1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DADODIRTS Four Corners of Paradise

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DADODIRT, Apr 24, 2013.

1. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May 1, 2019

Bakersfield is a hole. We're at the nicest hotel of the trip. Middle of the night, window open on the first floor and some f*&^%r popped the screen and tried to climb into my room. Part of the adventure, I guess.
    HoC 49 m.JPG

Round Mountain Road up through Halfway House, Granite Road, Old Stage Road, Springville, Milo Yokohl Valley Road.
    Then up 198 to Three Rivers for the night.
    HoC 51 m.JPG
    HoC 54 m.jpg

HoC 55 m.jpg

HoC 59 m.jpg

Rode most of the day by myself today. Skipped the red route in the afternoon.
    171 Miles.
    staticPort likes this.
  2. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    May 2, 2019
    Decided to do the day by myself today. Some of the other riders, including myself, decided to re-route through Sequoia NP.
    The road up into the park was probably the best pavement of the trip. HoC 61 m.JPG

General Sherman.

HoC 63 m.JPG

I met up with a couple of the guys at lunch somewhere near Squaw Valley.
    Elwood Road, Tretton Canyon, up past Pine Flat Reservoir, Trimmer Springs Road, through Tollhouse, Pine Ridge and into the small mountain town of Shaver Lake for the evening.
    20190503_080445.jpg

0C81F16B-D985-4EA2-B8CA-F7470E349370.jpeg

180 Miles.
  3. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    May 3, 2019
    Glad I stuck with the ride Yoda today. Some of the blue route was closed.
    IMG_6030.JPG
    Some of it was dirt. And some sketchy spots, too.
    HoC 65 m.JPG
    HoC 66 m.JPG
    Not sure where all the little adventures occurred, but we wound our way through places like Auberry, Bass Lake, Oakhurst, Raymond, Stonehouse.
    I think we went through Hornitos a couple of times after lunch in Cathey's Valley.
    IMG_6009.JPG
    Something tells me my pictures are out of order. Oh well,,,
    Farming city of Turlock was home for the evening.

299 miles.
  4. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    May 4, 2019

Headed west this morning up Del Puerto Canyon and San Antonio Valley to Lick Observatory.
    Probably some of the steepest switchbacks yet.
    HoC 67 m.JPG

HoC 69 m.JPG

HoC 71 m.JPG

HoC 72 m.JPG
    HoC 73 m.jpeg

After descending into Santa Clara we were on 101 south for a ways. Then through places like Hollister Hills, San Benito, Bitterwater and backtracked on day one's route through Peachtree Road and Slacks Canyon and into Parkfield (Population 18) and the V6 Ranch for the last night.
    20190505_070706.jpg
    285 Miles for a trip total of 1700.

Just a little background on the gpskevin adventure rides: I attended a presentation by one of the ride Yodas at the BMW MOA National Rally in Salt Lake City a couple years ago. Got me interested enough to buy a gps unit for the bike and start figuring out how to use it. There are other rides including Baja, Grand Canyon, Northern California, Colorado. You pay up front for the ride, which has a limited amount of riders. Cost is cheap considering you get a room each night and the route for your gps. Probably cheaper than booking the rooms yourself, plus you don't need to think about it. Some nights you share a room with another rider. I shared rooms for 4 of the 8 nights. A lot of the riders knew each other from other similar rides. Everyone is a competent rider and used to long days in the saddle. Everyone likes to ride, so there is an immediate comradery. There is no way I could have planned this route myself. So much of the days were spent on lonely back roads, twisting through second and third gear. The hotels were a mix of Super 6 and some lodges and mom and pop motels. All were at least as good as I would have arranged for myself. The route shows gas stops, where to get lunch and numerous donut holes for regrouping. I tend to do a lot of rides by myself. Some of this is due to riders that I know not being able to all agree on a time and place and route. Not the case with these rides. Just show up and the other riders are there. There were a few of the red routes that I would not have wanted to be on by myself with a mostly loaded GS. No issues, but if there had been, there's another rider probably a few miles behind you. You are on your own for meals. Some evenings it's just you and your immediate group. Others it's the whole crew. I'll do this type of ride again, for sure.
  5. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    June 30, 2019
    Time for a little weekend ride. With miles. All pavement.
    550 north from home on Saturday morning. 50 east from Montrose out to 92 west.
    Stopped at an overlook along 92.

