DakAL 2020 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Orangecicle, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Starting this thread now to lock down timing and annoy my friends with yet another planning thread. Hey, the bike won't ride itself, so who's with me?

@RoundOz
    @ZLTFUL
    @engineman
    @vipers
    @TrailGoat

Anybody else?
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    I’m trying to squeeze in a run this year before the first big snowfall or at least after the ground has dried out afterwards. With my work and honey-do schedule slowing down like falling objects don’t, my chances are slim.
    Are you thinking next year is the soonest you can manage it?
    Orangecicle likes this.
  3. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a few closures a few weeks ago if you guys have any questions let me know. Bill said he will be changing the route this December for next year
  4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, next year makes the most sense for me.
  5. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Bill told me about some of the best road in the Northern Hills had been turned into a dirt highway. Don’t remember if he said it was also closed to bikes. What other closures do you know of?
  6. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The track to bear mountain from the south is closed. I went up the down side then back down the same. The winter and spring seems to have been very hard on the black hills. The rest of the first day should be ok. Hope you like opening and closing cattle gates. Second day is good easy gravel and pavement. So much stuff I never saw on all my trips to Sturgis I got to see. Third day is technical there is one track that got pretty serious fast. I now have a route around it if someone didn’t want to do it . I think most of my concern was doing it solo and the what if I drop it. Solo it would have been a bitch on a loaded adventure bike to get back underway. I made it , paused at the top. Ironically there is a post from a guy did the same thing.lol. There was a short road closed but I made it thru this one. Belle Fourche and around the top .... The roads were good. I wouldn’t want to ride them if they were wet. The ones to Camp cook are like Iowa B roads.if it’s wet stay on the Camp Cook gravel road. Just dirt in no mans land. East of Camp Cook were it turns and goes north is closed. IT IS TRULY CLOSED. A little more to the East turn north and you connect with the route. I had a storm chasing me so I didn’t do the loops up there in Custer park. Slim buttes was a fun spot down to Hoover and sturgis . There was a closure on the last day getting close to the end. I’ll have to find it. It was truly closed and was an hour ride back to go around it. I watched the weather close and was flexible about starting my trip to avoid the rainy weather. I postponed a week and I was glad I did. I’d strongly suggest anyone do that. Brought camping gear but the most I paid for a room as 50 bucks. I’m not sleeping in the dirt when I can get a room for that. I can get you the work around tracks if you want them. Had a ball. If the route changes I’ll probably do it again. I took a Garmin mini. Doing it solo I would recommend something like it. Hope that helps let me know if I can help more

Wayne
  7. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wayne. I’ll take any closure or workaround locations you can share. I got smart (or chickened out) and avoided most of the snow-melt mud this time last year, riding solo with a heavy load, then got chased out of the northern section by a fast wide winter storm.
    I’d really like to get a sortie in there before winter closes in.
    Mark
  8. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I can make that work. If you can email the track that would be good. I will pm you an email address. It’s cool that the map displays all the mine sites...,
    Did you attempt the Rocky Ford river crossing by Edgemont?
  10. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try to make it (2020). Going to try to do a 3-5 days of single track in SD next year too. I'll plan around dates others set.
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Some inspiration:

12. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Very cool. There is also pretty good video on the Dakal site. Every time I speak to Bill he makes a point of telling me I need to do this:

https://www.dakota600.com/

Obviously it’s a big money raiser for their trail clearing activities. Probably will always be out of my price range but it actually sounds like pretty decent value for money, all things considered. I’m averse to big crowds (and not just while riding) but he says you end up riding in smaller groups. It’s entry-limited to 40. From the videos most of the bikes are under 600 cc’s.
  13. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oz

I did not try the river crossing. In Bills notes he tells you to check the river when you cross the river in Edgemont. It was full,fast, and full of brown color.

I had to find a way to even get to the hills as I 90 was flooded. I made it thru on gravel and a few water crossings. When I got to I Mitchell the truck stop told me they were routing ppl to Brookings. I was a 15 min detour no hours. While the west didn’t get the 14.5 inches the middle you could see they had received a bunch the week before
  14. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I on big bikes fully loaded came across this many years ago, before we knew anything about Black Hills routes (not sure there were any then). There is a photo somewhere of me standing in the river with my pants rolled up, taken right before I almost stepped into a hole that made us both backtrack several miles. That crossing has been my white whale ever since. One of these days!
  15. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brad
    That video helped inspire me to do the ride. Oh to be young and ride it like ya stole it like they did.
    RoundOz likes this.
  16. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I ride mine like the bank owns it. For good reason.
    Orangecicle likes this.
  17. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I ride mine as if I'm tired of making new replacement parts for it. Parking -- well, that's an entirely different story.

[​IMG]
    32dgrz and ZLTFUL like this.
  18. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you might be on to something..... Cruise ship Julie’s ADV school of parking ....This might be big
  19. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Count me in. Will have to figure out a date range so I can get it on the calendar at work.
  20. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about doing this and in fact doing it next summer. Too early for me to commit but I will beep my eye on this thread. I did the Mid Atlantic BDR and the TAT this past summer so have to carefully develop the idea of another bike trip to my wife. The nugget of possibility there though, is that her parents live in Spearfish and we're overdue for a visit.