Daniel Boone National Forest Ride on Pavement

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Vic5491, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the riding on pavement in the Daniel Boone National Forest (DBNF)?

I am in Atlanta and recently looked at a map of the DBNF put out by the US Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Region and it looks as if one can string together a nice ride from the bottom of the park to the top mostly on State Roads with a US Highway or two thrown in occasionally. Is this ride one worth doing or would our time be better spent somewhere else?

If we do this ride, we will enter on US27 from the south and end up at Morehead, KY.

Personal knowledge of and advice regarding this area would greatly be appreciated!

Here is a link to the route within the DBNF that we are considering. https://goo.gl/maps/eW5ik

Our trip up to the bottom of KY where we enter the park will be a great ride including much of the good stuff in north GA and the Cherohala Skyway so getting to and from the DBNF is a good ride. My question is specifically "what the ride is like within the parkway from the bottom up to Morehead, KY.

Thanks!
    Vic
  2. IrishXJ

IrishXJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent all day yesterday tooling around the backroads and gravel roads of DNBF, but all of this is opinion. Use it as you will. I will say that the gravel yesterday was sketchy as Hell with my fully aired-up, 32PSI Pirelli Scorpion street-oriented tires. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want all pavement, I think the hills of far Eastern Kentucky are far more beautiful -- and with many more one-and-a-half lane roads, too. Granted, the riding around Red River Gorge and the NADA Tunnel at DBNF is to die for, I don't know if I'd want to ride all the way from Atlanta to do it.

Personally, if I were to do an asphalt ride in Kentucky, I'd do a circle around what the Kentucky Adventure Trail follows. I absolutely love Harlan and out East -- but the horse and hill country around Lexington is also a beautiful sight to behold.
  3. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just added a link to a Google Map of what we are considering. Pls let me know what you think of the proposed route.

Thanks,
    Vic
  4. IrishXJ

IrishXJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your route has you going on the Mountain Parkway at Slade all the way to Pine Knot. I'd X that and just take Route 15 all the way to Pine Knot. The Mountain Parkway is just as pretty, but you can't take as much in when you're going 75MPH.

Other than that, block out an hour at Natural Bridge State Park. Pack a pair of tennis shoes. Hiking up to the bridge won't be fun in riding boots. When you're worn out from the hike (Don't forget to go to Battleship Rock, too!) stop by Miguel's Pizza. Like Mos Eisley Spaceport, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy -- hipsters. :evil

There's some pretty roads around Stanton, as well. Can't help you with which ones they are, since I just ride there and proceed to get lost. :rofl
  5. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would work. I've road off road more than on in that area but I've road and camped on my Concours too. There are a lot of good roads in that area. I wouldn't try to confine the route in the confines of the forest. You really can't tell when you are in it or out of it.
    I would take rt 80 east to 421 north before I would run up 25 that far. 89 is another good road too. When you go up 421 you go between two free campgrounds that are in the forest. Turkey Foot and S-tree are their names. No water but the sites have great level tent sites and you are close enough to town to get drinks or food.
  6. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I corrected it on Google Maps. Here is the new short URL.

https://goo.gl/maps/eW5ik

I originally planned the route in another SW package and quickly recreated it in googlemaps to post here. In so doing, I ended up making the mistake you noted. On my original map, I was on 15 rather than on the parkway.

Cheers,
    Vic
  7. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I was starting on 27 @ the Tn./Ky. border, and wanted to get to Morehead, tis is how I would do it.....two options to get you started

option 1....to get to route 421

north on 27, east on 92 to Williamsburg, then north on 25w, 25w will intersect with 90. Stay on 25w heading north east and look for 1193 on your left. Turn on to 1193 heading north. it will end at 192, turn right/east on 192 to London, stay on 192 heading east. Turn left on 80/4th street. then turn right on 472 heading northeast. Stay on 472 to 421 and turn left on 421. The goal here is to ride 1193.....also known by locals at 'the race track". it starts off like any other country road in the area with houses and farms, passes some really good camp grounds, but the northern part becomes like a sweeper deals gap with plenty of run off, great smooth pavement, no houses, and little traffic.. 92 and 192 are also good.

option 2.....to get to route 421

north on 24, east on 92, stay on 92 through Williamsburg going east and turn left/north on 11. Stay on 11 all the way heading northeast, through Barbourvile until to reach 421. 11 and 421 merge in Manchester and stay together for quite a while.

