Dakar Rally Slideshow, Nov 13 in SF

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by lastplace, Oct 25, 2004.

1. lastplace

lastplace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy,
    Saturday Night, Nov. 13 at the SFMC, 18th and Folsom in San Francisco: I'll be showing some slides of last year's Dakar and this year's prep, telling stories and answering questions. All you want to know about bing a low-budget rally racer! I'll have some t-shirts for sale, some goodies to give away, and we'll select the Grand Prize winner of our raffle for a trip to Barcelona to be part of our support team in Europe! I'll also be thanking all those who have supported me in these 2 attempts at Dakar!

Festivities should start around 8. The bar will be open. Please come on by and check it out!

fun fun
    Charlie

PS, if you can't make that, then come to the ASBN meeting on Monday night, November 1 for a preview. Straw Hat Pizza in San Leandro: starts around 7:30.
  2. Stomp

Stomp Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    I've seen a handful of your pics at Robb's slideshow, but I'll be looking forward to more in depth show. Good stuff! :thumb

BTW, all the rest of you should enter the raffle to help Charlie out, but just know that I'm going to win it! :lol3
  3. Noguz

Noguz Rest in peace, William.

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an evening well spent. It's open to the public?

I'd sure like to see the slide show. Sounds like it's worth a hunnerd mile ride to the big city.
  4. Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How can I buy a raffle without being there? Or will you you being doing another one in San Diego? :lol3
  5. Kuhndog

Kuhndog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a bit out of your area so I can't make it to any slide shows, but I would love to hear more about taking on the Dakar.

Do you have a website that offers any of the details or photos?

I am very curious as to how much it costs. The magic number I have heard for a privateer is $70K. Is that realistic? Any info would be appreciated.
  6. lastplace

lastplace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    Everyone is welcome to the slideshow.
    Anyone can buy a raffle ticket by visiting www.usaDakar2005.com and following the instructions in the text near the bottom of the first page. We really need and appreciate the grass roots support!
    Dakar budget? Well, I am convinced that it can be done for under $25,000, including some mechanical support, but a lot of busting your ass to get things done cheap. That would be on XR650 Hondas. This year, we got a great sponsor (PAI) that really wanted us to ride KTMs. KTMs are a bit more expensive, so our budget is more. Most privateers I have spoken to spend around $70-100K. In the last 2 years I have learned enough about Dakar prep, finances, tricks and shortcuts for privateers that I could write a book. Actually, I do plan to write it all down next spring. Even some of the non-racing stories are incredible!
    Come to the slideshow and ask me whatever you would like!
    There's more info at www.usaDakar2005.com.
    I have nothing planned outside the Bay Area, but I'd be happy to try to line something up. Kevin Heath is from San Diego and he is entered in the Dakar this year as well. There is info about all 4 American privateers at www.teamusadakaradventure.com. Check it out.
    fun fun
    Charlie