Dakar Improved - Time for a big adv bike class again?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HeatedCheese, Nov 9, 2018.

1. HeatedCheese

HeatedCheese n00b

Oddometer:
    Originally it was cited that cost concerns were the reason for decreasing displacement in Dakar, and it seems understandable. A multitude of manufacturers made 450's of some sort, and with the move to tighter trails and roads this size of bike has ultimately proved successful.

However, in the interest of improving competition and interest I think its time to bring big bikes back in a separate class. Never before have there been so many dirt worthy machines of large displacement. A production based class full of AT's, 1090 adventures (or 790's!), BMW f800's, Triumph Tiger's, and T700's would be exceptionally more relevant to the typical rider that follows these races. Not to mention, if production rules were implemented (stock frame, engine cases, and suspension tubes/shock bodies like AMA pro mx) this would be a huge driver for driving the off road capabilities of large adv bikes that are monsters both on and off road without breaking the bank.

Obviously, the fastest pro's would still be on their 450 rally weapons, but as a support class, why not?
    Bloodmouse and Rockred like this.
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe it was due to the death of Fabrizio Meoni that the final decision was made to drop the max engine size down to 450cc. The big bikes had top speeds that were too dangerous in the officials eyes.

Now with 450 rally bikes making near the same HP as 690cc I do not see that the Dakar management will ever allow 1000cc back in that race.
  3. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'd be wild to see open class ADV bikes blasting 120+ mph in smooth dirt, but also incredibly dangerous.
  4. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I failed to mention that Meoni was on the KTM 950 Rally when his accident happened. Riders with less ability riding a higher HP and heavier bike would seemingly be a recipe for trouble I think.
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  5. HeatedCheese

HeatedCheese n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah makes sense. I remember the accident but never put the two together I guess. Oh well, I'll keep on dreaming anyways!
  6. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you look in the Racing section here there seems to be a large number rallys around the world that do allow the big bikes. Our own Lyndon Poskitt has competed in most of them on his 700+cc KTM RFR.
  7. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, yes.....the nanny state. even though you know the risks involved, somebody else needs to intervene on your behalf. swell. the nanny state has been the boon of racing everywhere and across the board.
    Rockred and Wadefishr8 like this.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The 450s are already going 180km/h ~110mph.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    So which "State" do you think is nannying Dakar competitors? The Dakar organizers are free to make whatever rules they like - and if you wanted to start your own off-road race, you could do likewise.
  10. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vast and continual improvements in the safety of motorsports allow the sport to continue. Without the constant pressure to improve safety, motorsports would have gone the way of chariot races long ago. Thanks nannies (like Sir Jackie Stewart).
    Bloodmouse likes this.
  11. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having raced in stage rallies (four wheels) and helped with organizing them also, a MAJOR consideration is liability and its flip-side, insurance. If you are the event organizer, and your are working with governments -- which typically own the all the roads (public paved or forestry) -- there are lots of risks you try to minimize. Speed caps are one of them -- and engine displacement or fuel/air restrictors -- help to do this. There is evidence (and common sense :) too that as speeds increase things "get real." As a competitor in Targa Tasmania, Targa NZ and others, it is still intensely fun despite there being a top speed of 200km/h -- and you are only there for a few seconds on a straight... the best rally roads are twisty anyway. Back to Dakar... the rules are the organizers way to control risk -- and bad PR is part of that risk (eg spectators or competitors dying).
    neanderthal and double_entendre like this.
  12. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    When Meoni died in 2005, he was on an LC4 bike and twin cylinder bikes where already been banned.
  13. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    This wasn't really a case of Nanny state is was a case of all the guys capable of riding them were dead or grateful to not have to ride them anymore. With a full tank of gas at the beginning of the stages the bikes were really heavy but still fast. Shit could get out of hand really fast. Peterhansel wept when he got off the big bikes for the last time relieved he would never have to ride one again.
  14. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Everybody has a choice. if you don't like the rules, dont ride. nobody HAS to ride this event as you suggest., they choose to. if it is beyond somebody's comfort level, don't do it. when folks watch racing, they to it for a reason...to watch the best compete. if that means watching 10 dudes do it....so be it. I would rather watch and support 10 capable guys then 100 mediocre guys.
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Dakar organizer's are French, right?
    That's why they were intimidated to leave Africa by terrorists.
    That's why the 450 restriction was put in place too late in S. America. Many competitors had already shipped their 690's. When KTM threatened to pull ALL of its support they let it slide for one more year.

I say, back to Africa, Big bikes and fully armed. Winner fights to the finish!
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    This is a dumb take.
    Prmurat likes this.
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meant for humor only.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ASO has been limiting different classes for some time. Speed limits on the big T-4 trucks are a prime example. There are already more than enough classes in the event, an additional big bike class will add nothing to the event.

"In the interest in improving competition......" If you can be competitive on a big bike you can be competitive on a 450. Being first in a class of 10 riders is not nearly as competitive as being first in a class of 50 riders. There is already little coverage of the "lesser/smaller classes, you would most likely not see much to allow you to really follow what is happening.

The race will never go back to Africa, there is too much money to be made by the ASO in South America, or maybe you haven't noticed the difference in the size of the spectator crowds?
  19. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Well, it's not funny, and it's still dumb.
  20. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    The spectators just stand at the side of the road. They don't pay to be there. There is no relationship between the Dakar spectators and their profit.