DAKAL in the next few weeks?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by LApilot, May 14, 2021.

1. LApilot

LApilot Nomad of the western states

Oddometer:
    I am waiting out the rain here in Rapid City so I can ride at least the southern end of the Dakota Adventure Loop. I understand it opens on May 15th and if we can get several days in a row without rain, I may give it a try.

Any advice for a desert rider from new Mexico? Anyone want to ride along?

Share your local wisdom...

Thanks,

John
  2. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on your trip! Give us a ride report once you're done. I'm planning on going in the fall. Have heard good things about DAKAL.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey John.

I rode it with a bunch of guys a few years ago. It is a very nice ride. We actually had the creator Blaster Bill riding with us. He wanted to do some exploring for future changes. So we did it.

Actually most of the ride is pretty similar to a lot of the Jemez, just lower in altitude.

Don't miss the long uphill south out of Sturgis. In fact except for Bear Mountain all of the noted hard sections were doable for me on a 690.

Beware of the Cheyenne river crossing. We did it, but it was pretty dicey.

One of the guys on a KLR could not made it up the hill on the east side of Bear Mountain due to really bad mud.

There is a gas issue with the Camp Crook? leg. They don't normally have gas but might have some squirreled away if you ask.

I have created some tracks for dirt bike day rides out of Hill City for just the Black Hills portion. The rides to the Nebraska and North Dakota borders were nice but for me not worth doing again.

Since this is Thursday, you have probably already done most if not all the ride.
  4. LApilot

Oddometer:
    It has rained here every day for the last 2 weeks. Today was a deluge that left lakes in parking lots. I rode 80 miles in the mud on Monday. Waiting for it to dry out to try it again.
  5. LApilot

Oddometer:
    20210517_093355.jpg 20210517_101706.jpg 20210517_091031.jpg 20210517_112311.jpg
    Themastermike and glfritz like this.
  6. glfritz

glfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics