Damaged tire bead - safe to reinstall?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by nasawhy, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nasawhy

nasawhy n00b

Oddometer:
    I needed to replace a front tube today on a Heidenau K60 so I took off the tire and noticed this gouge along the outer wall of the bead. You can see the metal wire inside, but they don't appear to be broken, just exposed. I'm thinking this isn't a good idea to put back on? I'm going to put about 1,400 miles on my bike in a few days. This tire has a few hundred miles on it. I must have gouged it when I installed it or today when I took it off.

I have an old tire that still has some tread, so that would be the safer option, right? If I get a new tire, then I'll want to try to break that one in and not sure if I will have time for that.

What should I do? :becca damaged-bead.jpg
  2. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can only speak for myself and what I would do, and I would run it without thinking twice..
  3. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's not a tubeless, not badly damaged, I''d be happy to use that too.
    shinyribs likes this.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Run it!
    shinyribs likes this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bead wire affair is a multi-strand circle of seriously strong steel wire, coated with rubber, then wrapped within the tire carcass plies as they are folded over each "end" of the tire during the build process. You are seeing the fibers in the tire carcass as folded, not the wires. The chuink missing is sidewall rubber that forms the rim seal which keeps out debris in a tubeless tire or keeps air in for a tubeless. Tubeless or not, that's no big deal, as the strength's still there-> ride it as said.
  6. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    1,400 mile trip in a few days?

1) Get a new tire. (Don’t worry about break-in, that will obviously happen in the first day of the trip)

2) Later after you get back, and the tires from the trip are worn out you can switch back to this suspect tire for local riding no problem.
  7. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    That tire isn't hurt at all. Run it and enjoy your trip!
  8. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    5 go ride/ 1 no ride. :hmmmmm

This ain't rocket surgery @nasawhy .
    nasawhy likes this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heck, mark the spot on the sidewall with some yellow crayon, a piece of tape on the rim, or the like, then look at it a couple times a day. If you see movement of the tire at the bead, indicating an issue with the tire, then fix/replace it. Otherwise keep going.

Personally I doubt if that damage is enough to cause an issue, but if you mark it you can look to make sure. After all, it's your butt in the seat, not ours.
  10. nasawhy

nasawhy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone, I brought it to a mechanic today and everyone in the shop agreed it was nothing to worry about. It's mounted and ready to go!
    shinyribs and ozmoses like this.