Darien owners...does it flow any air?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RSDA, Apr 10, 2020.

1. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    I've watched a bunch of Klim, Rukka, Rev-It, etc., reviews where there is a lot of discussion about venting.

I'm interested in the Darien—just seems like more of a simple waterproof solution—but it looks like the jacket only features underarm vents and a back vent. Nothing up front, nothing in the sleeves.

I suppose this makes for better water protection, but...does this thing move any air? I'm picturing myself cooking behind a windshield in early August.

Thanks.
    atravlr likes this.
  2. rodentface

rodentface Maximus - Dorkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Nope. None.
    If you unzip it half way or more you can get some air, but at compromised protection.
    These days I only use my Darien for winter riding.
    slime, SmittyBlackstone and RSDA like this.
  3. sprink

sprink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't have handguards, air blows up the sleeves nicely.
  4. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters plus a big Madstad screen with side deflectors. Dang.
    slime likes this.
  5. sprink

sprink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot compare it to other goretex gear like klim. I have survived in hot weather while moving because I chose to wear it for the weather protection I might want on a long trip. Locally would always choose a different jacket if it is hot.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. Road Barnacle

Road Barnacle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think ventilation is kind of subjective, but with this jacket a lot depends on the liner you use. With just a cotton shirt, vents open ... I think it's fine. If you use anything heavier it's probably not going to be real comfortable. I've worn Darien Jackets since about 2005 and have been on plenty of trips in warm weather. Maybe I'm missing out on the "good stuff" but have never felt like the ventilation was a huge shortcoming.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with handguards if they're not too large. Inflates the whole jacket pretty well if you keep the underarm vents closed.

But those "underarm" zips are long enough to really open up the sleeves and the torso. They allow a lot of airflow.
    Schlug likes this.
  8. thirdofthree

thirdofthree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, closing the pit zips and opening the back vent to get air flowing up the sleeves...just doesn't work. In the upper midwest, when it's hot, it's humid. And when it's hot and humid, I'm sweaty. And when I'm sweaty, the inside of the jacket sticks to my skin. And when the jacket sticks to my skin, it stops the airflow up the sleeves, through the shoulders, and out the back -- in other words, the airflow up the sleeves is insufficient to un-stick the inside of the jacket from my sweaty, sticky skin. Absolutely miserable in heat & humidity, IME.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  9. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Why the good folks at Stich don't add a couple of chest vents and bring this fine jacket up a notch or three is beyond me
    DougA likes this.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    In motorcycle jackets, there's nothing I'd like more than a modern darien. Even just a couple patches the same material as a roadcrafter on the elbows/shoulders to improve the abrasion, I'd be in. Prefer vertical rear vents to horizontal so it doesn't block my camelbak and a more tailored fit. I'm in. They refuse, preferring to re-pop a roadcrafter in different, goofy ways. Aerostich will either be the last man standing, or fade away. Levi jeans are still here, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing them.
    DougA likes this.
  11. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I have never had an issue getting air up my sleeves and out the rear vent or pit vents. Both my motos have handguards and still I push a lot of air. The force of the air ramming up the sleeves isn't just enough to lift the fabric off my arms, it's enough to inflate the entire jacket and push it up against my chin if I don't have a vent open somewhere.

I have about 90,000 miles on a Darien from Baja to Labrador. No complaints. Now-- that mesh Olympia-- holy...

[​IMG]

Handguards on the Dakar. Stock. (This is in south west Texas on the front side of a 5,000 mile ride.) Flowed a tremendous amount of air. But then this bike has little wind protection.

[​IMG]

Nevada BCDR

[​IMG]

Stockers on the 1150. At the top of the Icefields Parkway in Jasper, Alberta. These bikes still flow a great deal of wind. YMMV

[​IMG]

Same Darien today as back then in 2013, only about 30,000 more miles on it. Darien pants, too.

I remember the date because on the way there, this happened:

[​IMG]

Which I watched while eating my burger here:

[​IMG]

I only stopped for the fuel and the food, promise. You make a turn here and entrance to Death Valley NP is just down the road a bit.

