Dakota Adventure Loop (DakAL) 900 miles. Mt. Rushmore. South Dakota.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by blasterbill, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Stalspeed

Stalspeed PullnG'sTillTheyPuke

Oddometer:
    We'll all be on big bikes (500-1200cc)...if the weather cooperates I even laid out some single track sections for us. Can anyone (SD local) confirm that the "gumbo" is in the badlands and not on the DaKaL, even though the mud is beyond ruthless as per okoyote's RR? Regardless of how bad the weather might be, we are ready for anything that Mother Nature will throw at us and excited to see the beautiful back country of SD!
  2. redwine65

redwine65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this video that shows the different types of terrain. I like them dirt trails that wind thru the trees you can fly down, the most.
  3. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    From Hill City down to Edgemont you will find some challenging riding for the bigger bikes. We did it on 650s that were loaded with luggage. We were worn out at the end of the day. YMMV.
    This video above looks like a pretty fast pace. Expert level riders we are not, but we are 40 somethings with good experience. If I would have had my Africa Twin, I would have reached Edgemont after dark, not before. I am not saying you can't do it on big bikes, but I am saying you should be prepared. Of course weather can change all of our best laid plans too...HAVE FUN and be SAFE!
  4. Stalspeed

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend some camping spots (primitive or established) just south of Edgemont? We are planning on following BlasterBill's mileage recommendations per day and are thinking that if we can get to Edgemont on day 1, replenish supplies (gas, water, food), that we'll camp just past that. Looks desolate but pretty once you get through Edgemont. The plan is to camp every night.

Looks like there is a small river right (along the train tracks) around Ft. Igloo that might work or possibly a small lake/large pond off of Co Hwy 7b (15 miles south of Edgemont along the GPS tracks)....any advice?
  5. Stalspeed

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if you can get supplies (food/water) or is there a general store in Ludlow?
  6. cfr

cfr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning question. I have three bikes. Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, and KLR650. Which one for this trip? I'm guessing DRZ400.
  7. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any condition updates from anyone that's been out there on the loop this year? We're heading out on Saturday. It looks like it is raining less so conditions are hopefully moving from spring-wet to summer.

I should thank Blaster Bill for the creation and Sleddog for the further thread guidance in advance. We are really looking forward to it! Wish I could do the Dakota 600 for both the ride and support of the effort; maybe next year. Keep up the good work!
  8. Lonesome Dave

Lonesome Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bark Sampler, I would say your spot on. Moving from spring to summer conditions. Most everything should be fine. Although the back side of Bear Mountain was very muddy two weeks ago.
    We still get the thundershowers and sometimes hail in the afternoons. Temp this weekend looks to be low 90s. I would bet next week will be dusty.
    DakotaDualSportRiders.com will be having their spring rally at Fish n Fry at the end of next week (June 15 - 18) if you still in the area. At least stop by and say Hi.
  9. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on Bear Mtn. I may have us do that part as late as possible. Mud isn't my kind of fun.

I'm planning on attending the Dakota Dual Sport Ride after our loop assuming both body and bike are functional. I intentionally talked everyone into doing our ride that week so I could tack the DDSR ride on at the end, even packed an extra set of tires just in case I need to freshen up a bit.

The rest of the group I'm doing the ride with is leaving me behind so I'll be at the DDSR ride solo. Hoping I can hook up with a ride group for safety's sake. I'll be on an XR250L and camping, no truck at that point. The weather looks fantastic and it should be spring time green. Oops, shouldn't have commented on weather.
  10. ttaylor137

ttaylor137 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We just got back last night.....rode from Sunday to Thursday. Conditions were great. Minimal trees down, not much rain at all (at least that effected the trails), ran into some hail and pouring rain leaving Rushmore area on Monday....LOL...Sunday, Bear Mtn was perfect (up and Down).....We did do some single track in Hill City that posed about 100 yards of mud that was troublesome for our big bikes (Vstroms, KLR, TransAlp, CB500x and Tenere). A ride report will be completed in due time, along with a video production of our ride, so I will spare any details of our trip in this post. But as for trail conditions, they were near perfect!

IMG_5986.JPG
    Stalspeed likes this.
  11. Stalspeed

Oddometer:
    I was on the trip with TTaylor and that pic doesn't do the trail justice with how steep it actually is. The pic above is not part of the DAKAL and is some ST that we ventured off for (with big bikes and panniers.....:lol3). Kudos go out to the creators (BlasterBill, Sleddog, whoever else that worked on it) of the DAKAL, because this has to be some of the best riding I've ever done on a big bike! Just the variety alone was amazing to include camping every night in random locales. If you need any specifics that the DAKAL website doesn't offer, ask away. More than willing to accommodate and help out!
  12. mrfixit54016

Oddometer:
    Mltrnsplnt

Did you find a place to camp near Edgemont?
    Stalspeed likes this.
  13. ttaylor137

ttaylor137 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll do my best to describe where we camped out of Edgemont........but if you turned right out of the north end of town onto HWY18 there will be a state trail off to your left after a few miles on 18.....it has a fence you have to unfasten. We found a somewhat secluded spot on the edge of a cliff in that area. Best I can do for ya!.....Hope it helps

Great Burger at the Hat Creek Bar and Grill with very helpful and friendly owners! He actually offered us a place to camp outside the back of his bar (small pond and peninsula) and keep the bar/biergarten OPEN for us as long as we wanted....LOL.....we wished to be a bit more out of sight, out of mind.

[​IMG]
  14. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    That was our group. The trip was a blast. Every part was awesome. I thought it would be disappointing because we did the COBDR and UTBDR the year before. I'd go rite back and do it again. The people there were also super nice.
  15. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    I also have a video of the single track we road at the end of the DAKAL.
    redwine65 and ttaylor137 like this.
  16. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    They must of made the video Crossing Dakota after we were there. You could see the black rubber plates we laid down so we could cross the washout. It was pretty hairy.
  17. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
  18. Stalspeed

Oddometer:
    Here's an aerial shot of the pic that ttaylor137 posted above! Yeah, we found a spot and what a sweet spot it was. DJI_0014.JPG
  19. Stalspeed

Oddometer:
    One disclaimer for people planning on doing this trip...if you hit rain, it'll be difficult to complete the full loop. We had beautiful conditions for 95% of the trip and were moving quickly which equated to about 8-10 hours in the saddle per day. If there was rain, no way could we have gone as fast and as far as we did everyday. We were normally on the road by 9am and at our campsite by 5/6pm (which includes stopping for a meal throughout the day at a restaurant). On one part, can't remember where but we were hauling the mail (awesome damp conditions with LOTS of traction) through the woods which acted like a canopy overhead on a trail that winded along a river and then climbed a mountain...as we got to the top, we hit a 100 yard section of the trail that everyone in my group will call GUMBO! It was only about 1-3 inches deep, but it caked your tires so hard that it felt like you were riding on ice and which also locked my front tire up due to how much mud was packed between the tire and the fender. Luckily it didn't rip it off, but that 100 yard section took my group of 7 probably about an hour or so just to navigate to the other side past all the shit! Here's a parting shot of one of the tires, but that wasn't that even that bad...wish we had some other ones of locked brakes, fenders, tires, etc. Matt gumbo.jpg
    ttaylor137 and Sleddog like this.
  20. mrfixit54016

Oddometer:
    Great Photo!
    Stalspeed likes this.