Daniel Boone National Forest Ride on Pavement

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Vic5491, Apr 5, 2015.

1. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://goo.gl/maps/djClZ

this seems to be what you want, I think. I've never used google maps before, but your instructions seem to be correct.

I'm only offering the 715 route vs Natural Bridge and Nada Tunnel route as an alternative. There are so many good roads, and places to see, throughout this area that I don't think I could make one single route that would have all of them on it. I LOVE Natural Bridge St. Park, my wife and I actually spent part of our Honeymoon there! I've been back several times since then. BUT, in order to really enjoy the park, you have got to be willing to hike. It's not a drive/ride through park. It has a nice lodge, with a good restaurant, and several rooms to stay in. But you really cant see a lot from it. It's a 1/2 mile steep hike up to the top of the Bridge, by the shortest route. Not something I'd like to do in M/C boots. There is a sky lift (think ski lift) that will take you up there as well, but you've still got to walk from the end of it to the bridge or to take in any of the scenic overlooks. Miguel's is a very cool place and great pizza, very eclectic atmosphere. The road to the tunnel is nothing great, but the Tunnel is very cool....and dark....and wet....and you rally cant see anything. Anyways, if you go around 715 it will take you down and through the Gorge itself. When you get to the far end 715 will intersect with 77. if you go left there and go about 2-3 miles, you will come to the tunnel. If you really want to see the tunnel, and go through it, you can. Then turn around on the far side and go back up 77, if you want. There are lots of ways you can do everything, if you are willing to just do some circles. The whole 715-77-11-715 circle taking in all of that.....715 through the Gorge, Nada Tunnel, Miguel's, Natural bridge St. park, 11 back to 715....is only 33 miles long. You're going to have to make decisions as you go along and see how your time (and stamina) works out.
  2. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Yes, that is exactly what I needed to clear all of the confusion up. This is one of those cases where a picture IS worth a thousand words (and hours of wasted labor).

Based on your input, I do agree that the RR Gorge is a better choice for this trip. We will not have time to hike so going to the park would be a waste of time. Thanks for your guidance on this. Oh, and I have been through long tunnels before and actually don't really like them much!

The only question I have about your latest route is the rather large easterly jaunt outside of the park between London and McKee on 472/421. Looking at that route on the map does not suggest that it is anything special but I could be wrong about that. Is there something special about that jaunt? If not, I might prefer to take I-75 out of London for about 8 miles NW, jump over to 25 and up to 490 and then take 89 into McKee instead. What do you think about that as an alternative to the 472/421 leg? Here is a link to what I am suggesting as an alternative. https://goo.gl/maps/LfSBz

By the way, are most of the state roads inside the park 1.5 lane roads? I can see that they are quite twisty. What is the elevation in the park and how much up and down is there on the roads charted?

Thanks again for committing your ideas to a map! That really helped!

Vic

3. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't worry about any of the roads being in or out of the "park". The DP National Forest lands are NOT like a city or county park with well defined borders and park rangers. You will not really be able to tell when you are within "park" lands, and when you are not. I really suggest staying with the route I gave you, I've used it many times to run between No Ky and Tenn and it's never failed to be fun. I don't like riding expressway if I don't have to. The roads will all be soild 2 lanes, well maintained and marked. The only exceptions will be part of 89 between Krvine and McKee, and 715 through the Gorge. Those are 2 lane, but without a marked center line. Should still be good to great pavement. Just keep an eye out for gravel being washed out onto the road from driveways after hard rains, or even the possibility of branches in the road after storms. You will be going through lots of woods. The elevation change will not be great or sharp...probably a total of 1000-1500 feet difference between the lowest point and highest points. There will be some switchbacks, but not many, along the way. There will be LOTS of curves....enjoy!
  4. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. I am surprised that the area is not a bit more mountainous. I know down near Jellico Pass, there are some rather large mountains.

We live in the Atlanta area and have all of the great roads in North GA, NC and TN within a days ride from home. Are we going to be impressed with the area we have been discussing or will it be a letdown considering what we ride regularly?

