1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Day Ride ADV e motorcycle choice for noob's.

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Ever Onward, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    I am totally unfamiliar with E motorcycles.

If you were to pick a few e motorcycles to do a 50 / 50 dualsport ride on, with say a 40 mile charge range, which would you choose, and why ?

For Comparison, pick something that in a gas motorcycle would be like a Yamaha XT 250 or a Kawi Super Sherpa.

I know the e motorcycle wont be equal, but thats the intended overall ride terrain I am thinking with the limited battery range being half decent.
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fx

Your 40 mile range requirement is close to the max for the 3.6 kWh pack, so you'll need the 7.2. That adds 42 lbs. Still under 300 lbs. total, and in general a nice dual sport ride.
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  3. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own the Zero FXS and love it. FX or FXS for you. The FX series has been largely unchanged for a few years, but because of Coronavirus, there is no telling if Zero is going to pull off a generation bump next year (assuming you're waiting...)

That said, I don't want to call the Zero delicate, but they aren't up to the standards of true dual-sports in regards to rough terrain.
  4. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a Zero FX is your best bet. I own one and its awesome, but like Rider68 said it doesnt feel as up to the task as being abused as my DRZ400, but it still does great off road. Doing 35-45mph backroads I get around 80 miles on a charge. At those speeds the battery wont really get hot so you can charge at much faster rates with an offboard charger.

And why - they are really the only decent street-legal E-dualsport out there that is currently manufactured. The KTM Freeride has less range and power, and the Sur Ron has much less power than the KTM and is more like a hybrid mountain bike / dirtbike, both to my knowledge are not plate-able from the factory. The Alta Redshift EXR would be my next suggestion, but there is limited support provided by only the community as Alta is no longer in business, and they still command a high price if you can find them.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really depends on your location - plenty of folks are plating these (at least on the Sur-ron threads I've been watching) although they likely need lights and mirrors
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Seconded.
  7. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How bout the DS or DSR? If it's pretty tame riding I think it could do it. Probably be more fun on the FX though. What's the range on the FX? I've ridden the FXS and man is it a hoot to ride.

You could do it on the the Sur Ron with a moped plate, but around 30 miles is the range for one. You'd have to be going pretty slow.
  8. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even with aggressive riding and some freeway, you can do the 40 miles the OP is requesting easily.

dd.jpg
  9. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they have a ZF7.2
  10. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone in the SurRon thread rides w/ his daughter on the front and a spare battery pack in his backpack. The battery is ~25# so *I* wouldn't want to do that. Hmm, It would be slick to make a different subframe to carry either a spare OEM pack or a DIY second pack. But yeah, out of the box not enough range for the OP.