1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DADODIRTS Four Corners of Paradise

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DADODIRT, Apr 24, 2013.

1. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Josh!
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    November 10, 2019
    Down the dugway.
    IMG_1512.JPG
    Camp is up there.
    IMG_1513.JPG
    Heading out to John's Canyon. You could see the road from my hike last night.
    IMG_1517.JPG
    The scenery gets even better after you turn back into John's Canyon.
    IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    Went to the creek before turning around.
    IMG_1520.JPG
    Back out to the highway and enough time left to go through Valley of the Gods.
    IMG_1524.JPG
    Nobody around out here.
    IMG_1525.JPG
    So I took it pretty fast. I've been on this road a few times, but always with a big bike loaded with camp gear. Kinda fun on the little red pig.
    IMG_1526.JPG
    And back up the dugway.
    IMG_1527.JPG
    About 80 miles today, too.
    Had camp packed up and was on the road home by 3ish.
    I decided to take the northern route home, taking 261 north to 95, Blanding and Monticello. It's within one mile of being the same distance from my house.
    redrock88, K1DUDE, eddyturn and 2 others like this.
  3. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    November 17, 2019
    Last ride of the season. Beautiful, brisk morning ride north over the passes with the intent to turn around in Ouray.
    But it was just too nice to not just do the full loop.
    So, onto 62 and 145 with a quick stop south of Rico at the bottom of Scotch Creek.
    20191117_124158.jpg
    Did the full loop of 250 miles in just under 5 hours.
    K1DUDE and staticPort like this.
  4. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    November 30, 2019

This little guy followed me home in November. Looks too nice to get dirty, but I'm sure I can fix that. Should be a good bike for some trails I've been hesitant to take the 250 on. And a decent learner bike for my boys - plated and insured.
    20191204_064051.jpg
    That's it for 2019.
    I have a flight booked to Costa Rica in April with a DR650 ready for me down there.
    Happy 2020 you FF's.
    staticPort and eddyturn like this.
  5. taosgsr

taosgsr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice posts. Thanks for sharing.
  6. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking!
    taosgsr likes this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Such a magnificent country. I've stayed in Blanding and had breakfast in Monticello. An older couple from Miami at the hotel in Blanding invited us to join them in their rented Lincoln out of Vegas for a local tour and dinner. What a wonderful evening. I have so many great Utah memories. :raabia
    DADODIRT likes this.
  8. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    May 2, 2020

I hope these pictures find you all in good health. SW Colorado is still on a stay at home very light lock down. A lot of businesses are still closed and restaurants are doing take out. Our county hasn't been hit too hard by the virus itself, but the county just to the south in New Mexico is pretty bad right now. Seems like the Navajo Nation is getting hit hard. I don't think they have the medical infrastructure to help and the area is so spread out. It could be a few hours to a hospital.
    Well, the good thing is, I'm pretty good at socially distancing myself.
    Out with the old. The old GS was in great shape, just getting a little 'long in the tooth'. Gonna miss her.
    20200411_124732.jpg
    I got one last good ride - down the river road to Aztec, over to Navajo Dam and up through Ignacio. 175 miles.

And in with the new.
    IMG_1528.JPG

2013 model. I like the ergonomics. Reminds me of the KTM950. Not as much power, though.
    Needs some sorting, but all in all, I'm excited to finally have one of these.
    Rode up around Vallecito this morning. Lake is full. 115 miles.

I think it's going to be a while until any of us can safely tour, but hopefully you are able to get some throttle therapy!

Stay safe out there.
  9. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    Yes, throttle therapy. Keeps you happy.

June 14, 2020

Took the F800 for a ride to scope out the roads above Mancos.
    Stopped along the old railroad grade above Cherry Creek on the way home.
    2020-0614 Mancos.jpg

June 19, 2020

Making sure to do the after work ride up into the hills once a week or so.
    2020-0619 Molas 1.jpg

June 21, 2020

And some dirt biking. Early morning ride up to the top of Bolam Pass and back.
    2020-0621 Bolam 4.JPG

2020-0621 Bolam 5.JPG

2020-0621 Bolam 2.JPG

bomose and RedDogAlberta like this.
  10. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    and more.

