Dakar Dazed II - the return! Part 1: Project LC4-50

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Jan 26, 2013.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    You are not wrong - we tapped the route into the GPS today, and from Rally Raid Products' HQ to Ancona it's 1091 miles, and that's the most direct route!

Not sure of the final route just yet, but I'm likely to skirt around the top of Switzerland through Austria, then head south from there...

I have to say, the bike feels fantastic now the fueling is properly sorted, and I had a good 'getting to know you' with it this afternoon under the watchful eye and direction of KTMmitch... I am now confident I can undertake any field repairs required - should the need arise of course - which I hope not!

Jx
  2. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny,

I would go via Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse, Charmonix-Mont-Blanc, then the Tunnel, Aosta, Vercelli, Tortona, Piacenza, Parma, Bologna to Ancona.
    The Austria Route is quite a bit longer and not cheaper in Road Toll.
    Maybe if you compare the road toll it might still be the same as buying the Swiss Vignette and go thru Switzerland?

If you get in trouble close to Switzerland and need assistance Donna has my mobile number and I can assist you.
    I will set off on the 1st of may late evening to Ancona from Zurich in a Van. Ferry in Ancona leaves on the 2nd at 2pm

cu
    Stefan
  3. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jenny,

Are you taking a ferry from Ancona to Greece?
    There are some pretty nice roads and sights down the Adriatic cost.
  4. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Just remembered,

If you go like I wrote above and you want something else than motorways, you can take the little St. Bernadino Pass instead of the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
    Is a very nice ride.
    Instead of going to Charmonix go further south to Albertville and there the D925. In Bourg-Saint-Maurice go north east on the D1090 which will become the SS26 on the Italian side. Once you hit the A5 in the Aosta Valley you are back on the way mentioned in my post above.

cu
    Stefan
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Stefan - thanks, that is actually pretty much the route we took down in the Van down to Genoa for the Tuareg, which is why I thought about mixing it up a little this time? - but it is a good point about the tolls going the Austrian way... I do believe John already has a Vignette I can use, so I may end up cutting through Switzerland after all.

Funny you mention the Little St. Bernadino Pass as an alternative - that is one of my favourite routes through the Alps - I went that way diagonally north east from south of Grenoble (Col du Glandon etc) - which I'm sure you know too!

I've got three days to get down to Ancona (the plan is to RV with the Torque trucks and KTMmitch who is flying in on the Thursday, and get the Friday 2nd sailing too) - so I'll have some time to pick more scenic roads, just not sure I want to be riding those passes so early in the year - brrrrrr!

See you soon, and thank you again!

Jenny xx
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yes, we are all meeting up on the Thursday in Ancona and getting the Friday sailing...

I have to say, I was tempted to ride the whole way down the east side as you suggest - I think Lukas and Lyndon are planning on doing that - but time constraints and team logistics mean I'll have to be in Ancona to meet up with KTMmitch and take the boat...

Of course once the rally is over, who knows how I'll head home*?!

*Just as long as it isn't in a damn helicopter like last time!!!

Jx
  7. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on it, half way across Germany now. Heading to Lukas's and then down the east side.....WOOT!

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/blog/category/wheres-lyndon
  8. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think you would want to get the "Support Lyndon" link on the AS site up and going at some point... I know some people would like to help out...

JG
  9. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As if the races themselves weren't enough, you :pynd's and :pynd'ettes gotta go and ride to the races! :bowA lot of us out here in the sticks (well, one at least :D) are following without ever saying much. Best wishes to all of you and remember ... NO HELICOPTER RIDES!!11!!!111
  10. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Jen,

Might you do the DAKAR SERIES 'DESAFIO INCA' event in Peru (where BlueBull and I work and live :norton) Sept 8-14, 2014 as a run-up for the Dakar 2015, then ship to BA from Lima for the big event?

I will be there with a group of 10 friends, on bikes out in the desert to cheer you on! :clap:clap:clap
  11. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hot news from Torque Racing Team Truck is that they met up with Jenny & the LC4-50 in France and passed through the Monte Blanc tunnel into Switzerland last night, hoping to rv with them on Thursday after flying into Ancona, Italy, to catch the ferry to Greece with the team.
    Go Jenny....
  12. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great progress!!
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just checking in from sunny (not!) Ancona!

Had an 'eventful' couple of days riding down - including getting thoroughly soaked THREE times today... Grrrrr, Europe in springtime ;o)

Bike has been going great - had a problem with the fuel injector at the end of the first day - limped to my hotel (a marathon 2-day liaison stage with a remote bivouac for bikes...) and swapped it for a spare in the carpark the following morning - good job John has stashed all the essential spares around the 'mothership'!

Some big distances through Europe so far - 741kms on the first day, 683kms yesterday and another 598kms today - that is over 2000kms since leaving Rally Raid HQ on Monday... The LC4-50 really munches the miles - I can't imagine a 450cc enduro coping so well - it sits all day at 130kmh, and you don't feel you're stressing it - sweet!

It is even quite comfortable on the stock seat, although I think I might have to speak to James Renazco when I get back ;o)

Interestingly, 2000kms is approximately half the liaison distance of Dakar, so together with a week racing in Greece and another 2000kms home, it will be a great test of longevity and reliability... Of both bike and rider!

More soon...

Jx
  14. h2o_snow

h2o_snow Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer:
    Long time follower.

You go Jenny :clap - very interested to see how the bike sorts out.
  15. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Love the update and relating to the " little fixes" it takes to keep the LC4-50 show on the road. All the best Jenny!
  16. dakardood

dakardood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big cup of best wishes to all of you from back in Blighty!

The LC4-50 is gonna be the Kalashnikov of bikes!

F5'ing, F5'ing, F5'ing! :clap

17. TA-Zappa

TA-Zappa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you put the magic number 1000+ miles, to really test the bike and the rider why not make a run for a SS1000 on the way home. :evil

/Zappa
  18. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    JMo and the bike in action

[​IMG]
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's the ride home going?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Sparrowhawk!

I actually got back last week - blitzed back from Italy in a couple of 800+km days - wet (sleet and snow!) in Switzerland, but otherwise uneventful...

The bike really is very good at long liaison - the Hellas features a lot of tough technical riding on the special stages, and by the end of the week I don't think there were many riders who would have considered riding their race-bike home again after that!

At the final tally, the bike covered the best part of 6000kms in a little over two weeks, including 4000kms of liaison, which is the equivalent of the Dakar liaison distance - so a good indication of how [fresh/tired] the rider is going to feel going into the specials... and how the bike is likely to react to hours of slogging at high/constant revs in between the fun parts...

Oh, and if anyone needed any more convincing about the strength and reliability of the LC4-50 engine - we didn't even change (or top up) the oil!

I'm going through a few photos at the moment, and will put together a more comprehensive ride report as soon as I can!

Toot toot!

Jx