Using either option........now you are on route 421..heading NORTH

Now you are approaching a group of 4 roads that is known here about as the "Hillbilly Triangle", and is as good of twisty street riding as you will find just about anywhere. It consists of routes 587, 52, and 89, with a very small section of 421 connecting 89 and 587.

What I would do in your situation.....wanting to reach Morehead.....is take a right off of 421 onto 587, take 587 over to Beattyville and pick up 52, take 52 going west, over to 89 and then come 89 back south, along with about a mile of 421, to where you picked up 587. I would then take 587 back over to Beattyville. 587 is worth doing twice....:clap. In Beattyville, you can then use 11 going north. Stay on 11 and it will take you right past Natural Bridge State park and Miguel's Pizza. On the other side of the Mountain parkway, it will intersect with 15.

At 15/11 turn left and go about 2 miles, then turn right on 77, go through the Nada Tunnel. Stay on 77 all the way going north until it ends at 460. Turn right, go a short distance on 460 and turn left on 1693. 1693 will dead end into 1274, go right. 1274 will intersect with 801, go straight and 801 will take you to 60. Turn right on 60 and go straight into Morehead.

using option two it works out to be right at 286 miles, using option 1 would probably add about 10 miles to that total. This is all paved roads, most in very good condition.

note: if you have time....take 32 going east out of Morehead over to the West Virginia Border.....fantastic road!
  8. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write down all of your suggestions. I have not yet had time to look closely at Option 2 but I do have a couple of questions about Option #1. At the end you say to turn left (or NW) on 421 but no other guidance is offered about getting from 421 to Morehead. 421 crosses the DBNF and goes over to I-75 just above Berea. Are you saying that there is nothing special in the DBNF above 421 and that I should just go to I-75 and slab it the rest of the way or what?

Also, if I heard you right, the gem of the route you suggested in your Option #1 is 1193. Did you notice that it was also part of my tentative route? Is the rest of what I have laid out just not good or is what you have suggested below 421 just much better?

Vic

9. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I wasn't clear......

once you are on 421, using either option 1....via 472 from London, or using option 2.....via 92 and 11, you stay on 421 until you get to 587 and then turn on
    587...the first leg of the "Hillbilly Triangle"

The options are only 2 different ways to get to this point. At NO time will you use I-75 or any other highway. I'm sorry, I tried to look at your route but it would not load on my pad, so I'm not sure what you have on there. 1193 is an excellent road, but certainly not the only gem of the whole route. I would consider the triangle and route 77 to probably be the absolute best, but I really don't think any of it will dissapoint you. And, as I noted, route 32 out of Morehead is certainly worth riding. I think you will really enjoy your time in the bluegrass state.
  10. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I am still confused. Assume I am on 421 headed west. When I come to 587, are you saying that I should pick up there in Option 2 and do what it says from there to Morehead? If not, please either send me a link to a google image of what you propose or tell me again in enough detail for me to be able to recreate what you suggest in googlemaps.com.

Will you have access to a pc this evening that will open my link? If so, maybe we can just tweak what I have rather than starting totally over.

Thanks,
    Vic

11. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I edited my post to make it clearer (I hope)

Note:
    421 actually starts way up north, crosses over the Ohio River at Madison, Indiana, into Kentucky and goes unbroken all the way through the state, exiting the state below Harlan, Ky. It is a NORTH-SOUTH route. It is actually the same road that runs through Bristol, Tn. and then heads south through Shady Valley, where it is known as "The Snake", and continues to runs south from there.

The route I have given you uses 421, heading NORTH, only for a short time.
  12. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which note did you edit Pat? I am lost. Thanks for trying but I am not following you on what to do once I am on 421 in your Option #1. I have now charted what I think you meant for me to do in your option #2. Here it is.

https://goo.gl/maps/XeRkP

Is this correct?

