Day Trippin' with MountainNate

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by MountainNate, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Well, your gear did do good. Plus there doesn't appear to be any reason to change it out, except your helmet maybe, and your gloves. I changed to textile gear when I got my GS. It has good D30 padding, but when its hot I open every vent zipper I have. Sometimes I wonder how it will do if I go down since there is a lot of area that has basically no protection and probably less structural integrity with the zippers open.
    MountainNate likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get well quick. I broke my collarbone many years ago. The worst part of it was not riding for a couple of months. You should be back out riding before summer is over.
    Extremenc and MountainNate like this.
  3. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I had my accident I had a nice ride with some friends the weekend before. We met in Blowing Rock, NC and took the Parkway over towards the Parkway School where we exited and planned on riding Todd Railroad Grade road but the road there was closed so we just headed up 221 to West Jefferson, NC. We climbed up the side of Mount Jefferson for some amazing views of Jefferson and West Jefferson, NC. You may notice this is the same route I took as a solo trip back a while ago but it was so fun I wanted to share it with some ftriends.
    IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Ran into this guy riding a very clean 2 stroke Yamaha.
    IMG_1792.JPG
    ftb90, klaviator, AdvNuma and 2 others like this.
  4. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1791.JPG

The white Vstrom is mine. Isn't it crazy how I found someone with another Triple Rx.
    IMG_1793.JPG

From there we made our way over to NC88 and then turned North onto NC194 knowing this would take us into VA.

No one believed me when I stopped and said we're on the border as this was the only marker other than the pavement change of the road.
    Snapseed.jpg

What a crew of misfits. Some of the best friends to ride with though. Good times.
    Snapseed.jpg

From there we rode into VA and to VA58. Been wanting to showcase beautiful VA58 for a while now and I let the old Vstrom show its strength in the curves.
    klaviator, Lzeplin, AdvNuma and 3 others like this.
  5. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    We turned left onto VA58 and rode west all the way to Damascus, VA. Stopped for a little break and I said let me show you Backbone rock. We're only about 5 miles away. Went there and turned around back towards Damascus. Didn't take any pics since I've already been there a few times. From Damascus we took Hwy 91 back into Mountain City, TN and then I looked for a road called Forge Creek Road I've been wanting to ride. That road turned into Big Laurel Rd once back across the line into NC and brings you out onto NC88. Made a right onto NC88 and then went to Sutherland/Meat Camp Road which takes you beside beautiful Snake
    Mountain.
    IMG_1806.JPG

Note:Not my Triumph. This is a friends whom I met last year and him and his wife have been riding with my friend and I sometimes.
    Snake Mountain in the background.
    IMG_1815.JPG

Obligatory Vstrom pic.
    IMG_1824.JPG
    Once a few pictures were taken we came to the end of Meat Camp Road and took 194 back into Boone then back to Blowing Rock where we finished the day with a nice meal at the Town Tavern. What a wonderful day and time with friends. Can't wait to do it again. Until then. Keep the rubber side down! (Unlike me.) :wave
    popscycle, ccrider72, tireatr and 7 others like this.
  6. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found out about your accident. I was reading Extremenc' thread where you were waiting for the Dr. to clear you.
    Broken collar bone ! damn.
    Here's a story. I'll try to make it short.
    A co-worker of mine totaled his Suzuki Boulevard. He was disappointed because he was planning to go to bike week in Myrtle Beach.
    Another co-worker had pity on him and loaned him his 2 year old Harley. Well, you see where this is going right. He had an accident.
    He was at bike week. Wearing jeans, t-shirt and (gulp) no helmet. Someone cut him off and pushed him into the guard rail, then went down and skipped along the pavement for awhile. He too managed to pick up and get back to his hotel room. After looking in the mirror and seeing the damage he went to the hospital. He's back at work but the road rash will be healing for a long time.
    Rash on both arms, hands, one side and his head ! He didn't break his head though or anything else, somehow.
    The point here, of course, is the gear. Your leather spared you a lot of pain. How about your helmet! That saved more than your skin.
    Seriously, I'm wearing my helmet.
    Heal good man. Take your time.
    MountainNate likes this.
  7. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nate,

Get well soon!!!!!!!! Your equipment did it's job.
    MountainNate and Extremenc like this.
  8. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it was that time. The more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't need three bikes. Especially when two of them pretty much did the same thing. So I let one go yesterday. It was a fun bike for the short time I owned it.
    IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG
    Extremenc likes this.
  9. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nate,

Know what you mean. Had six bikes, but slowly trimming the herd down to two.

