Dakar Improved - Time for a big adv bike class again?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HeatedCheese, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really think that the ASO doesn't make any money from the larger spectator population in South America? There are more ways to make money off of spectators than selling tickets.
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Sure there are ways to capitalise on the crowd. T shirt sales, brochure sales, trinkets etc.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Believe me the ASO is more about making money and capitalizing on the locals now than ever. The locals on routes through Africa were so poor it was common for team members to give away their dirty clothes. The rights for TV coverage in South America are also a big money maker for the ASO as the South Americans love racing. Moving to South America opened up a huge new market.

Many of the teams also like South America better than Africa as they now get to spend almost every night in Hotels.

It ain't about to go back to Africa any time soon.
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how easy it is to turn this in a money discussion... anyone heard about what’s happening In Mauritania, Mali, Niger or even the north of Senegal??? I know coverage on local TVs are scarce in the US but news are available everywhere!!!