1. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This coming November we'll be visiting America, flying into Dallas then driving to Los Angeles. Time is limited so we can't deviate too much, but I'd appreciate any hints on things to see and visit along the way?
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start with the Grand Canyon, south rim with major tourism, north rim for more ADVenture, and Toroweep Overlook for Maximum ADVenture !
  3. ClimbingFool

ClimbingFool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be the route I'd take...Gives a little bit of everything, albeit with a large meander at the start. -> http://bit.ly/2YyPN3S
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the first thing to know is there is little of ‘wow factor’ in western AZ state. Thus your choices become a little more constrained to areas east/north of Phoenix back towards TX, and then they improve somewhat as you enter CA. Much depends on how far off the ‘straight & narrow’ you want to go, and if you want to see ‘touristy toens’, or National Parks, or?

Places I’ve been to or ridden I would want to see again include:

Museum if the Pacific in Fredericksburg TX. In fact all of Hill Country around there is pretty cool.

Taos NM
    Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe NM
    Carlsbad Cavern NM
    White Sands NM

Any National Parks in Southern Utah but particularly Zion and Arches.
    Moab UT

Route 191 in AZ from Morenci to Eagar
    North (or south) rim of Grand Canyon

Death Valley CA
    Temecula CA winery area
  5. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    ClmbingFool laid out a pretty decent route that doesn't deviate that much from the straight shot. Texas has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so take the fastest roads you can to get to the Rockies and then get off the interstates and take in the sights. Colorado is definitely worth the detour and that puts all the awesome parks in southern Utah within reach. Better to go to the north rim of Grand Canyon because on the south side, your kinda stuck as there's not a lot else worth seeing and it's a looong way around to get north of the Grand Canyon.
    spafxer and Motorius like this.