June 28, 2020

Some rides don't get pictures. Just miles.
    Met up with @OTB for the Lake City Loop CCW. Thanks for meeting up!
    375 miles in about 9 hours. Lunch at the world famous Packer Saloon and Cannibal Grill in Lake City.

July 9-12, 2020

Got the family camp rig set up and rolling. Maiden voyage was three nights camping up above Mancos along the Aspen Loop trail.
    2020-0709 Aspen Loop 1.jpg
    I can fit two bikes and all the camp gear in there. It's a 6x12 Cargo Craft. Came with an arb fridge and a solar panel. MOMODIRT even came up for two of the three nights.

OC Rockin' the Reflex.
    2020-0709 Aspen Loop 2.jpg

July 19, 2020

Ouray and back by 10 am.

This one's for you.....

2020-0719 Ouray 3.JPG
    redrock88, zipweee, jwrover and 3 others like this.
  11. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    September 18, 2020
    Colors of the Fall
    2020-0920 bruised.jpg

I figure that's an appropriate title for the picture. Fractured a rib and had a spot on the right lung that was pulled away from the ribcage, causing a few extra trips to the doc.
    The CRF250 faired better than me, but it was not much fun lifting it and riding the 20 miles or so back to camp.

2020-0918 mcphee.jpg

That's just before the crash.
    I took Friday off from work and headed over to Boggy Draw area (above Dolores, CO. right along the COBDR). Found a nice camp spot and geared up for some riding. I've passed through here a lot, but always on a big bike, so it was nice to explore the two tracks and atv trails in the area. Did a hour long ride and stopped back at camp for lunch. Looks like I have a few hours until I need to meet the family in Dolores, about 15 minutes down the hill from camp. I take a look at the map and plot a course for the route down to McPhee Reservoir. Fun roads. Nothing difficult. Just rolling two track through the Ponderosas. The last 1/4 mile or so was a little rough and I turned around at the picture for a break.
    One the way up, going over some loose but not steep or difficult terrain I hit a big rock that apparently wasn't stable. It hit the skid plate, then lifted the rear wheel up and I was down. Knocked the wind out of me, which hurt like hell when I finally got my breath back due to the rib.

2020-0919 camp.jpg

Made it back to camp but was hurting a bit too much to take the bike to town, so I unhitched the trailer and drove down.
    I probably should have just gone to the hospital, but I know there's not much to do for a rib, so I toughed it out (MOMODIRT will get a kick out of that) for the two nights, just hanging around camp and some short hikes. Family got some good mountain biking in. There's a lot of good, non-moto single track for them.

60 miles, about 20 in pain.
  12. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    October 4, 2020
    Fall colors ride

A little over two weeks since the get off. Jonesin' for a ride and left unattended for the day...what's a guy to do?
    Ride to Ouray sounds in order. Never know this time of year. Could be the last trip over the hills if we luck out and get some snow soon.
    IMG_1556.JPG
    That's looking north from just north of Red Mountain Pass. Colors are a little past prime up here already.

IMG_1557.JPG
    Gave him the benefit of the doubt and snapped the shot before the pickup truck he was holding up was in view.

IMG_1555.JPG

Those guys are way on the other side of the valley. I'm fully zoomed in on them. Looks like they're loaded with gear. Must be on Ouray County road 31, which sort of parallels the highway for a bit.
    IMG_1558.JPG

Stopped for lunch in Ouray. Tried to flag down @jwrover when he passed in his company van, but it was a bit too busy to try to track him down.
    IMG_1559.JPG

US 550 is down to one lane a couple miles above Ouray. Rolled through the green light on the way down, but got stuck in the masses on the way back. Makes for a stopping spot you wouldn't normally have.

IMG_1560.JPG

I stopped at the south end of the one lane and let the masses pass. Took a five minute break and had the road to myself.

