Dalton Highway Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kbcrunchy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    I wore my Roadcrafter the whole trip. It's never been the same :lol3, but I still wear it.

My son and I learned to wear the mosquito nets under our helmets. No fussing around when you have to stop.
  2. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    HaHa Enumclaw. I'm just learning about CornerGas - good wholesome fun.
    I like the underthe helmet net thing, was the mesh on your forehead a problem?
    A few years ago, I had multiple mossy bites on my forehead. Over 700km the Arai helmet chewed it too bits. Multiple bandaids fixed that, but still painful.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are making me wonder why anyone makes this trip:lol3:lol3:dunno:dunno
  4. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Its The ADVENTURE!

I often wonder what ill would befall the world if all them blood suckers just dropped dead.
  5. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Never even knew they were there. Just sat there on the bikes at the construction stops, smugly proud we had beat the incessant little bastards. :lol3
  6. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would definitely be able to cover up from head to toe, hands included.

If you have to fix a flat or fix your bike on the side of the road or cook outside while camping, it would be unbearable if you couldn't cover up from the mosquitoes, if they are out.

thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I said:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember coming out of Prudhoe and having to stop for a construction zone.
    The road worker comes out of her truck, and she was immediately swarmed and I actually saw her outline in the cloud of skeeters like you do in cartoons. She was apparently wearing some serious bug spray as she didn't get nailed. I on the other hand was surrounded instantly but safe as long as I kept my visor shut, which I did. She took pity on me and let me through without a pilot truck. We both had a chuckle out of the whole experience though... Those skeeters are more serious than in the Everglades...:eek7
    stoney4vida likes this.
  9. pdoug

pdoug n00b

Oddometer:
    Revitt suit, liners, Sidi boots, two pair of gloves (waterproof) modern material base liners, no cotton, good socks and a credit card.
  10. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Road Crafter Two Piece the entire time on the Dalton as well as the Dempster. A good Deets Mosquito Repellent works just fine to keep the blood suckers at bay. Danher Workman Boots well oiled Gerbing Heated Jacket liner paired with Gerbing Heated Gloves. It is cold up north. I also wear a pair of Smart Wool Medium Weight Long underwear and a pair of Smart Wool Socks every day. That right there is how I roll. IMG_1731.JPG
  11. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whenever heading anywhere north of Yellowstone I wear (and/or take) the following, even in June, July or August. Weather can be in the 90's or the 30's, sunny or snow. You never know. So be prepared. Tourmaster Transition Jacket, and Tourmaster Pants (leave liner in all the time on the pants). I carry a Gerbing heated jacket. Some mornings i wear it with heat (30 to 40 degrees) some mornings, no heat( 50 degrees). The Tourmaster is goretex and great because you can zip up on the fly without having to second guess those clouds, or stop on the shoulder and put a liner on. For those all day soakers, I do carry a Goretex over jackets and put it over the Tourmaster. It is great and doubles as an evening rain jacket for restaurants, camp fires etcs, without wearing the heavier Tourmaster for those purposes. Two gloves, both Goretex, one a summer weight, one a winter lined weight. My Beemer has heated grips, so gloves are not heated. Boots are calf length Sidi's goretex. My under clothing are the quick dry microfiber, wash and dry overnight. Long sleeve Bass/Fly fisihing shirts (wear one and pack one). Pants. Two pair of cargo hiking pants, both zip off. Convert to shorts on those hot days, or can even double layer if really cold days. Three pair of socks (wear one and pack two). Three pair of undies Bicycle shorts, gel seats (wear one pack two). Carry a net bag and hang off the back of your bike with your laundered undies and socks to blow dry while you are riding. But incase it rains all day you still have the other set dry in the saddle bags. I have hard side panniers, not top case. I use Dry Spec Roll top Dry bags to carry tent/sleeping bag, and few extras. One pannier is full of emergency stuff, tools, air compressor, zip ties, duct tape, bungees, heated jacket, spare gloves, etc. The other is my clothes and computer and chargers, etc. I have a tank bag with a hyrdration bladder slipped into the front handle of it (by the handle bars) to drink while riding (you MUST have this!) I carry an MSR bottle of fuel strapped under my right pannier (opposite the muffler on my RT), and have only had to use that once or twice a year, but it was sure welcomed when that happened (traffic delays on mountain passes creeping along at 2 MPH in first gear for 5 to 10 miles). Take energy snack bars, locked in hard cases (bear, rodent and CROW proof!) for those emergencies when you have to emergency camp somewhere. And I have relied more than once, on those chemical emergency lights that you crack to light up, when my batteries went dead. The land of the midnight sun, can still get pretty dark at 2 am. "Repel" mosquito, or the Avon stuff is really good for mosquitoes. single use "wet ones" are VERY handy to keep. Para cord has come in handy to replace that broken Rok Strap a time or two. Tire plug kit and air compressor (or at least CO2) Aerostitch has the best compact air compressor. You might want to lower your tire pressure when on the dirt/gravel roads, but then to top back off on hard pavement.
    stoney4vida and Dan Alexander like this.
  12. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No pain, No gain
  13. CaptainSewage

CaptainSewage n00b

Oddometer:
    What I forgot to bring was anti-fog treatment for glasses/face shield. Sleet, fog, and operator error contributed to my tipping over while stopping to clean my glasses near Galbraith Lake...
  14. 1Percenter

1Percenter Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thank You for asking this question. It's good information to know as I too am headed up there June 2020. Maybe we'll run into each other.
    kbcrunchy likes this.