Darien Light Pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jackson, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Jackson

Jackson n00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any experience with Darien Light Pants? I like the Darien construction, but have heard that the regular Darien pants can get too hot. Are the Lights cooler? Any venting? Do they offer enough protection?

I have looked at the BMW Airflow pants as well, but I don't like the fact that the vents are always open. I'm looking for pants with the most versatility. ie. rides with cool ocean breezes, sun-baked inland traffic, and chilly nights--You know, California!

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
  2. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I'm here in Southern Cal. and I agree with you on the Airflow. Not fond of the looks either. Especially after seeing Ray in them! Photos that is.

I've got both the regular and light Darien. The light is more comfortable in hot weather but not by much. Overall the light is only a few onces less in weight compared to a slightly lager sized regular. They are somewhat easier to get on but the construction and venting are the same. I imagine the protection is about the same as well. Motorport Kevlar Ultra II maybe?

Harry
  3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    A note I saw from the guy who runs Aerostich said the "lights" weren't really any cooler than the regulars, except as the lighter color material they are available in may provide some heat reflection. Basically, the lights are just as windproof as the regulars, so they're not necessarily cooler, just less bulky (and less protective).

When it's hot, I unzip the thigh of my Dariens a bit. When it's REALLY hot, I resort to Draggin' Jeans, which I like OK, but they're not really cut for middle-aged bodies.:(
  4. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey! I resemble that remark...
    FWIW, I exchanged the silver ones for black - much better looking
    IMO.
    The pants work great - and if you wear some light cotton pants underneath they cool just as well, retaining some sweat for evaporation cooling, but keep you pretty dang warm when it gets
    chilly.
    The jacket, OTOH, works REALLY well, and anything below about
    70 degrees makes me stop and put on my $14.00 windbreaker.
    You's guys should try the pants before you poo-poo them....
    :D
  5. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Let's just say I had to get a larger size....
    :eek: