Dakota Adventure Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SD113, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. philstrailgnome

philstrailgnome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We just wrapped up a DakAL-ish loop today and had an absolute BLAST. Started in Edgemont and up through Hot Springs (Cheyenne River crossing was super low), Custer State Park, Needles Hwy, wrapped around west end of Pactola (the road north out of Silver City is an absolute highlight), Nemo, Deadwood, Stugis, Belle Fourche, over to Devil's Tower and back to Cement Ridge, Hill City, Bear Mtn and back to Edgemont. Spectacular. Big winds up by Belle Fourche and got into some seriously technical adventure riding between Pactola and Nemo as we had to re-route because of some route closures.
    We have ridden the COBDR, most of UTBDR and a load of adventure riding, and the DakAL is one of the best!!! Spectacular scenery and some spicy spots for sure. Rock on!!
    snglfin, randingo and 32dgrz like this.
  2. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    philstrailgnome,

Awesome! Glad you had fun. Yes this year is probably ideal for it. Did you do it on one of the KTM's? How does it compare skill wise and technical travel wise to the Utah BDR? I will be heading that way next year and am seriously considering doing part or all of it but I will still have the VStrom 650 if did the DAKAL with.
  3. philstrailgnome

Oddometer:
    Hey there,
    Did it on my 990. We had a 690, a 790, a DR650 and two 800GSA's as the posse. One highside dump that resulted in a broken mirror on the 790 in the super rocky technical section between Pactola and Nemo, other than that pretty clean runs.
    As for the UTBDR, outside of the Lockhart Basin stretch, it is not super technical, except for the sand!!! Go in spring or fall (recommended to do fall, so you do not have to deal with late snow closures), just do not plan on summer for the UTBDR. The desert is blazing hot then!
    COBDR overall is quite a bit more technical.
    PM me anytime and I can give a longer run down on options!!!
    Keep smiling!
  4. Idahopilot

Idahopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, do I LOVE/MISS South Dakota. Thanks for the pics and ride report.
  5. dbrettneville

dbrettneville Parkerider

Oddometer:
    We just finished riding the Dakaota Adventure Loop (6/8/2020 - 6/11/2020) and did it in 4 days (KTM 690 Enduro R and KTM 1190 Adventure). The Southern Loop is a BLAST and the Northern Loop SUCKS! Why...because the Southern Loop is in the Beautiful Black Hills and the Route is FUN with INTERESTING SIGHTS and some CHALLENGING Sections. The Northern Loop is BORING, you could drive your grandma's Buick on the entire gravel road route. Yes, there are Road Closures and Bridge Closures...IGNORE them...the Road Closures are there to keep the ATVs/UTVs out of the Mud Holes and the Closed Bridges are safe enough to cross on your two wheeled bike, we had no problems with these closures. Enjoy!
    philstrailgnome and Ladybug like this.
  6. philstrailgnome

Oddometer:
    Was the main route between Pactola and Nemo still closed, and if so, did you re-route over the super technical rock garden?? We did that three weeks ago and wow!! Great fun but definitely techy!!!
    TOTALLY agree on assessment of the northern half. We did not even do it, just cut across at Belle Fourche and added a loop out to Devil's Tower, and back in to Cement Ridge. Totally worthy alternative!!!!
    Black Hills portion is so awesome - no need to blast for days on flat gravel roads on the northern portion.
    :)
  7. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Having done it twice, I agree that the Hills are sweet, but I enjoy the vast emptiness and real South Dakota feeling of the northern part every bit as much. However, coming from Colorado, I’m a huge fan of the Great Plains.
    Just say’n......
    32dgrz likes this.
  8. SD113

SD113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mmm...you rode the entire northern section of the DAKAL? Grandma's got a kick ass Buick that can make it through the Slim Buttes, but I'm sure it's possible. The northern route was some of the best I thought, so removed from everything. I wouldn't dissuade people from taking the northern route, yes it is different, but that is the beauty of the DAKAL, very diverse terrain. As far as road closures go...I guess I kind of thought that applied to me also. Next time.
    randingo and 32dgrz like this.