DC - heading south - back to Kansas City

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Kean, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Kean

Kean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in DC at the moment for work and just wrapped up. I have up to two weeks (Thanks Giving) to get back to Kansas City (gotta burn up those vacation time). I plan to head south for a few days and then west/NW to get home. I will most likely ride Skyline and Blue Ridge. Is this route doable? Cold is okay, just not looking for any snow/ icy advanture. I am open to suggestions based your local route and weather knowledge though. So, tell me more.

Suggestions on reasonable accomodation are welcome as well. I brought my camping gears with me, but prefer hot shower this time of the year. So I like to get a motel room for cheap, or if any inmates like to host me that'll be ever better.

:ear Thanks in advance...
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Blue Ridge is fine, just make sure the weather's clear. First great place to stop would be either Boone or Blowing Rock, lots of hotels/motels and B&B's there. From there I would head down toward north GA and play around in the hills down there and then head back across TN and get to the Missouri/Arkansas border and play in the Mark Twain forest and head back to KC.

Don't know much about Tejas, only had the luxury of screaming across it and avoiding the DPS. Maybe Trip or Leo could help out on ideas there.
  3. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I rode over Thornton GAP(Crosses the Skyline at 211) on Friday and it was snowing and sticking to the ground. Pretty sure the Drive will be clear though as it was only sticking on the grass and trees. :deal
  4. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    Local weather said it was hovering about freezing at Wintergreen yesterday (BRP around MP 12-15 area/ Rt. 664) so it isn't going to be balmy. Forecast looks better though.
  5. Kean

Kean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the good info and feedbacks. :D

I will spend tomorrow hitting the smithsonians @ DC; and then Tues visiting Baltimore Aquarium and the harbor. Wed should be the tentative day i am hitting skyline/ blueridge. Hope weather cooperate. :norton