One last stop....
    IMG_1563.JPG

That felt better than I thought.
    112 miles.
  13. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    August 15, 2020

Almost forgot about this one.
    Got to test out the F800 on a two night camp trip in the high rockies.
    The intent was to hit the southern part of the NMBDR, but we actually had some rain that weekend. I took US160 to Pagosa Spring to US84 and onto US64, working my way east to a intersect the route. I stopped in the rain at one of the pull outs that looks up towards Brazos Peak and the Continental Divide. I watched the rain intensify off to the north. Walked around a bit and had a snack. There's a couple of theses similar pullouts along one stretch through the NF. Each with a couple shade/picnic structures. They're getting a bit rundown the past couple of times I've been out this way.
    I continued east looking for the NF road where the BDR heads north. I stopped and looked, but by the look of the highway surface it wasn't going to happen. Mud where vehicles had turned off the road onto the highway.
    I opted for highway, knowing that I could either head back into the mountains if it clears or opt for something lower. The stretch of US 64 is always a favorite. Little to no traffic, beautiful sweepers and the scenery isn't bad, either.
    North on US 285 at Tres Piedras to San Antonio and CO 17 back into the mountains and rain. Not too heavy of a rain and I know of a bunch of NF campgrounds up this way.
    Maybe it was the rain, but there were a good number of campsites available for a Saturday evening.
    IMG_1539.JPG

The gear all fits well. I wasn't sure as I've never used the 'soft bags', touring mostly with Jesse's or Happy Trails aluminum. I added a Caribou case on the rear and with the additional waterproof roll bag and the tank bag, I was able to pack comfortably, including:
    Larger tent
    Helinox cot
    Helinox chair
    Rotopax 1 gallon water
    cooking gear/stove
    sleeping bag
    food
    a few beers
    more clothes than I used
    etc.

IMG_1540.JPG
    Took a nice evening walk down along the Conejos River. Pretty low, witch allowed me to get out onto some rock bars.

I came back out to the river in the morning in hopes of seeing some wildlife, but no luck.
    IMG_1541.JPG

260 miles, give or take.
    bomose and shuckinator like this.
  14. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    August 16, 2020

Slept well on the cot. Don't know why I didn't buy one of those sooner.
    Day 2 is clear and I head north towards Summitville. The route kind of bypasses Platoro Reservoir and I hadn't been out past it before. The water was very low and the road is mostly way above the lake.
    IMG_1542.JPG

Up over the mountains with the mandatory Summitville picture. Summitville is part operating mine and part ghost town up around 12,000 feet. Pretty much at treeline.
    IMG_1543.JPG

I wound my way down the mountain to US 160 west of South Fork.
    Then CO 149 north to Creede for a much needed lunch break at Kip's Grill. Outside seating and fish tacos.
    And onward over Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes. Another beauty road.
    I grab some groceries and call the family for a check in from Lake City before heading back a few miles south to Lake San Cristobal. I've been past this place dozens of times, but never had the chance to camp. Not as clean as most NF campgrounds, but at $5 it's a deal.
    Had time for a short hike before dinner.
    IMG_1549.JPG

Lake San Cristobal

IMG_1544.JPG

Looking up towards Cinnamon Pass.
    IMG_1546.JPG

160ish miles.
    bomose likes this.
  15. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    August 17, 2020

About dinner time last night and a couple of riders set up camp next to me. I waited too long to write this and have forgot their names by now. I think I jotted it down on some scrap paper that I have managed to lose. They were riding a tiger and a klr and were headed over Engineer Pass this morning. I advised them about the route and told them about the option of heading down through Animas Forks into Silverton vs the more direct route down to US 550 just south of Ouray.
    IMG_1552.JPG

Showed one of the riders the overlook I found last night.
    IMG_1551.JPG
    A bit of a late start means I won't be home in time to answer phone calls and emails on this glorious (glorious because I'm not at work and out of cell range) Monday morning.
    I head north through Lake City on CO 149 to the Big Blue Wilderness FS road that goes up over Alpine Plateau before descending to meet with US 50 west of the Cimmaron Dam.
    View from the top looking south towards Uncompaghre Peak.
    IMG_1553.JPG
    US 50 is a shit show right now as the forest fire near Glenwood Springs has I70 closed and traffic is being diverted down this way. Luckily I am only on it for about 10 miles before the Silverjack Lake and Owl Creek Pass cutoff. No more pictures. I stopped for a lunch break at the day use area near Silverjack and pretty much had the road to myself. Down to Ridgway, then US 550 home.
    150 milesish.
    eddyturn and fred flintstone like this.