DakAL 2020 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Orangecicle, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    {Ahem.} Planning, people! We need planning. I'm already having camping withdrawal, and we're not even out of December.

@RoundOz
    @ZLTFUL
    @engineman
    @vipers
    @TrailGoat

We should get together sometime. Make it this weekend, and I might even get the sidecar rig out. The wife actually wants it out of the garage for awhile so she can clean up the trail of oil it's left behind. :lol3

JeepDawg likes this.
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    I’ll be as close as Lincoln this weekend...son’s graduation. He also scored a job right out of college...more camping money for me (?)

The basic Dakal route is pretty well laid out, although you can start from anywhere around it, and add in extra side trips too I guess (tour of an old missile silo anyone?)
    Seems I heard Fall is a good time to avoid snowmelt, thunderstorms and mud. The latter always makes for good photos though, so maybe Spring is an option too.
  3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I should be down for something this weekend.
  4. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still interested and will do best to just plan around what you guys decide for time frames and what not.
  5. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    From Bill Hearne in response to my question about Spring timing:

The seasonal trails are generally opened May 15. Wet weather can delay that opening. So May 15 is your earliest start date. There is often wet ground and maybe even slight ice on the shaded north slopes at this time.

If things are significantly wet, there are sections that are unrideable. Then you just have to figure a way around those sections.
  6. J.Austin

J.Austin Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Gang, sorry to crash your thread. Over the winter, we've been planning our spring/summer trips. We usually do Moab in the late spring, but this year we're thinking DakAL first then Utah in the fall. Out of Covid shutdown boredom, I thought I'd see what ADV had to say about this ride. Low and behold a bunch of other Iowa guys talking about and planning a similar trip in 2020.

-We've got a group of 3 confirmed, possibly 5 total.
    -Probably late June.
    -Planning a figure 8 from Keystone. CCW-South then CW-North.
    -We'll likely camp 2 nights (Hot Springs & Buffalo) and hotel the others.

-Thanks for the route closure updates. Wouldn't be surprised to find more of these this June.
    -Have you narrowed down your dates?
    -All camping or some mixture?

-Also, @32dgrz did you complete the 100 mile loop south of Edgemont? Is it worth making day one 275 miles instead of 175?
  7. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t do the Cheyenne River Crossing the water was extremely deep and fast the rest I did. If it’s important that you touch Nebraska do it if it’s not you can cut a crossed from Edgemont skipping the bottom and spend more time other places if I go again I doubt I would go all the way down to Nebraska. I think it’s important to be flexible with your timing rain could make many parts miserable
  8. Dratharr

Dratharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I could make this work out from a time perspective I would definitely be interested. I have wanted to do this ride since it’s inception.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did the Cheyenne River crossing. It was pretty deep. I wouldn't have done it. But we were with Blaster Bill and he said it was nothing and just went right thru it.

We all made it, but it was a bit tense. This was in October a couple of years ago.
  10. J.Austin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!

We're pretty comfortable assessing the river crossing and deciding but wasn't sure if the scenery south of Edgemont was worth the extra 100miles. We've all been through Nebraska plenty of times, so there's no need to cross that border, we'll likely skip that section and head straight for camp. A relaxing evening in camp adds a lot of value towards an enjoyable trip. Thanks again.

@Orangecicle are you still planning your DakAL trip this year? Dates?
  11. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    DakAL is my one trip I’m hoping to get in this year. It all depends on this Corona thing. What a mess. I have a medically fragile 21-yr-old at home and can’t risk exposing her to this thing. So . . . dates are toootally up in the air.

If you listen to the experts, what they are really saying is that they don’t want to overload the hospitals “right now” but that any hope of a vaccine is 12-18 months away. In other words, everybody gets sick over time. Yikes.
    wbbnm likes this.
  12. J.Austin

Oddometer:
    Yeah, agreed. We're planning for the last week of June, but it's difficult to know what even tomorrow brings, so we'll wait and see. I'm sure having an at risk family member makes the situation even less fun to manage, hang in there.

For a couple of us, this is our first multi-day bike trip with camping or hotels, so it brings whole new level of prep requirements. I'm a map/spreadsheet/preparation nerd, so hopefully we've got a decent plan. Will keep you posted.
  13. TrailGoat

TrailGoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, this would definitely be something I’d consider if trails chosen are inclusive towards ‘nimble-esque’ 500 pounders.

@Orangecycle knows my level of riding so I may take his cue here, no hard feelings...

Ultimately of course will depend on where we are with the virus (hoping for some semblance of normalcy as of weeks ago) and office commitments that may come up.