1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Day Trip to Michigan....?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by The Fist, Oct 12, 2004.

1. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Yes, its crazy, but we're throwing around the idea of hitting up some Michigan singletrack this Sunday... We'd leave around 4:30am and get home around 10:30pm...

Any suggestions for trails to hit ?

How far is the drive to Baldwin/Big/Little O ?

Any advice/suggestions are welcome...
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Baldwin is about 90 minutes north of Grand Rapids. So its probably five hours from the time you leave until the time you unload the bikes. And you lose one hour going into Michigan, so you might be able to ride from 10:30am until 5pm or so. Those woods are dark even on a sunny day.

Make sure you have your Michigan ORV stickers. There was a guy checking for them when we rode Big O.

Little Cloud is a further south from Baldwin, and a fun section of trail. Check that out too.

Jon
  3. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    I am almost ready.....
  4. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Go north young man. Head up the coast(lk. Mich.) through green bay, up rt. 41 stay north onto M35 to the intersection of M35 & G12, 1 mile north on M35 from there there is an awsome ORV trail it is two track, but a great ride. Approx. 20 miles of smooth sand berms, a few whoops not to bad (I hit them on the 950) a lot of state built bridges over the creeks, a few cat walks built over the peet bogs etc.. Tons of unimproved sand and gravel roads in the area.

Around 4 1/2 hours up, a couple hours screwing around on the ORV trail, some lunch, then just cruising the back roads around there and back home would be an awsome trip.
    Plus the ride up is pretty good also, two lanes each way with a huge wooded median in between.

The big o is a pretty tough single track. I don't know that I would ride up there and then ride it and then want to try and cruise back home. We rode it on our dirt bikes built for that kind of riding and it was a good handfull.
  5. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding with some non-plated bikes; the Big O is for plated bikes, right ? or atleast in some sections...

The little O, to my knowledge, doesn't require plates anywhere, right ?

and jon...5 hours, eh ?

Also-- check out this link and click on "B" -- this brings you to a page where you can check out Manistee and huron trails-- any of these any good ? Im looking for a place that's as close to Chicago as possible but still interesting...

thanks
  6. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    I'm in north east lake county and it takes me 4 1/2 hours to get the big and little O area. Little O is definately no plates required, I am 90% sure the big is also. I thought were going to ride the bikes there.

That would be a good trip. I'd go in a heartbeat but I'll be on the Cheese nuts trail.
  7. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Okay....

Plans have changed....We're gonna head out Saturday night, hang out, get a hotel or something (maybe camp) and then ride on Sunday... So if there's one place we should hit, which loop would it be ?

Or is one day long enough for multiple loops ?
  8. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    There is a nice campground on the south side of Baldwin with hot showers and small cabins. And its only about a ten-minute drive to the start of the trails.

Do the Big O first. That's probably 60 miles or so. Then you can do Little O afterward if you still feel like riding. :lol3

Jon
  9. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Go to the whiskey creek lodge. Do a search, you'll find them. Thats where the rites of spring bases its camp. I've stayed there. They have real nice cabins that sleep three, includes a microwave, shower, queen bed and a set of bunk beds. sink etc. fire pit and a grill for 75$ a night.

You can ride to the trail from camp.
  10. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    So, if there's a choice, for NON-PLATED bikes, it would be...

The big or little O ? keep in mind that Im looking for singletrack and trying to avoid quads and DEEP sand....

thanks..

BTW-Jim, what's the link for that whiskey creek lodge ?
  11. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    We did all of them without plates.

Jon
  12. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    You still haven't told me your preference...(knowing that I like singletrack and HATE quads) --

also, does the trail from whiskey creek hook up with the Big or Little O?
  13. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Big O and Little O are 42 inches wide in many places, but also fun single-track in places. I think you have to go further northwest over to Cadillac to really get the best single track experience, but I don't know where that trail starts.

Jon
  14. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Just called W.C. to get a cabin for one night -- they told me "two night minimum"....

I asked if there was any "off-season" exceptions considering how crappy the weather is gonna be this weekend; she told me, "sure, but I'll still charge you for two nights..."

Unbelievable.... You'd think they'd welcome any sort of business right now; I guess not... The place looked cool- too bad they were a bunch of FFs...
  15. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Well then fuck them
  16. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    I fucked em!

LIP
  17. rayder

rayder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't take it too personal, Whiskey Creek is literally my back yard and they've always had an identity crisis. They started out as a bar and dirt bike track/haven. But now they've morphed into some sort of camping/condo/retirement home. They closed all of their dirt trails to motorized vehicles and banned dirt bikes from everything but state roads and state designated trails. The place is being sold off piece by piece and soon to be a collection of golf carts, crappy trailers, and no trespassing signs. Already fucked.
  18. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Rayder- I want to party with you cowboy. We definately have to ride together. Anyone who lives up there knows where the good stuff is. You guys have more trails than god has.
  19. rayder

rayder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tons o' trails. Thing is I'm not a chaingolegion. I've got the big pig gs and can only slow down and look whistfully up the single tracks. First and last three miles of every ride is sandy gravel though. Seriously considering a lighter "yard bike" for next summer, or at least a set of knobbies.
  20. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Yeah -- it seems that way... Looks like we'll have to settle for a cheap motel, but cabin sure seemed pretty cool....

I would HIGHLY recommend a lighter bike for your "backyard!!" Shit man, I've never seen better maintained singletrack than in your neck of the woods...Alot of those gravel/sand roads are perfect for the GS as well.... Looks like a set of TKC-80's are in your near future, my friend...