[​IMG]

View of the hand guards.
    FWIW I have a BMW Trailguard jacket as well, with a lot more venting and chest vents. I do use the chest vents and the sleeve vents (on the front side of the sleeve) and enjoy the air flow. But when I take these long rides, I only ever use the Darien. Why? because I never have to stop and zip in a liner or put on a waterproof shell. All I have to do is zip up and keep riding.
    9Realms and Macho Man2 like this.
  12. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the fit.

My Darien fits such that if I open the vents, undo the collar and open the zipper about 8 inches, air will move around under my arms and across my back.

Probably not a ton, but when you're hot, even a little air can feel like AC.
    Schlug and slow24 like this.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Roll down the collar open all of the vents and open the cuffs.

....and yes it works with handgards both of my bikes have them. It will move a surprising amount of air once you get it right.
    Grinnin and Schlug like this.
  14. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found after many a mile through every state in all temperatures, even though you might believe that hot air hitting you in hot weather is needed to be comfortable, the opposite is true. Sure if you're riding a 10 mile ride, whatever, in hot weather it feels better, but if you are riding all day although it may feel better all you are doing is adding to the dehydration and you will always feel worse with hot air "cooling" you after a long day. So I don't know about the Darien, the Darien Light is garbage, the Roadcrafter works good for me. Just my opinion from a guy that rode mostly in a T-shirt for many years to keep "cool" in hot weather.
    lithodave likes this.
  15. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing darien jackets since the late 90s.
    Here's my take;
    They are comfortable up to around 90 in dry weather.
    Above that I have to take more drastic measures like filling the outer pockets with ice.

In hot weather I will ride with a long sleeve wicking shirt. I keep the zippered cuffs open with my gloves inside the sleeve. The pit zips open and the back vent open. Around my neck I wear a microfiber towel that's soaked in water.
    I haven't hat good luck with cooling vests.

Much above 90 degrees and I would rather just stay at home. But these temps are most west coast with reasonable levels of humidity.
    slime likes this.
  16. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

at over 100 degrees I have both used the ice trick and just wetted my tee shirt under the Darien from time to time. Evaporative cooling is a real thing. But if I'm going out for two or three weeks I only bring one jacket and some liners. And there is only one that can do it all without qualification.

I think it is true people underestimate the insulating value of a real jacket. Most of that is radiant, but that Olympia mesh jacket-- not only did I suffer terribly in the rain, but I was absolutely dried like a raisin from being blasted at 80 MPH by the scorching Nebraska heat. (F Nebraska) True life experience trumps any marketing or unclear thought. I felt like a mummy.
    lithodave and slime like this.
  17. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I can relate is my personal experience. I'm on my second (very worn) Darien. My first was purchased in 1994 I think. I'm certain I have at least 150,000 miles in Dariens in all temps and weather conditions. With the pit zips and back zip fully open, and the sleeve cuffs fully open, and wearing short-gauntlet type gloves, I've been nearly as comfortable as wearing full mesh, and much better protected, and of course I don't have to pack rain gear. In fact, I've stopped wearing mesh except for a leather/mesh Rev'It combo I sometimes wear (which, BTW, wears hotter than my Darien). A wetted down shirt and/or neck tube makes it even cooler-wearing. There's no denying that when I'm stopped, things heat up quick. It's a trade-off I'm OK with, but not everyone may be.
    Schlug, slime, 9Realms and 1 other person like this.
  18. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This rolling selfie was taken in East Texas with a 118° heat index.

Cuffs open over gauntlets, underarm vents open,.back vent open (but compromised by Camelback), 1/4 unzipped.

Stay hydrated, keep sweating, keep moving. 1716032209.jpg
    Schlug likes this.
  19. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why did you feel the Darian Light was garbage?
    Asking because I was thing about going this route
    slime likes this.
  20. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the answer. I love my Darien light (pictured above)/AD1 light combo.