DSCF3133.JPG DSCF3134.JPG
    Talked to by some fellow gs riders, but wanted to get out of there ahead of the rolling road block (aka cruisers).

Out through Crawford and Hotchkiss. My initial plan was to look for a room down in Grand Junction, but I opted to get a place in Cedaredge instead, which allowed me to ride 65 north up to I 70 and back. Bonus times two. I get to ride it twice AND I don't have to go to Grand Junction.
    Lots of snow up on Grand Mesa. All the side roads and trail heads were closed. Lakes were not frozen, and lots of folks fishing.
    On the way back I went out to Collbran to check if the forest service road up to Grand Mesa Lodge was open yet. Kind of figured as much, but glad I asked as it was still closed up top.
    DSCF3135.JPG
    DSCF3138.JPG
    Procured a room on the way north a few hours ago at the Tri-R motel. Walking distance to Lost Mesa Grill. Triple Bonus. Rockies won tonight.
    350 Miles.
    K1DUDE, eddyturn and staticPort like this.
  6. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    June 30, 2019
    Up at the crack of dawn and down to Delta for the hobo skillet. Filling.
    50 west to 141.
    It was a little busy yesterday, between 550 and more traffic then I've ever seen on 92.
    Not 141. Stopped south of Gateway in the shade of the canyon for half an hour or so. Sometimes 5 minutes between the loan vehicle passing.
    DSCF3140.JPG DSCF3142.JPG
    I had time to stop at my brother in law's place in Norwood. Coincidentally ran into him at the gas station in town. Hung out on the bridge over the Gurly Ditch for a few. Then back to 145, down the hill, through the canyon, 62 to Ridgway and 550 south to home by one pm.
    280 Miles.
    K1DUDE, rvsparky, Utrider1 and 4 others like this.
  7. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love that stretch of 141. Be there in a month......
  8. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    July 21, 2019

Stoney Pass. Still a lot of closed routes in the high country. I didn't go as far as Pole Creek. Still a lot of runoff. A jeeper got swept away a few weeks ago. They found her body a few days or so later.
    The road up to Animas Forks from Silverton is still closed. More vehicles up here then I've ever seen.
    Stoney Pass.jpg

Flowers in bloom. And I did find a lonely spot to relax and enjoy the view.
    K1DUDE likes this.
  9. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    September 8, 2019

Alpine Loopish
    Up Lime Creek, through Silverton and up to Corkscrew Pass.
    IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    Down into Ironton and followed the county roads up past the sheep.
    IMG_1450.JPG

Love this stretch....
    IMG_1451.JPG

Another angle - looking over Chatanooga.
    IMG_1452.JPG

Across the highway and Ophir Pass.
    IMG_1454.JPG
    Slabbed it to Rico for lunch at the Enterprise, then back over Bolam Pass to Purgatory.
    IMG_1457.JPG
    WRC51, K1DUDE, bomose and 4 others like this.
  10. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    Is that route over Bolam Pass big bike friendly? I've done the loop several times, and am curious about alternate routes.
  11. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've taken my 1150GS over it a few times. But every time I take the little bike, I wonder why I would take a big bike.
    Long Creek crossing down near Purgatory, which can be kind of rough in the early summer.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  12. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    When we have the Guzzi gathering in Ouray, there are a few of us on Stelvios and the like that are interested in alternatives. A couple of us did the route from 50 to Ridgway over Silver Jack this year. Nice road, beautiful scenery. Wanted to do Last Dollar, but it had been raining and didn't need "that" much adventure.

Great thread you have going here I really enjoy it. I need to do a good bit more exploring in this area and your insights stoke that flame.

AND I still owe you a beer!
    DADODIRT likes this.
  13. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    September 20, 2019
    Wrong bike, right rally? Right bike, wrong rally?
    Missed out on the Sipapu rally again this year, but was able to cut out on Friday and take a favorite route to the Western Slope BMW Riders Hotchkiss, CO rally. The last time I was to their rally, it was at a nice campground north of Cedaredge. They moved it to the fairgrounds about 12 years ago. Not as nice a venue, IMHO.
    Oh yeah, I'm taking the Buell.
    First stop - along the San Miguel River just below Norwood Hill.
    IMG_1459.JPG Somewhere along 141.
    IMG_1460.JPG

Remains of the flume.
    IMG_1461.JPG
    More flume.