We are spending night one in Oak Ridge, TN. Considering the ride to get to the bottom of what we have been talking about and the full ride to Morehead, KY, day two has now grown to 350 miles which is likely too long of a day considering the roads we will be on and the fact that we want to be able to take in the scenery too. How big of a mistake would it be for us to cut out the Hillbilly Triangle? We really need to get the day down to under 300 and that would do it.

Vic

5. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, if you need to cut out some mileage, I would cut out part of the triangle, but I really hate to see you do it if you don't have to.

What I would do.....run the section from 421 over to 11, Beattyville on 587. See how you feel and what time it is at that point.

If you don't do the rest of the triangle, its 80 miles to Morehead from Beattyville.

If you do the rest of the Triangle, and run 587 again, it doubles the mileage to 161 total miles from Beattyville.

If you ride NoGa and the roads in TN/NC on a regular basis, you probably wont be as impressed with this area as someone from a less perfect riding area might be. Butg I think you will still enjoy them. We don't have the major elevation changes, but its certainly not flat either. The higher mountains are actually further southeast, toward Virginia and West Virginia. You wont find a road like DG or the Skyway, but you wont find traffic either. Keep this in mind.....the state has an area of 3.5 million square miles and a population of 3.6 million. Most of the people live in the area between Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati. You won't be anywhere near that area. The largest "city" you will go through is London, ky. and it has a population of about 9,000 people. You will be out in the "boonies" most of the time, especially when outside of any towns.
  6. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will program several alternative routes and play it by ear as the day unfolds. My hunch is that we will run 587 but have to skip the other roads in the triangle but who knows. If we get an early start and are keeping up a pretty good pace, we may be able to get in the whole triangle.

Speaking of pace, what kind of pace is reasonable on the roads in question? Who patrols the roads and how are they about handing out performance certificates?

Vic

7. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can go as fast as your skill and bravery desire, but most of the time you will have a hard time going much faster than the 55 mph limit...line of sight will be your biggest deterrent. Just watch your speed through any of the towns so as not to upset the locals, and you will fine. Can't remember ever seeing any police out on the roads outside of any towns. I've never been with anyone that ever got a ticket running these roads.
  8. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. Sometimes we ride faster than is reasonable but on this trip, we want to slow it down a bit and enjoy the scenery. Good to know Barney is not out trying to generate revenue by handing out tickets. :)

9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well , depending on how much time you have , shortly after entering Ky. on 27 is the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area just west of 27. You can ride down , or take a train excursion to Blue Heron mining camp. There's some interesting displays about the days when the Stearns company mined and timbered the area.
    You have 90 on your map and it's well worth taking an hour to check out Cumberland Falls. Seeing it from the top as well as hiking down the steps to view it from the bottom.
    Back on 90 , but, before you get to 25 , hang a left on 1193 to Baldrock and turn right on 192 to London. In London pick up 472 to 421 turn right on 421 and go 2-3 miles to 11. Left on 11 will get you to Natural Bridge and near the Red River gorge.
    Hopefully this route won't be confusing. It was simply plotted using an official state map. There are other routes that will work as well I'm just trying for twisty two lanes.

edit , I looked again at your map and saw you already had the 1193 and 192 on there. 89 is good , but , so is 472 and 11.
  10. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestions. Unfortunately, the day between Oak Ridge, TN and Morehead, KY is already 300 miles long. On tiny little twisty roads like those we have charted already, I think it is already going to be a bit of a challenge to be in Morehead before nightfall.

I have not yet decided about my return route. Originally I thought I'd loop back through Cumberland Gap National Park but now I may well ride some of the great roads across WV to the top of The Blue Ridge Parkway and ride it back down. I have ridden the full length of the BRP about 15 times and yet I never tire of it one bit! It is, IMO, the finest road east of the Mississippi!

I will keep your suggestions in my file and if I do find myself rethinking my return, maybe I can weave your suggestions into my return.

Thanks,
    Vic

11. lemosley01

lemosley01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, should we put our username on our bikes or tents so we recognize each other?
  12. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ride as done several months ago.
  13. lemosley01

lemosley01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang it. I was in the wrong thread.