we are ready to leave tomorrow. Katie is in the trailer, covered with a moving blanket so that one of the family bikes doesn’t scratch her. We trailered the bike down here and plan to ride back to the Seattle area in 3 days. I do plan to avoid I-5 at all costs. Our itinerary is now Tri-cities, Winthrop, and Whidbey Island. We’ve got the Senas working and Sarah is super excited.

Attached Files:

AnthonyD and ride everything like this.
  8. klxultralight

klxultralight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9EC7B4FF-FD79-47B3-8F7E-89D1DC29B3CD.jpeg Loaded up and took off yesterday morning. Out of the Bend area, our first stop was Smith Rocks. The wind in central Oregon was nuking. Beautiful country, but to be honest, it felt like survival at times. 30 mph front quartering winds were a battle. I wished I was riding single track on my 350 and struggled to remember why we were doing this road trip.

We took 97 through places like GrassValley and Moro. The gas gauge on the 990 was displaying the dreaded ‘F’ symbol as we pulled through an out of business gas station near Wasco (I think) and I got a little more worried. I reassured Sarah everything was going to be ok. As a dad, I’m never 100% sure of those kind of statements. The wind was hammering us and I was thinking, this is not helping the gas mileage. As we rolled up to the shell station on the Columbia River I saw F 42.5 or something like that- too big of a number for my liking.

Once we crossed the bridge and turned right on 14, the sun and wind were at our backs. What a beautiful ride in the warm, dry weather of gorge country. Awesome!!! We saw maybe 10 cars on winding, smooth roads. At times like this I understand why people have road bikes. Flat out awesome views and tunes were jamming in my ears. Sarah was getting tired and the hotel last night was a welcome site. We ate some wonderful pub food and watched a movie- too exhausted for the pool.

Today- Grand Coulee Dam. Thanks for following.
    weldpro, B10Dave and AnthonyD like this.
  9. klxultralight

klxultralight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A51E5484-3A99-4C69-8F97-914ACEA80AB7.jpeg Well, I’m not a professional blogger. Sorry again for the lack of in ride updates. Riding with your kid on the back of the bike is a little stressful. I just wanted to arrive at our next spot safely. We made it to Grand Coulee riding thru some of the most beautiful farm land in WA. The smell of mint was awesome. SR 17 to SR 155 all the way to Omak. We kind of happened upon this route and it worked incredibly well. I didn’t research any riding guides so we got lucky with the route and weather. We had reservations in Winthrop for the night so after Omak, a quick bit on 97, then hwy 20 to our hotel.

After a good night’s rest in Winthrop, we took the North Cascades Highway past Ross and Diablo lakes. I-5 to Edmonds to Kitsap county finished off our trek. The rest of the family was happy to see us. This was a fantastic experience for Sarah and me. Memories that will hopefully last a lifetime.
    yosso and AnthonyD like this.