IMG_1463.JPG
    Lunch in Gateway.

20190920_131928.jpg

Got to the rally site mid afternoon.
    20190920_164236.jpg
    Ran into some riders I haven't seen for a while, including @ROAD DAMAGE.
    230 miles.
  14. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    September 21, 2019

After a good rally breakfast, I was off for a nice fall ride. I was thinking about trying to make a loop, maybe include Kebler pass from Crested Butte, but I had such a good time on the ride out 92 that I decided to back track. Most times I am on this road it is part of a longer ride, so it was nice to hit it out and back.
    Took a bunch of pictures of the Black Canyon on the way back.
    IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG

More to come....
  15. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    September 21 & 22, 2019
    For some reason, I've never stopped at Pioneer Point.
    Worth the little hike out to the overlook.
    IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    After a late lunch in Paonia, I headed up past the state park towards McClure pass.
    IMG_1481.JPG

Back to the rally site for some food, beer and socializing.
    130 miles
    Home on Sunday. Gotta love beginning and ending the ride with 550 between my house and Ouray.
    140 miles.
    redrock88, bomose and eddyturn like this.
  16. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    October 6, 2019
    Fall colors ride. Took the CRF250 to Rico via Scotch Creek and back Barlow Creek and Bolam pass.
    IMG_1482.JPG
    Hard to see from the pictures, but the leaves were full color as low as you could see up to tree line. +/-4000'
    IMG_1483.JPG
    One more from here.
    IMG_1484.JPG
    Lunch at the Enterprise.
    On the way back, I took a left at the pond and went out to Tin Can Basin.
    Cool view of Lizard Head.
    IMG_1485.JPG
    Color shot.
    IMG_1487.JPG
    That's about 90 miles.
    katbeanz and bomose like this.
  17. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    October 13, 2019

GS US 550 to Ridgway. Haven't been up Owl Creek in quite a while. The road itself was in bad shape with large gravel. I pushed on to a good photo spot. I've probably taken this same shot with different bikes over the years.
    IMG_1488.JPG
    Plan was to have lunch at the gnarly taco shop in Ridgway, but they were closed on Sunday? Decent Rueben next door, though.
    And a quick stop on the way home.
    IMG_1489.JPG
    About 130 miles.
    eddyturn, bomose and staticPort like this.
  18. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    November 9, 2019
    I was packed to camp for two nights, but the old man in me said it's cold and gets dark quick this time of year. So the old man opted for the old man style early departure.
    Lunch at Denny's in Cortez at 5 a.m. then out through the high desert on US 160 to 191, out past Valley of the Gods, up Moki dugway to Mulley Point. Camp spots are plentiful, so I find a good spot - well two spots, as it were - and geared up for today's ride.
    Followed the road out past Mulley Point to sort of a dead end.
    IMG_1491.JPG

Looking down at John's Canyon Road.
    IMG_1492.JPG

Mellow exploration is the plan. Nothing too difficult, but places I haven't been.
    Back out to the highway and north on 261 for a few miles to Slickhorn Road. Took the left on Point Lookout Road.

IMG_1494.JPG
    Then out Slickhorn Road for a bit. Easy sand two track, but I wanted to get east of the highway, too. Maybe get a view of Comb Ridge.
    So out to the end of Cigarette Springs Road.
    IMG_1495.JPG
    You can kind of see the ridge down there.

IMG_1497.JPG
    About 80 miles today.
    Back to camp in time for a nice hike along the ridge.
    IMG_1500.JPG
    eddyturn, bomose and staticPort like this.
  19. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    November 9, 2019
    Hike continued.
    IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG And camp for the night. I was able to set up camp back in the pinions a little ways. Expecting some wind, maybe. No wind, though. Oddly calm the whole trip.
    I had my camp fire set up at camp 2, across the two track. Which had a nice view as the sun set.
    IMG_1511.JPG I'll post day 2 later. Got some skiing to do.....
    CPAT, RedDogAlberta, eddyturn and 2 others like this.
  20. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Muley Point is one of my favorites. As it is for many.