Darien Light Pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scary Mc, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with Aerostitches Darien *Light* pants? Any info is appreciated.
    I have a pair of regular Dariens, but they are hotter than hell!

Thanks- Scary
  2. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a pair a few years ago to go with my lite jacket. Probably have about 25,000 miles on them. So far no leaks,including 8 solid days of rain or snow during Alaska trip in late Aug 2000. Easy on and off, not as hot, but I got them in the tan color which I think makes the difference when it come to being cooler. I HATE black motorcycle clothes. Also being inseam challanged I got them custom. They do show the dirt but that makes little diference to me, like that lived in look. I have not washed them yet and have no plans to do so. I give then a big YES. only negitive is price, but you get what you pay for,made in USA, and when you call in order someone alive answerers the phone that speaks english.

Hope that helps
    flyshop[alias Hammer]
  3. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I just got a pair to match the Darien light jacket I've had for 2 years! I haven't worn them yet riding, but I'm sure I'll like them as much as the jacket! I really didn't want black either, but the tan didn't do it for me!:dunno! I've been wearing Motoport Canyon pants & like them but they tuck into your boots! I bought the Darien light for rain overpants :drums
  4. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks guys.

-Scary
  5. Flash

Flash Sand Boxer

Oddometer:
    mm
  6. armadillo

armadillo Sandtrap

Oddometer:
    Flyshop....
    Why would you not wash your pants? All the dirt that collects on them will eventually wear them out. From what I've read on the Darriens you can wash them, they should be retreated w/a scotch card type product to help repel water.

I have the Darrien Jacket and have not washed it yet as I've just had it a few months. But am planning to soon.

As per Scary's question on temps...anybody using these in Hot climates? Texas etc...??
    or
    Recommendations for a good riding pant for Hot climates..??

Anybody......????
  7. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably for the same reason I don't wash my bikes. Not a wash, wax, and reteat kinda guy. Krud can become a protective barrier, I think. There is the theory you can wear stuff out washn' it. I am in favor of personal hygene though.

flyshop.dirt
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scary, you know that tan is gonna be cooler than black !

A pal has the D-light jacket, and he really likes it, affirms that it is cooler than the Roadcrafter, anyway. He does not use the armor. Go figure.

In his quest for ever-cooler riding gear, he just got Vanson perforated jacket and pants (sans armor) in.....maroon and black. Go figure.

I figure, dark=hot. That's why I got the RC in grey (with black shoulders. Doh!). I can't bear the pants in summer. I wear tan Patagonia Standups. Double seat and knees. Not enough armor, but it's something. Hose'em down at gas stops and they stay damp and cool for awhile. And they're stiff enough not to flap like crazy. I notice my friend's D-light jacket balloons some; don't know if the pants would flutter, or if you care.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Mr. Goldfine warns that abrasion at speed can cause the cordura to get hot enough to burn your skin, even if the nylon doesn't wear through. Hence, his suggestion to always wear at least a layer of cotton twill underneath. Well, shit, that's gonna be hotter'n'hell.

I know I don't have to tell a Texas boy like you that you can get more or less comfortable, but you're still gonna be hot this summer. All I know to do is to ride at dawn and watch out for the damn deer. If you find something that works, let me know!