Will you have access to a PC where you can see my original route and this one?

Vic

13. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go back to my original post and you will see the revisions.

Once you get on 421...using either option to get there....you head north. Take a right on 587 over to Beattyville. In Beattyville you will go west on 52, over to Irvine and route 89. Tske 89 south to McKee and reconnect with 421. Take 421 SOUTH about a mile and turn left, bsck onto 587. Follow 587 bsck over to Beattyville and pick up 11 going north. Stay on 11 past Natural Bridge State Park, (See others notes on stopping at this park, I suggest doing so) and just north of the park is Miguel's Pizza...yellow building on your right... Lunch?

Continuing on 11, you will cross over the Mountain Parkway, there is a Shell station there if you need gas, turn left and go about 2 miles and turn right on 77. Stay on 77 through the Nada Tunnel and up through the Gorge area. It ends at route 460. Turn right on 460. Go a few miles and turn left on 1683. 1683 runs into 1274. Go right on 1274. It becomes 801 if you go straight where they intersect. 801 will run around the lake and end at route 60. Turn right on 60 and it runs straight into Morehead.
  14. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. Let's see if I got all of this right.

Option #1 including latest revisions = https://goo.gl/maps/Q6eDA

Option #2 as I understand it = https://goo.gl/maps/XeRkP

Is this what you had in mind? I think it is.

BTW, on my return trip I am going to go over to Lexington and then home. If I have time, I'd like to ride some of those scenic roads that run alongside and between some of the horse farms. Any suggestions on this?

Vic

15. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    got to my laptop and I can see your maps now.....

your option 1 has you riding 587 1x and 30 1x

your option 2 doesn't have 587 in it at all

you don't want to miss 587, fantastic road, you will want to ride it more than once....:D

otherwise everything looks good.

horse farms you say....hmmm, yes I think I can help you there as well. Let me do some checking and I'll get back to you on that.
  16. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I give up. I have spent the better part of a day trying to chart what you have suggested and it is still not fucking right! I must be retarded!

Question: My option 1 has me riding 587 once and 30 once. What should it have been?

Now that you have access to a pc, can you simply modify my Option 1 and 2 to be what they should be? That would likely take you 5 minutes and I just cannot bring myself to dig back into all of this once again to try to make all of this as it should be.

And last but not least, how was my original route?

Vic

17. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok....I cant fix it for you. The main thing is you are riding 587 twice. Both times from 421 to Beattyville. EDIT.....it wont save my changes to YOUR map

I also suggest making a slight revision.....just to give you another choice....here I changed the route around Natural Bridge State park and Miguels to by pass them AND the Nada Tunnel. In stead of doing those things, it takes you up route 715, which goes through the Red River Gorge itself. Freshly paved on the lower section of the gorge last year. In most places it is 1 1/2 lane wide, watch for cars/trucks coming the opposite way on the weekends, but during the week traffic shouldn't be a problem. Its a beautiful and very twisty road. About 1/2 way through there is a place to stop called Sky Bridge Station. Craft beer on tap, gourmet hot dogs, ice cream. Also a Hostel. cost is 17.00 per bed or 70.00 per room. I haven't been there, but reviews are excellent. Their website is www.kragky.com. I plan to try it out sometime in May. Your original route had you taking 715 off of 15, you can also access it off of 11.

Your original route had much of what I have given you, but I think you will like mine better. My routes keep you off of 27 and 25, which can have heavy and slow traffic. Mine also give you the Hillbilly Triangle, which I think you will love.

I'll see what I can give you on horse farm roads later.

Patrick
  18. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! What are the URLs now for the two options now that they have been modified? The ones I sent you appear not to have been changed.

I thought that the Natural Bridge State Park and Nada Tunnel were special. Apparently you feel the RR Gorge trumps them. Right?

Vic

19. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Natural Bridge, the tunnel and the gorge are close together.
  20. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought you WANTED me to do 587 twice. I am totally lost.

I am NOT good with google maps but I think if you modify one of my routes and then click on the wheel/sprocket on the lower right and then click on share and then select "short url" that it will produce a new map for you with a new url to it. Would you please give that a try again.

Vic