Danish citizen - Buying bike in Greece?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by JakobDK, Sep 15, 2019.

1. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I am from Denmark and is on my way around the world on my BMW R80GS, and will soon be in Greece where my dad will fly to, to meet me and travel around with me, in Greece just.

In that case we are looking for a bike for him, either by renting in Tessaloniki (or close by).
    We are also thinking about buying a bike in Greece.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for a Danish citizen to register and get insurance for a motorbike with greek papers, in Greece.

If it is not possible with buying a bike, maybe someone can point me in the direction of a good place to rent a motorbike?

Many thanks in advance

_MG_2124.jpg
    thanosgp and plumer1kt like this.
  2. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is possible with cars ,so why not with motorcycles?
    I will search for insurance and get back.
    That's a beautiful R80!
    Do you have a ride report?
    thanosgp and JakobDK like this.
  3. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is great news, because so far we were only met with the fact we would need a Greek tax number for it to happen, which would be too big of deal to arrange. Would be very nice of you if you will look into it, thanks!
    I have no ride report or something like it, unfortunately.

Would definitely be best for us to buy a bike for my dad, as this would make our options much more independent in terms duration of him traveling along and destinations.
  4. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ..and much cheaper.
    I asked a insurance company and you only need your driver and vehicle licence to have your bike insured.
    As for the tax number,you are correct!
    I will ask what the others (those who bought a car here) did with that.
    It is not a big deal to have a tax number here (2-3 hours of bureaucracy ) but for that you will probably need a home address .Be patient for an answer to that.
    Unless somebody else knows about.
    Renting a bike here:
    Just for info ,to check prices and terms.
    https://www.andelimototouring.gr/en/price-list/
    http://www.motorent.gr/en/pricelist/
  5. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what is the Tax number actually needed? Is that in order to have a place to send the papers, fines and whatever? A home adress meaning a place I am registered as living or just someones dress where papers can be send to?

Thank you very much for the help so far. Indeed it would be much cheaper and much more fun, to buy!
    plumer1kt likes this.
  6. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tax number is needed almost in everything.Tax office uses that number across every governmental organisation ,banks ,police as an identity number.Reason?To apply taxes and fines based on your property ,economical transactions and to collect money that you never pay in other organisations....or them.
    Let me give you some examples:
    • You have an accident and you go to the hospital.But you are not insured and you have to pay for hospitalization.If you don't have the money, the hospital will send the bill to the tax office (using the tax number).
    • Police gave you a parking ticket that you never paid.Again the bill goes to tax office.
    • You go to the bank to deposit money.Bank has your tax number and tax office can search if you have paid taxes for that money
    • Based on the history of your tax number, tax office can apply taxes and fines that you should pay by yourself but you never did.
    • You owe money to tax office.They send the bill in your address but you can still refuse to pay...So they wait until you will need to make a transaction where the tax number is necessary.And you have to pay everything you owe if you want to complete the transaction.
    In your case ,having a bike here means that you have to pay some small annual taxes(don't know how much) + insurance(i am paying 200 euro a year for my transalp) + MOT tests every two years(25 euro every two year).
    As for the address probably is ok to give a friends so the tax office can contact you.
    But it is better to have a chat with a tax consultant.These are the guys to make all of the papers for you and you bike (except insurance).And they know the "how to and why" better than me.
    So when you come here just google this "Φοροτεχνικο Γραφειο" means tax consultant office.You can find one everywhere.

Look here for prices about used bikes in Greece.
    thanosgp and JakobDK like this.
  7. Bhuddy21

Bhuddy21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  8. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This is what we will do, once we are in Tessaloniki!
    I already found many reasonable priced Honda Transalp's and BMW F650 funduros on that website, it's a very good one.

Thanks again!
    plumer1kt likes this.
  9. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @plumer1kt - Do you know of any workshop in Tessaloniki, where I can do some work on my bike for a day or two?
  10. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally no.My location is athens.
    But i can ask for if you like.
    Or ask in the "greek riders sign here" thread.
  11. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @plumer1kt
    If you have anywhere to ask, it would be nice. I will try to ask in that thread as well.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  12. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already asked a friend who is working in a moto parts store as salesman.He will ask some of his customers up there.
  13. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have negative answer....Sorry.
    They all refused for the same reason:
    Any person working inside a workshop must be registered as an employee and be social insured.
    Fine for this is 10500 euro! And none of them take the risk.
    I think you better go to where @zandesiro suggest.
  14. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @plumer1kt - Thanks for the info. I must look for a private workshop it seems. I am in Thessaloniki and my dad has arrived, and we are working on both finding a workshop and sorting out the bike situation for my dad.
    Tomorrow we will try and find a "Φοροτεχνικο Γραφειο" and see whats possible.
  15. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turned out the tax thing was very dificult and not worth it. Options for renting bikes in Thessaloniki were small and only one Suzuki V-Strom was available, but passed since quite bad condition. Eventually everything aligned by itself and we borrowed a Honda Transalp 600 from a local.
    Thanks for the help @plumer1kt
  16. thanosgp

thanosgp Xr rules

Oddometer:
    What a beauty,mate!
  17. Dirt = Life

Dirt = Life Living of water, loving on dirt.

Oddometer:
    Sådan altid nogen der klar til hjælpe herinde (eller derude)

God tur og held og lykke på rejsen.

Dirt.