Dakar Improved - Time for a big adv bike class again?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HeatedCheese, Nov 9, 2018.

1. HeatedCheese

HeatedCheese n00b

Oddometer:
    Originally it was cited that cost concerns were the reason for decreasing displacement in Dakar, and it seems understandable. A multitude of manufacturers made 450's of some sort, and with the move to tighter trails and roads this size of bike has ultimately proved successful.

However, in the interest of improving competition and interest I think its time to bring big bikes back in a separate class. Never before have there been so many dirt worthy machines of large displacement. A production based class full of AT's, 1090 adventures (or 790's!), BMW f800's, Triumph Tiger's, and T700's would be exceptionally more relevant to the typical rider that follows these races. Not to mention, if production rules were implemented (stock frame, engine cases, and suspension tubes/shock bodies like AMA pro mx) this would be a huge driver for driving the off road capabilities of large adv bikes that are monsters both on and off road without breaking the bank.

Obviously, the fastest pro's would still be on their 450 rally weapons, but as a support class, why not?
    Rockred likes this.
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe it was due to the death of Fabrizio Meoni that the final decision was made to drop the max engine size down to 450cc. The big bikes had top speeds that were too dangerous in the officials eyes.

Now with 450 rally bikes making near the same HP as 690cc I do not see that the Dakar management will ever allow 1000cc back in that race.
  3. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'd be wild to see open class ADV bikes blasting 120+ mph in smooth dirt, but also incredibly dangerous.
  4. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I failed to mention that Meoni was on the KTM 950 Rally when his accident happened. Riders with less ability riding a higher HP and heavier bike would seemingly be a recipe for trouble I think.
  5. HeatedCheese

HeatedCheese n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah makes sense. I remember the accident but never put the two together I guess. Oh well, I'll keep on dreaming anyways!
  6. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you look in the Racing section here there seems to be a large number rallys around the world that do allow the big bikes. Our own Lyndon Poskitt has competed in most of them on his 700+cc KTM RFR.
  7. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, yes.....the nanny state. even though you know the risks involved, somebody else needs to intervene on your behalf. swell. the nanny state has been the boon of racing everywhere and across the board.
    Rockred and Wadefishr8 like this.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 RonS says I am BSC, scorched earth or something

Oddometer:
    The 450s are already going 110km/h ~110mph.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    So which "State" do you think is nannying Dakar competitors? The Dakar organizers are free to make whatever rules they like - and if you wanted to start your own off-road race, you could do likewise.