Hope you're feeling better!!!!!
    tireatr and MountainNate like this.
  10. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Healed up enough to install some Daytona 675R rear sets on the Street Triple. It was $82 just for the OEM brake pedal or $50 for this set of rear-sets from a track guy. :hmmmmm Just need to match the heel guards now and I'm set.
    Pretty much have everything fixed on the bike other than the turn signal and levers I'm waiting on delivery and the bar ends I've yet to order.
    IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

Other than laying around healing and slowly working on the bike I've been planning a route to Ohio for my friend and I in Ohio to attend the Motorcyle Show in Columbus, OH with some riding all around my childhood home/area. Looking forward to it.
    vfrcauv, Extremenc and bluestar like this.
  11. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update! Looks like things are coming together again for You and your beautiful Triumph!
    vfrcauv likes this.
  12. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    I love riding straight up 16 to 52 when I am heading that way. Took that route all the way to Indy for MotoGP a few years ago. Here is a rough idea of the route. No matter what, the last stretch heading into Columbus is going to suck. I've made that trip on Hwys 33 and 35 many times before. No getting around the flat lands once you're out of the mountains.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36....8.7690378,-82.7832291,7.79z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0
    vfrcauv likes this.
  13. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route! We're going to go the same way into WV but then head up through Charleston as our main destination is Marietta, OH where we will stay and ride all over the area and take back roads to C-bus for the show.
  14. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    First time back on a bike in 5 weeks so why not try some off-road. That's what we did. Played around in Wilson Creek until we reached the Parkway then went towards Blowing Rock to eat. Got rained on towards the end but man it was so great to ride again.
    Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg
    MickeyDee, OldCoot, AdvNuma and 6 others like this.
  15. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    YASSS

[​IMG]
    Extremenc and MountainNate like this.
  16. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you are on the mend and able to ride again, lots of fun roads between you and Columbus thru WV and SE OH, if I remember correctly you said you grew up around Marietta, some nice roads toward Athens and west of Athens, some are tight with many blind corner entry's that are deciptive look like they go one direction then go the other way, plus watch for signs of horse and buggy activity aka road apples, guite a few Amish communities scattered about. I lived outside of Athens in Albany and worked in Meigs County from 97-02.
    Extremenc likes this.
  17. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t worry. I haven’t forgot about everyone. Just been crazy busy and riding when I’m not. Did some adventuring yesterday. No off road but gonna be exploring some more roads soon weather permitting.
    Went up Shulls Mill Road outside of Blowing Rock, NC then over through Valle Crucis and did George’s Gap Road/Bethel Road. From there myself and 2 others went past Watuaga Lake and took a little break. Then headed into Hampton, TN, picked up a railroad path and made our way into Roan Mountain, TN. From there we climbed over Roan Mountain and back down the other side all the way to Spruce Pine, NC where we picked up Altapass Highway and we’re greated with the Blue Ridge Parkway at the end of the road. From there we took the BRP back over to Jonas Ridge, NC. It was a great day of fun, friends, and food.
    E4B67732-159B-4BEF-8607-E60FBE6773F3.jpeg

1F362E93-04CE-4972-978E-280F5264CD02.jpeg

37D4DC79-B3C9-4696-BB01-0166E2D2F096.jpeg

55FE71B8-EBFF-4E9F-9D07-D4175F94B84D.jpeg
    MickeyDee, OldCoot, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  18. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    5E5D3A1F-2959-4699-8018-67296D3E6D4C.jpeg

1CC027F9-7B0C-45AC-90BC-D6C6617BCF12.jpeg

Even saw my first ever Confederate Motorcycle Company bike in person when we stopped to eat. It was all aluminum and carbon fiber. Crazy. This was the Wraith 120 model for the cheap MSRP of $92,000
    EB8EBDE0-3F73-496A-AB24-37E0D9B68F1D.jpeg
    MickeyDee, Lzeplin, WRKITHOT and 7 others like this.
  19. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Good to see your write ups again, good roads to ride for sure.....and man that thing is Fugly. More fallen leaves than turned leaves for sure.
    Extremenc likes this.
  20. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to see your ride photos again!!!!

Have not read about Confederate Motorcycles, is that a hydraulic clutch on the front sprocket?
    Extremenc likes this.