1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Dalton / Deadhorse Alaska- Early July 2020 - Anyone Going?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AUTOT3K, Feb 9, 2020.

1. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,
    I am planning to do the trip in early July 2020, I'll probably leave my area (Calgary AB July 4).
    The couple people I was planning to go with are probably going to flake so I thought I'd put out a feeler and see if anyone will be on the road at that time.

Due to time off and what not, I don't really have time to make a month long journey out of this unfortunately, so I'll probably be in Fairbanks by the end of the 4th day, so about July 7, then I've allotted 2 days to deadhorse and 2 days back (to Fairbanks) HOWEVER if roads are fine and ground can be covered i'd be going to deadhorse in 1 day.

I know most of the trip is fairly civilized so that's why I wanted to see if anyone would be doing the Fairbanks to deadhorse stretch at that same time as having an extra set of helping hands if needed is never a bad thing.

thanks!
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  2. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am heading from the MOA rally in Montana at the end of June and then headed up to Banff and from there may head up to Alaska...Still in the planning mode. Will keep your run in mind...Coming in from Michigan
  3. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    Well enjoy the Banff area (that's about an hour from me)
    Let me know closer to the dates what you end up deciding to do!
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am sure you will encounter lots of other riders doing the Dalton. The times we have ridden it we saw about a hundred bikes a day. Your two days up and back is what we do and it is a relaxed pace. There is a bunch of scenery to take in you might not to rush it :-) Lot's of riders have done it in one day I would suggest if you want to do it in one day do that on the southbound return after you have experienced the marbles they build the road with. Have a great trip!
    bobw likes this.
  5. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will due...looks like we will be up there around June 29 or so...Peak of tourist season??
  6. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Banff area including lake louise is pretty well always peak tourist season. June - august is definitely the busiest though.
    If you get to the area and the Banff traffic is backed up like an hour to even get into the town just go to Canmore instead. Not as awesome as Banff but same stores and same mountain backdrop downtown.

Grizzlypaw in canmore brews in house and also has a really good selection of sodas they brew.
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, if you stay at the University of Alaska dorms in Fairbanks just before heading north, you will find several other riders there planning the same ride. Another place to meet riders is at the Hilltop Truck Stop at Mile 6 (or thereabouts) on the Elliott Hwy near the beginning of your trip. That's always been the first stop on my trips north. Gas and a big breakfast to get me on the way.

You'll usually meet more riders at Coldfoot. Being that it is over 500 miles from Fairbanks to Deadhorse, even if 100 riders are headed north the same day, they will be spread over quite a distance. But if you are traveling slowly (generally recommended for a first-timer) you are almost certain to find yourself with some other riders somewhere along the way. In a mechanical emergency, just wait for a while and someone will be along. Same in case of a medical emergency, although the wait in that case might be longer than you'd like.

I've frequently traveled that road all night, leaving Deadhorse after dinner, taking my time, and having breakfast in Coldfoot, arriving in Fairbanks nearly 24 hours after leaving Deadhorse. You don't have to hurry (which is never advisable), just ride steady. During the summer, it's daylight for 24 hours up there.
    bobw likes this.
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last summer there were reports that UAF was no longer allowing travelers to stay during the summer months.
  9. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's a bummer! Guess when Kevin left, there was no one to speak for motorcycle travelers any more. At least there's no shortage of motels in Fairbanks. I usually stayed at the Super 8 before UAF became available, but never saw that many other riders there.
  10. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was trying to find info about this on their site and couldn't find any mention of it unfortunately!
  11. zachd

zachd cruisin' along

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of planning my route right now. Shooting for Late June/Early July Departure. Headed out of Phoenix AZ solo.
  12. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North america bottom to top sounds pretty good!
    Are you thinking of coming up into Alberta or would you go through British Columbia?
  13. zachd

zachd cruisin' along

Oddometer:
    Going North through BC, and back down South through Alberta and going into Jasper and Banff
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    9775E2E1-A866-4682-9B9D-4896AC121E9F.jpeg You need to apply in advance for a UAF dorm. We were denied last year but others after us were approved. It may be a function of timing, what academic visitors they are hosting at specific times, and staffing levels.

The Super8 in Fairbanks is fine. Half dozen others riders stayed there when we were there. It’s an average Super8 - not bad, not great. Was relatively inexpensive. Nobody messed with the bikes - remember, it’s daylight almost all night long. I think it is closer to more restaurants than UAF dorms. Also close to banks and the HD/BMW/Honda dealership.

Oh, and don’t skip the Denny’s next door. It’s way above average - quite possibly the best Denny’s in the entire chain.
  15. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    SVENS hostel. Stayed there twice. Super place.
  16. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's in fairbanks?
  17. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was turned away at UAF because they didn't have any available rooms. Apparently, they were under construction and were booked full with whatever rooms they had left.

@AUTOT3K I'd call them prior to your trip.
  18. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it's in Fairbanks, I second Lizzard, I stayed at Sven's Basecamp Hostel twice as well. Great place, and great people. walking distance to grocery store, car wash is just down the road, showeres, kitchen, wifi etc. Sven raises/races sled dogs so there are usually puppies there that he is keeping an eye on. His cousin from Europe was working there as well, I don't remember her name but she made everyone feel at home. She offered to do laundry as well for a small fee. There is tent camping in an open green space or in the woods. They also have small little cabins for rent and the canvas tents for rent. As you can see from the photo there were many motorcyclist staying there. I met someone heading up the Dalton, so we aligned plans and rode up and back together. I ended up riding with him for about 8 days total and consider him a friend now.

motorcycles can drive right into the grounds, cars stay parked out by road.
    [​IMG]

small cabins for rent
    [​IMG]

Sven and his new race dogs
    [​IMG]
    zachd likes this.
  19. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^