Dakota Adventure Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SD113, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. buddy10mm

buddy10mm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Digging Gumbo"... TOTALLY!!!
    Anyone who hasn't done the Black Hills needs to see them! No, they're not the Rockies (I live in Utah), but they've got their own incredible beauty. My wife is from SD, and we go there several times a year. The Hills are wonderful. Thanks for the RR!
    JB2 and Ladybug like this.
  2. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I worry the black hills will become the next Bozeman. The hills suck! South Dakota sucks! Tell all you friends!
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha Right? I remember being out there one summer about 5 years ago. Outside Magazine was looking for nominations for their annual "Best Mountain Towns" article. There was some chatter about nominating Spearfish or maybe it had already been nominated. There was a louder campaign to NOT vote for Spearfish. Shhhhh! Keep the secret. Lol.
  4. buddy10mm

buddy10mm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh that's right! The Black Hills are TERRIBLE!! Especially the food and people and scenery! Whatever you do, don't go there! I'll take one for the team and go myself...
    jdfog2 likes this.
  5. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have land by Pactola lake. Plan on building in 6 years. I can't wait. Love it there. It's own special place in the world.
  6. buddy10mm

buddy10mm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jealousy... rising!
    My brother in law has a "place" in the Hills. I have yet to go there because of work schedules. All I know is, every time I see pictures, I go a little green. I agree - the Hills are their "own special place"! I love the Rockies, I love the desert, but the Hills are something special.
    SD113 likes this.
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Sorry, it's already been discovered. The Jackpine Gypsies have been showing thousands of motorcyclist the Black Hills and SD every year since 1936: https://sturgis.com/resources/about...oting the racing,club is still running strong.

I've been there a few times and it is a great place for people watching. Riding is much better any other time of the year than the first week of Aug. :D
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  8. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True...but the "discovery" I'm referring to involves ridiculous land prices, taxes, and "better ways" of doing things...good coffee usually though.
    Ladybug likes this.
  9. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    If conditions are dry and I ride around the more technical areas of the Dakal mentioned in earlier posts, which route is less technical, IDBDR or Dakal?
  10. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phil8dirt,

I haven't done the IDBDR yet so I cannot answer. It's on my short list however. I would however encourage you to try the more technical sections of the DAKAL because they are awesome. Are you planning the ride with others or solo? Also nice bike!
  11. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to decide where to go with my daughter for a 1 week trip this summer. I'm on a big bike with modest skills and my daughter has street experience but no off road. I'm looking at getting a 2nd smaller bike so kids/friends who don't have an adv bike can come on Adv rides with me.
  12. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! My wife started riding again and my oldest son. I'm excited to do similar trips someday with my kids/wife. I'm terrible off road and I thought my Vstrom 650 was too big in certain sections. Were I with my wife I would have avoided those sections. No reason to get hurt way out there and ruin the experience. I bet you and your daughter would really enjoy the Black Hills even if you didn't do all the DAKAL, there is just so many options to see cool things. Does she currently have her own bike? I think a DR650 would be just about ideal for the DAKAL and I have my sights on a KTM adventure 390 for my wife. A CRF 250L would do it just fine as would a Xt250. Are you planning on trailering out there? Speed really isn't a big deal on the route but clearance, some off road ability and fuel range can be. 70% of the time I was totally happy with my Strom 30% of the time I was lucky.
  13. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    If your vstrom 650 was too big at times, my r1200 wii definitely be a challenge. No matter, I have no problem going around sections beyond my skill. I was thinking of looking at a BMW F650, 750 or 800. I've also ridden the vstrom 650, 1000 and supertenre 1200 in the past, all great bikes as well. I will likely trailer the bikes, riding across the Plains is not on my bucket list anymore (I've already done that enough)
  14. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, coming from MN across SD can be brutal. In your shoes I would trailer as well. I've always heard those R1200's handle amazing off road but they are so nice I'd be terrified of dropping one. That F650 is nice and light and has a low seat height. Reliable I've heard also. Cool bikes. If you have never done "Mountain" trail riding the Black Hills are a great place to start. Were it me I'd make Hill City my base and do day rides from there.
  15. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2 cents. I think smaller bikes are better suited for the complete adventure loop and I wouldn't take a person with little or no off road experience on it. The point is to have fun and large bikes and a lack of experience doesn't sound like its headed to fun. The rocky sections of the loop can be challenging. That being said there are hundreds maybe thousands of miles of of easy trails and fun gravel roads to enjoy there. In all my years of going to Sturgis I never took the time to see or ride on many of the great roads in the black hills. Wind River Caves park, Custer State Park,Spearfish Cannon just to name a few. I enjoyed the solitude of the loop up from Bell Fourche up to Camp Crook. That isn't a trip I would do if its wet. Then through the "roads" part of South and North Cave hills. I wouldn't try Slim Buttes although it was one of my favorite parts of the loop. There are some nice gravel roads down to Hoover and Sturgis. A month isn't enough time to enjoy the Black Hills. One more thing tourist season is a busy time there. I prefer the first or second week of Sept. I too based out of Hill City. Stayed at Spring Creek Inn. Dixie is a gem of a person and allowed me to leave my truck there while I did the loop.
  16. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    25 years of vacationing in the Black Hills. Forest Road riding. BRILLANT.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done both and would say they are comparable in terms of difficulty. I found neither very hard on my KTM 690, except for the road up the east side of Bear Mountain on the DAKAL. It was so slick muddy you could not stand up. But somehow I was making it. But others in the group needed to turn back.

And crossing the Cheyenne river down south was a bit tense.

The IBDR probably has better scenery with the major rivers one encounters. The IBDR seemed to be nearly all mountains. The DAKAL had much more variety of terrain and scenery.
    SD113 likes this.
  18. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Rode the DAKAL on a DR650 and the following year on a WR250R. The 250 was much more enjoyable. We had one guy on a 1200 GS and another on a KTM 950. They both ride big bikes a lot on tough dirt routes and had a few get offs. I live in Colorado and the DAKAL is my all time favorite ride. However, I would rather ride the Great Plains any day over the mountains......it’s just special
    SD113 likes this.
  19. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Here one of my dreams is to do the colorado BDR. Good insight. If I trailed I think a 250 would be my choice. Zero reason to go much over 60 that whole route.
    randingo likes this.
  20. rws53

rws53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I downloaded from that link an XML file opened in Firefox with meaningless text....same thing happened when downloaded with Chrome and Explorer. In Firefox to obtain the GPX file from this text I did this: File>Save Page As:>changed the file name extension from XML to GPX saving it in a Folder on my harddrive. Then I opened the GPX file in Garmin Mapsource (BaseCamp works good too) to view the trails over US Topo. Mapsurce also has the feature to view the trails in Google Earth by clicking: View>View in Google Earth...

Of course you can load the GPX file into most any mapping app.